Cats in surgery today

Old October 5th 04, 09:04 PM
KellyH

"ceb2" wrote in message
m...
We have three 5 month old kittens; Princess Consuela Bananahammock
(don't ask), Roxie, and Grizabella. Today, they are all in surgery to
get spayed and declawed.
I know the general feeling among cat owners is that declawing is cruel
and inhumane. Please, no flames and no guilt flingers. I already feel
bad enough, but we have our reasons.
They are at Banfield Animal Hospital who have assured us that their
procedure is much more humane because they don't do a full amputation
and that since they are being spayed at the same time, it will be an
easier recovery.
I am looking for insight from owners of declawed cats. Should I expect
their behavior to be the same? They all have their own distinct
personality and I would hate for that to change.

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANTI DECLAWING FLAMERS NOR AM I LOOKING FOR A
DEBATE!

People who declaw without knowing any better make me sad, but declawing even
AFTER you researched is just ****ing cruel! Yes, I'm breaking my own
anti-cursing rule because this warrants it!! How can you research declawing
and still but your sweet little kittens through that??
I had my cat Dash(RB) declawed, but I do plead ignorance on that. I was 16
when I got her, and she was a swiper, and my parents didn't like having the
furniture scratched, so off to be declawed. She was a biter, and never
covered her poop. She was a tempermental cat anyway, so I can't really say
if the declawing had any effect on that.
That animal hospital either doesn't know what they are talking about, or is
flat-out lying to you. Thanks for posting their name so we can all bombard
them with calls.
If you weren't looking for a debate or to be flamed, you came to the wrong
place!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old October 5th 04, 10:02 PM

ceb2 wrote:

We have three 5 month old kittens;
Princess Consuela Bananahammock
(don't ask), Roxie, and Grizabella. Today,
they are all in surgery to get spayed and
declawed.
I know the general feeling among cat
owners is that declawing is cruel and
inhumane. Please, no flames and no guilt
flingers. I already feel bad enough, but we
have our reasons.

You *should* feel bad. Inflicting pain and totally unnecessary
amputations on 3 innocent kittens who depend on you to care for them
humanely and with kindness is unconscionable. Did it ever occur to you
that if you feel bad about this, maybe you shouldn't go through with it?
You knew about this newsgroup so why aren't you posting asking for help
with whatever clawing issues you had so we could help you and the
kittens wouldn't have to suffer unnecessarily?

They are at Banfield Animal Hospital

Oh yeah, Banfield, which is AFAIC the "dollar store" of vet clinics and
has, IMO, some of the most unethical people I've come across.

who have assured us that their
procedure is much more humane

because
they don't do a full amputation and that
since they are being spayed at the same
time, it will be an easier recovery.

They lied to you. First of all, it goes against all common sense to
think that putting a kitten through major abdominal surgery *and* 10
separate and painful amputations at the same time is "easier" on them
than just doing a spay.

Second, if they don't do a complete amputation the kitten is at an even
greater risk for complications and resulting pain, etc.
I did a little googling and found out that you live in the Waterbury, CT
area. There is a Banfield Hospital located there so I called to inquire
about how they declaw cats. I got two different answers. The person that
answered the phone said they just take the nail out, then the vet (a
very *young* sounding vet) got on the phone and said that she does a
complete disarticulation of the first joint. In other words, a complete
amputation.

If this is the hospital you are using they have intentionally deceived
you. What I found even more shocking was that the vet, obviously
defensive, went on to say that, and this is a direct quote, "they are up
and walking around the next day as if nothing happened." This is such
complete and utter bull****, and this vet intentionally made it sound as
though declawing is no big deal. She was selling it for all she was
worth. I was absolutely disgusted.

I also noticed in my search that your wife was in a serious car accident
a few years ago and had some pretty bad injuries. Knowing the kind of
pain that your wife suffered partly as a result of bone trauma, it is
mystifying to me how you could intentionally inflict the same pain and
trauma multiple times on innocent kittens.

I am looking for insight from owners of
declawed cats. Should I expect their
behavior to be the same? They all have
their own distinct personality and I would
hate for that to change.

Click on the link to my photo album and read about Mister Mistopheles
and what happened to him as a result of being declawed. He was *lucky*
that he got saved from the grim reaper. Most cats in his situation
aren't. While you're at it, read why a shelter in Jersey doesn't allow
cats they adopt out to be declawed anymo

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...wson.webtv.net

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANTI
DECLAWING FLAMERS NOR AM I
LOOKING FOR A DEBATE!

This is a public forum and people are free to say anything they choose.
You've been on Usenet long enough to know that what you want and what
you get are often two entirely different things. Your defensiveness is a
clear indicator that you know what you are doing is wrong. I'm hoping
that in reality you haven't really gone through with it yet and there's
still time to save these kittens from what is an extremely barbaric and
cruel act. If that's the case, I and others here would be more than
willing to help you find ways to deal humanely with whatever scratching
issues you have.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 5th 04, 10:21 PM
Cat Protector

That seems obvious. Those that declaw after knowing the facts don't often
have a change of heart.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Mary" wrote in message
news
Ceb2 DOES NOT FEEL BAD, CP.

Old October 5th 04, 10:21 PM
Cat Protector

That seems obvious. Those that declaw after knowing the facts don't often
have a change of heart.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Mary" wrote in message
news
Ceb2 DOES NOT FEEL BAD, CP.

Old October 6th 04, 12:11 AM
ceb2

(ceb2) wrote in message om...
[...]

To all of you:

F*CK YOU AND BITE ME!! None of you know me none of you know my
situation. You want to know how we got our cats? Princess was rescued
from some ******* who never fixed or fed his cats. Her mom was skin
and bones, and so was she. Literally smaller than a softball. She was
our first. She cried all the time if I wasn't holding her. We nursed
her back to health and she is perfectly fit now. Roxie was second. She
came from the Connecticut humane society. No one wanted her. She was
mean, aggressive, and hissed at any person or cat who came near her.
We took a chance and she gets along great with Princess and the new
one. Grizabella came from the Waterbury CT dog pound. She ended up
there because the pet store couldn't sell her. She was the runt of the
litter, already scheduled for euthansia. She came home with a yeast
infection in her ears, worms, and kennel cough. That's right kennel
cough. We ended up medicating all of them, and she needed ear drops
for three weeks.

So all of you just back off. No one here has the right to judge me. We
gave these cats not only a shot, but a happy exsistance, and in
perhaps more than one case, exsistance period.

We had a chance to see them this afternoon a matter of hours after the
surgery and all are doing fine. Tired but fine. They are all eating
and Roxie is trying to play with the other two.

I am not a lurker or a troll. I came here for the same reasons you all
did. To talk about my cats. Buncha freakin hypocrites.

If any of you want to talk about cats please let me know, seriously,
these cats are wonderful, and I love to talk about them. If you want
to jam your opinion down my throat, don't bother.

Old October 6th 04, 12:24 AM
Cat Protector

I have to agree with the group here. Knowingly declawing after have gathered
all the facts is disgusting. I have to wonder where your conscious was? It
wasn't as if these cats were declawed before you rescued them. Your having
these cats declawed was a very abusive act. It is sad that you would first
post your intentions of declawing but even sadder acting as if you are proud
of it. These cats depended on you to keep them safe and you violated their
trust. You should ashamed of yourself!

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com