Please crosspost.

Old November 23rd 05, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Please crosspost.

I got this in my mail today..........

Nanny

PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST - PLEASE CROSSPOST EVERYWHERE

11/22/05 approximately 3:00 pm

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I write this post. I can't stop
crying. We need help!

There's been a gas explosion at the Mason County shelter in Point
Pleasant
WV. It happened during the installation of the new heating system.

All of the following information was gathered in the first hour after
the
explosion. Details may change as things settle down and volunteers get
there to help assess the situation.

All of the staff members made it out alive. Danielle, the shelter
director,
has suffered smoke inhalation from going back in to rescue animals.

Of all the cats/kittens at the shelter, only one made it out alive. It
had
to be resuscitated. No idea if it will live.

It is believed that all of the puppies died in the fire and
smoke...the
staff couldn't get to the puppy or cat rooms to pull them out.

They were able to get to the large dog kennels and pull out a lot of
the
dogs. They basically pushed them out the door and the dogs are running
loose. Not all got out. Some died in the initial explosion, others
probably
of smoke inhalation. Initial estimate is that approximately 50-60 dogs
were
pushed out the door by the dedicated kennel staff who refused to give
up
trying to save them.

At the moment, the building appears to be a total loss. All they have
is
possibly the use of a few outside pens. The remaining dogs are being
rounded up now.

It's cold in WV...there's no indoor place to house these animals.

Supplies needed (I'm sure this list will grow)

Dog food

Water & food bowls

Leashes & collars

They need a building...can someone in or near Mason County WV loan
them the
use of a vacant building until they can move these dogs out to
rescues? For
location purposes, their zip code is 25550. Shelter is located in
Point
Pleasant.

The rescues they work with on a regular basis have been contacted and
hopefully will be able to take some dogs into foster care.

This is the home of the Mason County Animal Welfare League (MCAWL), a
group
of volunteers that have been trying to make this a no-kill shelter. If
you've seen any posts about them recently, you know how hard they've
been
working to help these animals. Email contacts are volunteers who are
not
located at the shelter, so anyone wishing to help can still reach them
via
the email address on the website:

Here is the Petfinder site:
http://masoncounty.petfinder.com

As we find out which dogs are alive, we will put the word ALIVE next
their name on the site.

PLEASE CROSSPOST EVERYWHERE

Above is a forwarded message. Help if you can and pass it along.
Thanks!