Offensive Spayed and Neutered Comments

Old October 15th 04, 04:27 PM
Phil P.

"J1Boss" wrote in message

I surely do not agree with the OP's practice of pumping out kittens. I

also
support and encourage rescue and shelter adoptions. That said, it seems

like a
whole lot of people here are totally against any breeding, with the idea

that
everyone would adopt if not able to purchase a purposely bred animal.

That
doesn't really happen

I'm not the least bit surprised you feel that way.

If they can't have the breed they want, they don't want any cat, huh?
People like that do not love cats as a *species*, they only "love" a
specific breed. Kinda like racists.

Old October 15th 04, 05:06 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

"J1Boss" wrote in message

I surely do not agree with the OP's practice of pumping out kittens. I

also
support and encourage rescue and shelter adoptions. That said, it seems

like a
whole lot of people here are totally against any breeding, with the idea

that
everyone would adopt if not able to purchase a purposely bred animal.

That
doesn't really happen

I'm not the least bit surprised you feel that way.

If they can't have the breed they want, they don't want any cat, huh?
People like that do not love cats as a *species*, they only "love" a

specific breed. Kinda like racists.

Andit is all artificial, and all tied to social status attached to one
"breed" or another. It is horse ****.

Old October 15th 04, 07:12 PM
Sherry

I would love to adopt a cute little kitten but I can't afford the adoption
fee and didn't want to answer a lot of personal questions. Do you think I
could adopt a kitten from you for free, too? Please let me know where and
when I can pick up a kitten.

Thank you.

Take them all, Phil. And the mother too. Please.

Sherry

Old October 15th 04, 08:04 PM
ceb

Marie wrote in
:

I thought that taking kittens that were being given away (like the
freebie section of the paper) helped also, b/c then those kittens
wouldn't be sent to the shelter.
I feel guilty now for getting mine from the paper. Well next time I
will know.

I think adopting via the paper and adopting from the shelter are
essentially the same thing, as far as need goes. Probably most
individuals who are trying to place unwanted kittens will eventually take
them to the shelter if they don't find homes for them. I also think that
different areas of the country are different -- here there are fewer
newspaper ads, but when I lived in Salt Lake the paper had many ads every
day for kittens.

I should say, I adopted Nickleby through the newspaper, Madeline was
given to me by the mother of the young man that she (Madeline) had tried
to adopt (who couldn't have a cat in his apartment), Finster came from a
shelter (and turned out to be both FeLV and FIV positive), and Rosalie
came from a local group who rescues cats, both from shelters and ferals.

The thing is, the problem is so big, that whoever one picks to save, it
means there are a whole lot of kitties one didn't pick. If you pick a
kitten, then you're not saving an adult cat. If you pick a cat with a
personality you like, then what about the seemingly unfriendly cat in the
next cage? If you pick a healthy cat, what about cats with health care
issues? They all deserve homes and there just aren't enough homes and
it's really an awful situation.

For me, when I have gone looking for cats, I have each time met the right
one -- by going out and looking and meeting cats and listening to my gut
about what I need, what they need, and what I can handle. And I think
that's the best we can all do. Some can handle more cats, some can handle
difficult cases, sometimes we're at a point in our lives where we can
help more, sometimes we just need the huggiest cat in the whole world...

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead