Another cat coming around our house

Old March 26th 05, 10:28 PM
Christine Geary

Default Another cat coming around our house

I would like to know about coaxing a feral cat into our house. Right now,
my mom and I have 3 indoor cats, 2 males and a female; they're all fixed.
Recently another cat has been coming around every now and then and one of
our male cats notices it. Every time I go to the door to try to coax the
cat inside, it runs away; I think it's just scared of people. BTW, our 3
cats were abandoned and I think feral that we rescued and kept.

Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

Christine

Old March 27th 05, 02:30 AM
wwwolf

Christine Geary wrote:

I would like to know about coaxing a feral cat into our house. Right now,
my mom and I have 3 indoor cats, 2 males and a female; they're all fixed.
Recently another cat has been coming around every now and then and one of
our male cats notices it. Every time I go to the door to try to coax the
cat inside, it runs away; I think it's just scared of people. BTW, our 3
cats were abandoned and I think feral that we rescued and kept.

Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

Christine

I've had first-hand experience with this. I've been able to tame 3 completly
feral cats. It takes 2-3 months. You make a particular call "like a wistle or
unique sound" when you see the cat. Try to work out a schedule every day and
place some mackeral by your front door. Make more of your unique sounds and
then go back inside. This will be a challenge, but after a while the cat will
start to tolerate you. (you can look at my magnificence but DON'T touch me).
This will eventually be followed by acceptance (OK, if you MUST touch me, I'll
tolerate it because it's you). Eventually they will consider you as the
mamma-tat and start rubbing against your leg. You can then start feeding them
in the doorway.

It has worked for me every time but it DOES take patience and consistency.

HTH,

Old March 30th 05, 01:03 PM
Larry Caligan via CatKB.com

We have been taming a feral kitten,and we started off by feeding it when we
fed the other cats. One of our cats lives outdoors so when we called him to
eat the kitten soon recognized when feeding time was. Little by little it
began to trust us and I soon was able to catch it and put it in a cage(
mind you this is a kitten) and now she is living in the den and is nearly
tame, she doesn't run away and really likes to cuddle. But you must be
patient. Food is the key. LarryC

Old April 10th 05, 09:16 PM
medusa

Christine Geary wrote:
I would like to know about coaxing a feral cat into our house. Right now,
my mom and I have 3 indoor cats, 2 males and a female; they're all fixed.
Recently another cat has been coming around every now and then and one of
our male cats notices it. Every time I go to the door to try to coax the
cat inside, it runs away; I think it's just scared of people. BTW, our 3
cats were abandoned and I think feral that we rescued and kept.

Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

Christine

I caught and tamed a feral pregnant female. I have 3 indoor-outdoor
formerly male cats and noticed them hanging around a black cat who was
hanging around a full male cat. He disappeared and she stayed around my
cats, eating the leftover cat food I was putting out on the deck to
entice her. When I noticed she had suddenly porked out, I realized she
was pregnant and caught her with cat food in a cage with a string tied
to the door which I pulled shut from inside the house (she ran whenever
I came out). I didn't want her having her kittens outside. I brought her
in cage and all and after she saw how my cats were fed, watered and
pooped, let her run around inside the house. She eventually figured out
I wasn't fattening her up for dinner. Took her to the vet and he said
"very pregnant" and she had her kittens that night. Took them all to the
vet after a few weeks for testing and they were all healthy. Found homes
for the kitties, kept mom and had her fixed. She is the sweetest thing.
She still isn't totally comfortable with me but loves to be petted and
brushed. She won't sit on my lap or rub my legs.

Have patience, feed it and you should be able to have a new friend.
My stray now comes and goes with the others and calls our house home.
Old April 16th 05, 07:13 PM

Do not bring another cat into your house unless you have had it tested
and vaccinated against the 2 feline leukemias.
some call the 2nd one feline aids. These conditions are very contagious
to otherwise healthy cats.

Just remember that it's a grand illusion

Deep inside we're all the same

STYX

The truth is out there.

X-files

Old April 18th 05, 01:21 PM
Ron Herfurth

`
wrote in message
Do not bring another cat into your house unless you have had it tested
and vaccinated against the 2 feline leukemias.
some call the 2nd one feline aids. These conditions are very contagious
to otherwise healthy cats.

There's only one feline leukemia (FeLV) and yes, it is contagious but there
is a vaccine. Feline Aids (FIV) has nothing to do with leukemia and is not
contagious at all. I understand that the only way it can be transmitted
between adult cats is if a healthy cat bites an FIV + cat.

ron

Old April 18th 05, 08:33 PM

Feline Aids is a term most of the vets I've spoken to do not use. They
say it is misleading. Yes it is spread by body fluids, but cats do bite
other cats who invade their territory. The only cat that

should not be vaccinated against feline "
AIDS" is a cat that never goes outside and is not around other cats. I
may be new to your group but I have many cats, 2 insiders and 5-6
outsiders. I have discussed this topic at length with their vet. No
cat should ever be introduced to your cats unless the blood tests are
negative and the vaccinations are up to date.

I lost 2 cats to feline leukemia before the vaccine was available. It
is not something anyone should have to go through. The blood tests (2)
take a small amount of blood and you can get your results in less than
15 minutes. I also have all of my animals vaccinated against rabies.
My vet said if the cats are outside at all they must have the
vaccination against Feline "AIDS". If any disease can be prevented why
would you take the chance of not doing it?

Cat Lady of Navarre, FL

Old April 19th 05, 03:00 PM
Ron Herfurth

I'm not aware of a vaccine against Feline AIDs (FIV).

There is a vaccine against Feline leukemia (FeLV).

ron

Old April 19th 05, 04:38 PM

There is a vaccine against feline AIDS (FIV). You may be confusing it
with FIP (feline infectious peritonitis). This is another cat disease
that is 100% fatal. Another reason I don't let my cats out of the
house.

Cat lady of Navarre, FL

Old April 24th 05, 04:52 AM

There is a vaccine against feline AIDS
(FIV)

And considering the risks there is no way in hell I would ever use it or
the leukemia vaccine. You need to stop talking to your vet and start
doing a lot of research. From:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...ivingwithf iv

"There are two basic types of vaccines. Modified live vaccines (MLVs)
contain live virus particles that have been altered through various
techniques so that it is no longer infectious, but will still reproduce
itself in the animal. These vaccines generally produce long-lasting
immunity.

The feline distemper vaccine is an example of an MLV. The other major
type is the killed vaccine. Killed vaccines contain virus particles that
have been completely inactivated and cannot reproduce. In order to
produce sufficient antibodies, a variety of agents are added to the
vaccine to "stimulate" the immune system. These agents are called
"adjuvants." Certain adjuvants have been implicated as causing
vaccine-associated fibrosarcoma, a particularly malignant and
hard-to-treat type of cancer. Killed vaccines include the rabies and
feline leukemia vaccines. Both of these vaccines are known to cause
fibrosarcomas. The new FIV vaccine is a killed vaccine, means that it,
too, is likely to cause tumor formation.

The most dangerous problem with the FIV vaccine is that a vaccinated cat
will test positive for FIV on all currently available tests, even the
most sensitive ones. Also, because the vaccine protects less than 70% of
vaccinated cats (critics argue that the real number may be less than
50%), if a vaccinated cat becomes ill, there is no way of knowing
whether or not he actually has active FIV. The vaccine manufacturer
(Fort Dodge) admits that this is a problem, but says that, hopefully, in
the future, a test may be developed that can distinguish between a
vaccinated cat and an infected one. For now, if an FIV-vaccinated cat is
unfortunate enough to become lost and end up in a shelter that tests for
FIV, he will most likely be euthanized. Feline experts are not
recommending this vaccine for the vast majority of cats."

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Jellicle Ball: Furrst Drafft ov Nayms The Clowder Cat community 70 November 27th 04 04:02 PM
Jellicle Ball: Final Calling of Names Mietze Cat community 20 November 12th 04 07:59 PM
The Cats House Gee Cats - misc 4 April 21st 04 11:06 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM
I'm gettin' a house! JLONL2 Cat anecdotes 2 December 6th 03 06:51 AM