Purevax rabies vaccine

Old October 13th 04, 12:21 AM
---MIKE---

Default Purevax rabies vaccine

Does anyone know why the Purevax rabies vaccine is only good for one
year while the others are good for up to three years? Is it likely that
the Purevax will someday become a three year vaccine? I prefer the
safety of the Purevax but would prefer not to have to vaccinate every
year.

---MIKE---

Old October 13th 04, 06:22 AM
Phil P.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Does anyone know why the Purevax rabies vaccine is only good for one
year while the others are good for up to three years?

Purevax rabies is only *licensed* for one year because the vaccine efficacy
study was only conducted for one year. Merial wanted to get the vaccine on
the market as soon as possible.

An unofficial source at Merial told me when the vaccine first came out that
"the vaccine is probably protective for much longer than one year" - didn't
say how much longer.

Is it likely that
the Purevax will someday become a three year vaccine?

Probably.

I prefer the
safety of the Purevax but would prefer not to have to vaccinate every
year.

I know how you feel. I'm quite irritated by the rabies vaccine law in NJ.
There hasn't been a documented case of feline rabies in this State in 25
years.

Phil

Old October 14th 04, 11:03 AM
Wendy

"Phil P." wrote in message

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
[...]

According to the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services,
Division of Epidemiology, Environmental, and Occupational Health Infectious
and Zoonotic Diseases Program there were 17 cases of Rabies in Cats in 2002
and a total of 215 cases between January 1989 and December 2002.

http://www.noah-health.org/english/i...ro/rabies.html There is a link
to the PDF file at the bottom of the page under statistics

Old October 14th 04, 12:35 PM
Phil P.

"Wendy" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! Thanks for the correction. Would you believe a human medical doctor a
the county hospital told me that?

The number of specimens tested (at the very bottom of the page) is very
upsetting.

Phil

Old October 14th 04, 04:44 PM
Phil P.

"Wendy" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
[...]

My mistake. What I meant was there hasn't been a documented case of human
rabies acquired from a cat in 25 years in NJ. Actually, that wasn't
correct, either! There has *never* been a documented case of human rabies
acquired from a cat in NJ!

Also, there hasn't been a case of human rabies acquired from a dog since
1956.

" In 1997, a New Jersey man was diagnosed with rabies. He had removed bats
from his house and may have been bitten by a bat in the process. *This was
the first human case of rabies since 1971*, when a man was bitten by a bat
and received partial treatment with the previously used rabies vaccine."

"New Jersey experienced its last case of canine rabies in 1956 "

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/rabies.htm

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/trends.htm