Crying before and after using litter box

Old April 8th 05, 08:14 PM
Sidhe

Default Crying before and after using litter box

Hi there - I've had a good look though the archives, but thought I
would try this on some of the regular contributors.

I have a 6 year old female Burmilla, ex show cat (champion, no less !)
and breeding queen, but now a one cat indoor family (spayed). I've
been happily owned by my kitty for about 18 months and we've been
rubbing along just fine. She is noisy and loves attention, but no
more than any other Asian in the prime of life !

She's in perfect health - but recently I've noticed some quite strange
behaviour when she comes to use her litter box. The box is a large
style Littermaid and I use World's Best cat litter (and have done ever
since I had her).

Before she gets in the litter box she's started to go through a really
elaborate display, puffing up her tail and making deep and really loud
gutteral "calling" crys (sounds like a "wa-wa" rather than a "meow")
next to it. When she's done with the display, she just gets into the
box and does her business - no noise, no mess, no fuss, no discomfort.
Then she gets out, walks about a foot away from the box and repeats
the tail puffing and noise display. The vet has confirmed she's not
in pain or anything when urinating or defacating.

I've had cats all my life and never seen anything like it. It's like
she's advertising the fact she's using the box to me or something.
Any thoughts gratefully received ?
Old April 8th 05, 08:28 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
since I had her).

Before she gets in the litter box she's started to go through a really
elaborate display, puffing up her tail and making deep and really loud
gutteral "calling" crys (sounds like a "wa-wa" rather than a "meow")
next to it. When she's done with the display, she just gets into the
box and does her business - no noise, no mess, no fuss, no discomfort.
Then she gets out, walks about a foot away from the box and repeats
the tail puffing and noise display. The vet has confirmed she's not
in pain or anything when urinating or defacating.

How?
Was she checked for crystals in her urine as well?

Other than a health concern, I can't think of anything that would make a cat
do this.
Unless you inadvertently taught it to her by giving her love and attention
when she did it for some other reason that has since gone away ...

She isn't declawed, is she? Sometimes they learn to associate the litterbox
as being painful b/c the first week they use it after being declawed, it IS
painful. If she cried then and you gave her attention, she might have kept
the crying past the hurting stage.
It is also possible, though no one knows how probable, for declawed cats to
develop foot problems. If she's declawed, have her feet examined very well to
ensure she isn't regrowing the claws inside her feet or having other bone
problems.

One more thing: do you think she might be doing this because of the automatic
litterbox? Perhaps at one time, it made her uncomfortable or slightly scared
and she thinks she might keep it from moving while she cries, or something
similar? Just an off-the-wall thought. Cats can be a little unusual
sometimes. LOL

~kaeli~
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old April 8th 05, 08:52 PM

Thanks both - no, it's definitely not a urine infection or crystals -
the vet has checked for both.

Also, she's not declawed. My personal view is that is no way to treat
a cat except under the most extreme of medical circumstances.

The point about the automatic box is an interesting one though. I had
assumed the 12 min delay would be enough for her not to associate the
noise and motion with her use of the box. You may well be onto
something. I have a regular box (for travelling) and may set that up
nearby and see if she expresses a preference or it helps with the
noise.

From my point of view - it's fine, she's perfectly happy and my

neighbours are patient ! But I am curious from a behavioural point of
view.

Thanks again

Old April 9th 05, 02:18 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 08 Apr 2005 03:14:27p, Sidhe wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
. com):

I've had cats all my life and never seen anything like it. It's
like she's advertising the fact she's using the box to me or
something. Any thoughts gratefully received ?

My former feral Bonnie did this and I thought she had a URI. She
might have, but the vet couldn't get any urine from her (another
reason she thought she did, because a cat with a URI will eliminate
frequently because they feel the urge even if the bladder isn't
full). Vet prescribed antibiotics anyways, but even after the
course, Bonnie still had this behavior. Do you have more than one
litter box? She might want somewhere else to go number 2. That's
what Bonnie did, and still does to this day. Use one box, then go
use the other box in the other room.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Old April 9th 05, 02:39 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 08 Apr 2005 09:18:23p, Cheryl wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:Xns9632D8C2F4249shads@
216.196.97.136):

My former feral Bonnie did this and I thought she had a URI.

Obviously that should have been UTI, not URI.

Old April 9th 05, 02:43 AM
CatNipped

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 03:14:27p, Sidhe wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
. com):

I've had cats all my life and never seen anything like it. It's
like she's advertising the fact she's using the box to me or
something. Any thoughts gratefully received ?

My former feral Bonnie did this and I thought she had a URI. She
might have, but the vet couldn't get any urine from her (another
reason she thought she did, because a cat with a URI will eliminate
frequently because they feel the urge even if the bladder isn't
full). Vet prescribed antibiotics anyways, but even after the
course, Bonnie still had this behavior. Do you have more than one
litter box? She might want somewhere else to go number 2. That's
what Bonnie did, and still does to this day. Use one box, then go
use the other box in the other room.

One of mine does that. I have three boxes next to each other in my attached
garage (kitty door in the door leading to it - it makes it convenient for
them and I don't get litter all over my house), and one box way off to the
side (since Demi is so shy). Jessie will urinate in one of the three boxes
and then immediately walk over to "Demi's" box to deficate.

Hugs,

CatNipped