how many calories in a bird?

Old July 18th 03, 10:45 PM
Cheryl

Default how many calories in a bird?

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message

rona (tongue in cheek, in case anyone takes me too seriously,

although she
really is on a strict diet and she really did eat that poor little

bird. No
more unsupervised outings for her!)

It really did sound like you were seriously looking for an answer. If
you laugh because someone replies with a valid response (because they
are bound to do that, you know) then I would call this a troll bait.
You're even likely to get replies about how horrible you are
because your cat killed a bird. You know, the "keep them inside"
response. ;o)

Old July 18th 03, 11:09 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cheryl" wrote in message

It really did sound like you were seriously looking for an answer. If
you laugh because someone replies with a valid response (because they
are bound to do that, you know) then I would call this a troll bait.
You're even likely to get replies about how horrible you are
because your cat killed a bird. You know, the "keep them inside"
response. ;o)

I know :-), on both counts! I actually wouldn't mind knowing about the
caloric content of a little bird, if anyone does know. She will get her
regular dinner, anyway (and believe it or not, despite eating a big bird she
was still begging for food when I got home), but I don't want this bird
eating thing to become a regular snack for her. She's had so much success
on her diet, I'd hate for her to gain all that weight back!

I kind of thought I might get flamed for that poor bird being eaten, too,
but I'm OK with that (not the bird being eaten, but being flamed for it).
Birds are natural prey for cats, so she was doing what was natural for her,
though I should have been there to prevent it. I know the danger of leaving
even a leashed cat outdoors unattended and had I been home, I would have
been outside with her. Unfortunately, she was in the care of someone a
little less diligent than I would have been. On that note, however, I do
believe that cats can and should be allowed outdoors (supervised, of
course). I think all mammals need fresh air and can benefit from time
outdoors. In my city it is actually illegal to have unsupervised cats out
of doors (and to own an unspayed or unneutered cat over the age of 3
months--or maybe 6?), so I put her on a leash and sit outside with her.
It's fun for her to sit on the grass and watch the world (what little world
is in our backyard, or sometimes front yard) go by. I think she likes it,
and I love watching her roll around on the sidewalk. She looks just like a
baby seal :-).

rona (sleeping cat lying next to her. That bird catching really tuckered
her out!)

Old July 18th 03, 11:25 PM
Cheryl

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message

but I don't want this bird
eating thing to become a regular snack for her. She's had so much

success
on her diet, I'd hate for her to gain all that weight back!

I don't think one slip is going to hurt. It's like people on a
diet -- you have to allow for a treat sometimes or else it will never
work. With cats, you're in complete control so this maybe was her way
of saying "heh. I got my *own* food so screw you!". LOL j/k

I think all mammals need fresh air and can benefit from time
outdoors.

Agreed. I've tried harnesses and all Shadow wants to do is sit and
eat grass so I built an outdoor enclosure. Now I'm just really
worried about the mosquitoes; they swarm here and with the whole West
Nile thing and heartworm, I wasn't prepared for that. Just fleas.
Time for a new parasite treatment, heartguard for cats, I guess? I
don't know what to do about the West Nile, though. I heard there was
a vaccination for dogs... I'd hate to have to add another vax..
*sigh*

In my city it is actually illegal to have unsupervised cats out
of doors

It is here too, and in a lot of US cities more and more.

Old July 19th 03, 12:47 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cheryl" wrote in message

I don't think one slip is going to hurt. It's like people on a
diet -- you have to allow for a treat sometimes or else it will never
work. With cats, you're in complete control so this maybe was her way
of saying "heh. I got my *own* food so screw you!". LOL j/k

Knowing her, I'm sure that's exactly what she was thinking LOL! She is,
after all, the one who jumped on my face because it was in her way. She
also slept on my arm one night and falsely led me to believe she was finally
getting all lovey dovey (she's generally a bit distant). But then I
realized her pillow had fallen on the floor and she just just wanted
something cushy to lie down on. As soon as I put the pillow back in place,
she moved right on over! I was terribly insulted! ;-)

Agreed. I've tried harnesses and all Shadow wants to do is sit and
eat grass so I built an outdoor enclosure. Now I'm just really
worried about the mosquitoes; they swarm here and with the whole West
Nile thing and heartworm, I wasn't prepared for that. Just fleas.
Time for a new parasite treatment, heartguard for cats, I guess? I
don't know what to do about the West Nile, though. I heard there was
a vaccination for dogs... I'd hate to have to add another vax..
*sigh*

Do you, by chance, have plans for, or pictures of, your cat enclosure? I
would love her to have one that is portable, so I could move it to the front
or back yard. I'd also like one that lets sun in from the top as well as
the sides. I'm thinking it would have to be fairly large, though, and I'm
sure my neighbours would not be too keen on us having something like that in
our yard. They are quite difficult about these kinds of things (they would
probably prefer we not even have a cat, despite the fact that she's not even
allowed to roam freely!).

rona

Old July 19th 03, 01:10 AM
Cheryl

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message

Do you, by chance, have plans for, or pictures of, your cat

enclosure? I
would love her to have one that is portable, so I could move it to

the front
or back yard. I'd also like one that lets sun in from the top as

well as
the sides.

I posted a picture of Shamrock climbing it in
alt.binaries.pictures.animals LOL He almost got out so I've had to
enclose the top, too. It's under my deck in the rear of the house
(eastern exposure) and the mesh is 7 1/2' tall so I didn't think he'd
climb it but he was determined to get out. The picture is under the
thread called "Climbing Kitty" and I posted it last night. It doesn't
show the whole thing but I'll have to get a few of those up. Check
back on http://community.webshots.com/album/48246898KBEaSJ in a few
days and I'll try to get some better pictures up there. It isn't
portable, though.