Troll-B-Que - Christmas Morning

Old December 19th 03, 07:43 PM
Julie Cook

Default Troll-B-Que - Christmas Morning

On another newsgroup our very own Karen (Kajikit) asked what to serve
for a quiet family Christmas breakfast. During the past Troll-B-Que I
had intended to post the following recipe which is a perfect breakfast
for a very busy morning, yet elegant enough for a special occasion like
Christmas. Because it is prepared beforehand and all that is left to do
in the morning is put it in the oven I've always thought it would be
perfect for those families who are trying to have Santa with children
yet need to feed those children as well. I usually serve this with a
prepared bread similar to cinnamon rolls or Pillsbury Orange rolls and
maybe a bowl of fruit and some juice.

Egg and Sausage Strata
(original recipe from Cream City Bed and Breakfast, Plymouth, WI)

1 pound bulk pork sausage
8 ounces sour cream
6 whole English muffins (sour dough, whole wheat, plain)
1 pound grated Monterey Jack cheese
6 extra large eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

Brown and drain pork sausage. Mix soup and sour cream together. Crumble
muffins and place in greased 9" x 13" baking pan. Mix eggs and milk
together in separate bowl. Layer in pan (in the following order):
sausage, grated cheese, and soup mixture onto the crumbled muffins.
Smooth with spatula. Pour milk and egg mixture over all (poke with sharp
knife to help absorb milk mixture). Wrap with plastic wrap and foil and
refrigerate overnight. Next day bake uncovered at 300 degrees for 1
hour. Allow to sit for 5 minutes after removing from oven. Cut into
squares and serve. Reheats and freezes well.

(You can double recipe, make two and freeze one for later!)

Change I have made to recipe:

1. I put the muffins in the food processor and process them into
course crumbs.
2. I use 1 1/2 pounds of sausage and I process the cooked sausage in
the food processor to make it finely chopped
3. I use Kraft 4-Cheese grated cheese instead of Monterey Jack cheese

Enjoy,
Julie Cook

Old December 19th 03, 09:18 PM
Nan

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:43:53 -0500, Julie Cook
wrote:

[...]

Yummy! That sounds soooooooo good! Thanks for putting in that it
reheats and freezes well. I live alone and it would be a bit too much
for one sitting.

Nan
Old December 19th 03, 09:26 PM
Cheryl

Julie Cook wrote in on 19 Dec 2003:

Egg and Sausage Strata
(original recipe from Cream City Bed and Breakfast, Plymouth, WI)

That sounds yummy! The next troll-b-queue I hope to have in my possesion a
recipe for Italian Meat Pie. We had a pot luck at work the other day and a
guy I work with made this and it would be YUMMY for a brunch or breakfast
feast. One of those things you only eat for special occasions.

--
Cheryl

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I
can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
- Helen Keller