"Vucket" "Wish List"

Old February 15th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default "Vucket" "Wish List"

My recommendation to everybody is to pick out the most important thing on
your list, and do it as soon as you can. You never know what could come up
to keep you from doing things, so do as many of them as you can.

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

wrote in message

This is a great topic. I'm not sure what "Vucket" means, actually it
sounds vaguely profane. I gather that it refers to the list of things
one wants to do before going on to the big cat-rescue center in the sky.

(Hey, I don't know about you, but that's where *I'm* going.)

Some things on my list (from the top of my head):

- Lots o' travels. I have done very little travelling, actually, so I
have a lot of places to see. Top of the list is Southern Spain. Why?
I don't know exactly. It just sounds beautiful. All that Moorish
architecture and culture, Mediterranean climate, and the fact that if
I were there for any length of time, I'd pick up the language. But there
are other places, too: Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey, Israel, Greece,
and Bulgaria. Plus, the UK and Ireland, Denmark and Sweden. Lately
I've been thinking that Vietnam would be a lovely place to visit.

- Also in the travelling vein, but more touristy: I really want that
lie-in-the-sun-in-a-tropical-paradise-for-a-week vacation. You know,
the one where you drink alcoholic concoctions from a coconut shell?
And swim in turquoise, bath-temperature water? Stay in a lovely hotel
with a shower the size of my kitchen? I've actually had a couple of
those vacations, but they were marred by bad company: one was with my
dad when I was 24. He was a real jerk the entire week and totally
ruined it for me. The other was with a company I worked for about 12
years ago. They took us to Hawaii for a *weekend*. (Don't ask.) I hated
that job and couldn't stand anyone who worked there. I wanna go to a
paradise with someone I like!! Doesn't have to be a romantic partner,
someone I don't hate will suffice.

- Live in some kind of intentional community. Co-housing, maybe? I'm a
little too old and too private for a commune. But I really love the
idea of being near people who know me. My life often feels so scattered,
with friends all over the place. I'm not close enough to my family of
origin to want to live with/near them, and I never spawned my own family.
I don't have a partner, so, it's just me and my cats. Gets a little
lonely sometimes. I'd really like a stable community to belong to.

- Have some great musical group record and perform songs I've written. I
sing myself, but I'm not really a professional quality performer. So I'd
be just as happy if a more polished group did the honors. One that had
similar musical values to my own, that is - I really don't want a heavy
metal version of my stuff.

- Take a bunch of art classes. I want to learn how to do mosaic,
especially
with colored glass pieces.

- The older I get, the more I feel like I'm meant to do some kind of work
with animals. I don't know what, though - other than what I do already,
but I mean paying work. I don't have any ideas at the moment.

Joyce

Old February 15th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

"Vucket" most probably means that our slave didn't use the spell checker
before she sent the message. Should have been "Bucket" Mz Piglet thinking
maybe they need to replace their secretary.

Old February 15th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

My recommendation to everybody is to pick out the most important thing on
your list, and do it as soon as you can. You never know what could come up
to keep you from doing things, so do as many of them as you can.

I might refine that a bit and instead, try to do the more easily
accomplished ones as soon as I can. In my list, it's the mosaic class.
Then, maybe some of the trips. I could probably swing some version of
the lying-on-the-sand vacation, too - maybe not with as much luxury as
I fantasize, but still pleasant. But I don't want to do it alone, so I
need to find a travel partner. I don't know anyone who has that kind of
vacation in mind.

I forgot to list one travel destination I yearn for, because I was so
busy focusing on where I might want to go abroad. But one that's not very
far from me is the Best Friends Animal Society in Utah. It sounds like
a pain to get to, but I could manage it, and I could afford it. And I
could even go alone, because once i got there, I'd have plenty of people
and animals to relate to.

Having an intentional community to live in is a long-term project. Not
only is such a thing hard to create or find, but I'm not ready for it, in
a number of ways. I don't have the money to buy property. And I don't have
the temperament to live in close proximity to other people. I'm just too
grumpy and paranoid right now. So I have to work on myself, get over some
of this depression and negative thinking/moods, before I can even consider
making a home with other people. That's probably a later-on kind of project.

I get your point about "Do it now, because we never know when we'll run
out of time," the whole "carpe diem" thing. But the fact is, if I'm not
ready now, I'm not ready now - whether I have 10 years in which to become
ready, or I only have 3 days, and therefore will never be ready. Just
because it would be useful to be able to fly if cornered by a tiger, that
doesn't mean a human being will suddenly sprout wings, if you catch my
meaning. Some of my dreams probably won't come true because I'm not able
to do them in the time I have allotted. That's unfortunate, but it's life.
I try not to compound the stress by putting too much pressure on myself.

Joyce
Old February 15th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default "bucket" "Wish List"

Joy wrote:

wrote in message

This is a great topic. I'm not sure what "Vucket" means, actually it
sounds vaguely profane. I gather that it refers to the list of things
one wants to do before going on to the big cat-rescue center in the sky.

(Hey, I don't know about you, but that's where *I'm* going.)

Actually, it's just a typo. The movie that inspsired the topic is called
"Bucket List", in which two men with cancer make a list of the things they
want to do "before we kick the bucket".

Duh, I'm an idiot.

Joyce
Old February 15th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

somewhere in Utah or Nevada there is a hotel where they provide a cat for
you in your room if you want, I lost the link, Lee

Old February 15th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

You're absolutely right! There are some things we can't do, but it's nice
to dream about them. And there are things we may do someday, but we may not
be ready for them yet. I jumped out of an airplane on my 70th birthday, but
there's no way I could have done that even one year earlier.

The important thing is to have at least some things on your list that you
can achieve, and go after at least one of them.

Joy

Old February 15th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Having an intentional community to live in is a long-term project. Not
only is such a thing hard to create or find, but I'm not ready for it, in
a number of ways. I don't have the money to buy property. And I don't have
the temperament to live in close proximity to other people. I'm just too
grumpy and paranoid right now. So I have to work on myself, get over some
of this depression and negative thinking/moods, before I can even consider
making a home with other people. That's probably a later-on kind of project.

What I found living in one 30 years ago was that temperament didn't
matter a damn. What counted was people's economic interests. You
need to look at what ties people have outside the community and where
those ties are going to pull them. You can live with somebody with
funny moods a lot easier than with someobody who wants to sell the
whole place up as soon as possible for whatever the market will bear,
however charming they may be about it.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old February 15th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_2_]

wrote:

Having an intentional community to live in is a long-term project. Not
only is such a thing hard to create or find, but I'm not ready for it, in
a number of ways. I don't have the money to buy property. And I don't have
the temperament to live in close proximity to other people. I'm just too
grumpy and paranoid right now. So I have to work on myself, get over some
of this depression and negative thinking/moods, before I can even consider
making a home with other people. That's probably a later-on kind of project.

Joyce

Having an intentional community can happen even if you live in an
apartment. My neighbors and I don't speak to each other because they
have nothing nice to say to me, but I have incredible support in the
community. I belong to a couple of organizations that I really fit in
with. One of those is the Church and the other is a group of people who
have the same disabilities that I do. I have found a great fit with
these two groups - your groups of course would be different. These
people have kept me housed and fed and brought me things I needed when I
was sick and an incredible myriad of other things. I have been able to
support them when they needed it and the company has been wonderful for
them and for me. When I get done with school, I am not even considering
moving to get a job. I will settle for lower pay and fewer benefits to
stay in my community it is so satisfying and it doesn't include family,
neighbors, a significant other, a roommate or a special immediate
community, like seniors have in certain areas. It took me a long time to
find the groups I really fit in with, but I wouldn't trade them for the
world now that I have them.

Bridget
Old February 15th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

The problem I have with groups that "have the same disabilities I do" is
that they tend to get in a rut. There gets to be too much thinking you
"can't do that". Bull, I can do anything I am physically able. Yes,
someone may have to lead me through the path but, that doesn't mean I
shouldn't walk the path because someone else tends to limit themselves.
Stereotype thinking really gets my goat. I have more abilities than
disabilities and have taught my children to look at people that way.

Old February 15th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I will NEVER be ready to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, provided I
can ever find a perfectly good airplane, Lee