Cats in surgery today

Old October 16th 04, 06:56 AM
-L. :

kaeli wrote in message . ..
snip-eroo

I mean, really, do you need someone else to tell you that cutting
off body parts of living animals might be a tad immoral, in and of itself,
regardless of what might or might not go wrong with behavior or health?

This is what slays me about declawing, cropping and docking.
Absolutely *no reason* to do any of these things, yet people do it ad
nauseum.

-L.
Old October 16th 04, 04:46 PM
Barb

It's not so much that they need it (I clip my kitties claws, all 4 paws) as
it makes life easier on the carpet and on my legs. *g*
Less accidental damage from claws with no tips. My furkids race around like
crazy when they get to playing and you can just _hear_ the nails digging
into
the carpet for purchase for quick take-offs. *LOL*
And when they start racing over furniture, same thing. They use my couch
like
it's their own personal jungle gym. Keeping the tips off saves the couch
there, too. My couch has no scratches, despite being used as a kitty diving
platform. Damage done from that sort of thing is almost always the rear
claws.

Well, maybe I should start considering clipping the back claws a bit. My
new leather ottoman has several claw marks already. The sofa's okay. The
claw marks bother me a little but I can't say they bother me a lot.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old October 16th 04, 06:58 PM
Electric Nachos

A cat without claws is nothing more than a pussy.

Interesting to see what you've chosen to surround yourself with. LOLOL

Old October 18th 04, 03:00 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
kaeli wrote in message . ..
snip-eroo

I mean, really, do you need someone else to tell you that cutting
off body parts of living animals might be a tad immoral, in and of itself,
regardless of what might or might not go wrong with behavior or health?

This is what slays me about declawing, cropping and docking.
Absolutely *no reason* to do any of these things, yet people do it ad
nauseum.

I know, right?

There is a valid reason for dewclaw removal in *some* dogs (breeds who tend
to rub at their eyes can indeed badly damage themselves, though it's rare,
and hunting/working dogs tend to get the claws ripped off during work) and
the docking of the tail in FEW dogs (real working hunting dogs who damage
their tails during work bashing them on trees), but the VAST majority of
these surgeries are done with no thought as to whether they are really needed
to protect the animal. They're done purely for aesthetic reasons (tails,
ears), or in the case of declawing, owner convenience. Dobermans aren't even
used for hunting or working most of the time and yet everyone still docks the
tails, removes the dewclaw, and crops the ears. Same for Rotties and Weimies.
How many people actually hunt with their Weimerainer (sp?)?

At least with the dogs dews and tails, it started out as a benefit to the
dog. We need to stop doing it on dogs that won't benefit from it, though. 99%
of dogs that get it done don't need it.
I don't know who decided cutting off part of the ear and wiring it up was a
good thing. That needs to stop NOW.

My 2 cents...

~kaeli~
Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old October 18th 04, 03:00 PM
kaeli