Advice needed

Old June 10th 04, 08:47 AM
Tracy

Just to do the devil's advocate thing: I live in the US, on a quiet,
residential one-way street in an urban area. My two cats are
indoor/outdoor - they have access to the outdoors during the day and
are brought in each evening (they come when I call and every once in a
while we have a bit of a chase, but the call of dinner always wins out
in the end). I do worry, of course, but they're both doing well.

I do think 24 hour outdoor access can be asking for trouble, but not
everything needs to be so black and white. One cat, who is hyper and
super-intelligent really does need the outside - she goes bezonkers in
the house from lack of stimulation and loves being outside. I couldn't
bear to take it from her. She only sleeps about 8 hours a day, if
that, and she just gets bored inside. The other cat, a former feral,
can take or leave the outside, but is happy enough to while away the
day chasing butterflies behind her favorite bush.

On our block, there are about 8 owned cats that roam around, and all
of them come around periodically to interact with my two and they all
seem to be doing OK. None of them have dissappeared or gotten hurt and
I see them all the time so no - not all US cats live exclusively
indoors by any means, although many people, like me, do restrict the
outdoor time somewhat.

It depends on what your cat wants and needs. They do have different
personalities and some are more content as indoor cats than others.
You're the best judge of what your cats needs are. The busy street is
a problem. Mine rarely cross the street, if ever (they are discouraged
from doing so), but when I've seen explorer cat do it (once), she did
look to see if any cars are coming.
(It's a one way street and not heavily traveled - which helps).

My neighborhood is cat-friendly and animal-friendly. Everybody knows
the cats and we pet each others when they visit. The only wild animals
around - skunks and raccoons - are only an issue at night when my cats
are inside.

Nothing is guaranteed of course, although it helps knowing that the
vast majority of my neighbors WOULD brake for a cat and WOULDN'T leave
antifreeze congealed on the pavement, but I know that at least one of
my cats would rather live 10 years outside than 20 inside all of the
time. She shows me that everyday. (And very forcefully when I have
tried to keep her in). It's not the life she wants. And in the end,
loving any being is respecting their choices, not just locking them up
to keep them safe.

She's well-trained, she's bright, I supervise her when I can and the
rest of the time I just hope for the best. So far, so good.

Old June 10th 04, 09:30 AM
Sherry

Just to do the devil's advocate thing: I live in the US, on a quiet,
residential one-way street in an urban area.

I dunno. I read your post and tried to imagine what it's like there...the main
hang-up for me is that you described the street as "busy." And that the cats-
"rarely cross it. It's a crap shoot, IMO, and the odds aren't in your favor
enough that I'd feel comfortable letting them out to roam. It's just that *one
time* you look out, and your cat is dead in the road. It only takes one
speeding idiot. You have to judge whether you're willing to take that risk. I
don't think I would. Secondly, are the other neighborhood cats. FIP is pretty
common here, there's really no vaccine for it. I wouldn't want mine hanging
around with other people's cats.
Just my .02

Sherry

Old June 10th 04, 04:29 PM
Tracy

No Sherry, I described the street as "not busy". I described it as
one-way and not heavily traveled. It was the original poster from
England who described their street as busy.

And I'm really not very worried about FIP. They've interacted over
100+ times with the ten or so cats in the neighborhood and come home
with nary a scratch or a bite. My cats are girls - LOL - they don't
fight - they make peace. The cats on the block are my neighbor's owned
and collared cats. There are two dogs that run around sometimes, but
the cats know them and are friendly with them. (One's a little yappy
black dog not much bigger than them and the other is a mellow Golden
Retriever). Cats do have speed, the ability to jump in the air, a
house to retreat into and sharp claws. They aren't defenseless at all.

Am I taking a risk? Sure. Life's a risk. But in the meantime, I have
two of the happiest cats that I have ever seen (and I volunteer at a
no-kill shelter weekly so I see a lot of cats - mine are profoundly
joyful in their freedom). And as I said, one of my cats desperately
needs the outside. She leaves me no other choice. (And yes, she has
cat trees and perches and a basketful of toys and a companion and none
of that occupies her for more than hour or two - she's bright and
she's easily bored and she desn't and won't sleep her day away).

As worrisome as it is, and I must admit that this group is enough to
give a person nightmares, people are so obsessed with violence towards
cats and disasters, I think it's the best thing for me and my cats.

Old June 10th 04, 05:32 PM
jeannie

"Tracy" wrote in message
om...
As worrisome as it is, and I must admit that this group is enough to
give a person nightmares, people are so obsessed with violence towards
cats and disasters, I think it's the best thing for me and my cats.

That is soooo true, Tracy. Although I have received a lot of useful advice
here, the tone of the group is all a bit doom and gloom. I am in the UK and
I *personally* don't know of anyones cat that has died of anything other
than disease or old age and all of these were indoor/outdoor cats. I have
also never seen a dead cat at the side of the road and I do a lot of driving
with my job so I sort of wonder how common it actually is.

To the OP: At the end of the day *you* have to assess how safe your area is
and no-one in this group can do that for you. If the boy racers in the
football club car park are a problem, keep the cat in at night (I am
presuming here that the racers only turn up at night). This will also cut
down on the little "presents" AKA "dead mice" your cat will bring you as
they mainly hunt at night. As far as the road goes, I don't know, only you
can decide how much of a risk it is.

Jeannie