Poor Cajun!!! Vibes please!

Old November 22nd 03, 03:37 PM
Angela

Default Poor Cajun!!! Vibes please!

He started acting quiet on Weds. By Weds night, he was hiding under the bed,
something he hasn't done since he was around 3 1/2 months old. (He's 9 months
old, rescued as a 7 week old feral kitten.) He stayed under the bed until
Thursday morning, not even jumping up on the bed to sleep. (usual spot when in
the bedroom) He came out with encouragement, ate a kitty treat, had some
breakfast, some water, and used his litter box. Just looked dull and lethargic.

Thursday afternoon, he looked more lethargic, still drinking and eating his
offered treats, but eating without his normal enthusiasm. We made the decision
to take him straight to the vet. He was running a fever of 104.4, a fever they
could not explain. They kept him overnight at the clinic to run a urine test on
him. I hated to leave him there. He has adjusted into a very sweet cat, but
he's sweet and docile on his terms. He is very wary of fast movements, and only
totally trusts Dean. But, he was too ill to even protest being picked up,
having his neck slightly shaved for blood (very fluffy fur), handled by unknown
people, etc. Needless to say, we didn't sleep much Thursday night.

Picked him up from the emergency clinic Friday morning, his blood work had come
in and there were different things elevated on it. We drove him straight to our
regular vet. (You better believe that YES we were paying for a second opinion.
This cat, even if he isn't a cuddle bug is family.) The second vet wasn't able
to tell us much more on the blood work, because certain things were up, but
others weren't. She did say that if the antibiotics didn't start helping, we
would test him for Toxo. (He's indoor only, but mom was feral. The Fip, felv,
fiv, whatever other "f" tests they do, all were negative, they checked those
again Thursday night.) His fever had dropped down to 103.7.

His urine culture came back last night, it shows white blood cells in the
urine. It's being sent for culture and sensitvity. He's not blocked up urinary
wise. He is able to pee, no diarrhea. He doesn't have sneezing, coughing, or
watery eyes. The vet didn't see a reason to xray him at this time. No lumps we
can feel to indicate abscesses.

After being dropped off at the house again yesterday, he ate, drank, used the
box, and retreated under the bed. He came out when we got home from work, let
us pill him, ate a few bites of wet food, and back under the bed he went. At
some point last night, he climbed onto the bed to sleep, which is encouraging.

Around 4am, he started to bellow. It was very strange. At 4am, it dawned on me
that Cajun doesn't "talk" normally. His brother Doby screams in a wee baby
voice all the time. We used to call HIM whiner. But Caj, he only made meows a
few times, usually to call Doby if Doby was freaking out. (Doby used to panic
if he couldn't see Cajun when they were younger.) I thought the noise was
coming from outside at first, because it was not one of our inside cat voices!
So, I opened the door, and he walked out to drink, and use his box, then, back
into the bedroom, but onto the bed this time.

The point of this long post is not really seeking advice, just vibes for him
please. I am very worried about him. He's feeling really punky. I know. I am
lucky to get to pet him most of the time. Part of the time, he runs, or cringes
away. I hate having to put pills down his throat. They wanted me to try
liquid...that sounded even more tramatic! (We have taught them both that we
respect their wishes as far as being touched. We NEVER force it on them. Even
nail trimming is done carefully and sometimes one nail at a time. They aren't
afraid because we don't make it a big deal and, if they struggle, we put them
straight down. So, forcing him to swallow this pill is going to be hard to do.
That's another story however.)

Angela (Aol.com doesn't hop!)

www.rabbitadoption.org Rabbits & small animals for adoption--worldwide links,
including vet referrals & other rescues, care tips, mail order products, etc.

Old November 22nd 03, 08:04 PM
Karen M.

Angela wrote:
[...]

Angela, Definitely sending good vibes your way, and I hope they can
figure out what is wrong with Cajun.

Karen M.