What Can I Do To Help This Cat?

Old November 15th 03, 12:27 AM
Iso

Yea, Megan is back! Everyone lets gather around in a circle so Megan can
tell us about feline anatomy, physiology, and psychology. Megan thanks for
responding to my post. I admit, I am not a vet, nor am I an animal
psychologist. I'm not at Veterinary Tech, nor do I run a shelter. My post
comes from my experiences that I have dealt with regarding feline troubles.
Since you are undoubtedly double my age, and have owned and or fostered more
cats than I have ever had, your ultimate wisdom is always welcome. I don't
know why you dissected my previous post. How do you think these animals
would deal with the situation if they were outdoors, by themselves? Do you
actually think that the new cat would tolerate being jumped on, and abused?
I beg to differ. Yeah, I may have been a bit dramatic when I said, "let them
go at it;" but eventually it will happen. You of all people have to agree
that you cannot force cats to like each other, especially in this situation,
with a resident alpha male. Some will live with a newcomer easily, others
will never relate, or they may just manage to live alongside each other in
an uneasy truce - you can only try. However, if there is no competition for
food or safe sleeping places (as in most good homes, like yours) then cats
will accept each other eventually and some will even seem to form close
bonds with one another. I know that you are really touchy regarding cats,
and there isn't anything wrong with that. You are truly a piece of work. The
only point that I am gesturing, is that the sooner you treat the situation
as though they are little animals instead of little humans, the better off
everyone will be. But, anyway Megan, thanks for the reply. I have missed you
and your Edmund Burke and W.H. Murray quotes.

Old November 15th 03, 01:10 AM
KellyH

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
Don't forget...I'm half-insane from no sleep! I just did a quick cleaning

of
the bathroom and started the transfer (the vet tech I just called

recommended
the bathroom, too..so, I decided to go for it). Anyway. things didn't go

as
planned and she's somewhere in the apartment, hiding. So, either she'll
urinate where I won't have any idea or she won't. And..when she turns up
today..tomorrow..I'll try the bathroom again

OK, take a deep breath, and become calm and centered. You are stressed, and
both of these cats are probably stressed beyond belief. Hopefully by now,
you have the new cat in the bathroom. It was a mistake putting her in a
cage where the resident cat can see her. To the new cat, she was sitting
there exposed, feeling defenseless. She can't run and hide anywhere, and
remember, she is a cat. She doesn't know that he can't get in the cage
somehow. I think she was peeing on the bed out of stress, and, I don't know
if you've had her tested yet, but stress can lead to a UTI.
For future reference, the best way to introduce a new cat is to put her in a
separate, low-traffic room that your resident cat will not be all that upset
by not being allowed in for a while, like a guest bedroom or a bathroom.
Putting her in your bedroom, where your cat is used to being, was upsetting
to the resident cat.

So, now it is time for you to start over. Once you have her in the
bathroom, place a litterbox, two if you have the room, food and water, and a
blanket or cat bed in there with her. If she is still eating and throwing
up, then continue feeding her small amounts at a time. Her vomitting was
probably also due to stress, and her knowing that there is a strange cat
looming that may steal her food. She was probably eating too quickly and
not digesting her food. I would give her a tablespoon of food at a time.
Just leave it in a dish for her, and walk away. Don't hover or force her to
eat it. Check back in 20-30 min and see if she has eaten. However, if she
does NOT eat at all, that is a serious issue, and then you may need to
force-feed her. But, take it step by step. Remember, YOUR stress level
will also affect the cats. If they see you all frazzled, they will not
know, esp the new cat, who doesn't know you, what you're up to, and she may
think you are out to harm her.
I am willing to bet that once she is in the bathroom, she will use the
litterbox. If she defecates outside the litterbox, place that in the box
while she is watching. Make sure you use an enzyme-based cleaner like
Nature's Miracle to clean. It will get the urine smell out better, making
her less likely to go in the same place again. Watch for signs of
struggling to urinate or blood in the urine, those are signs of a UTI.
Visit her in the bathroom. Talk calmly to her, and give her lots of love.
After a couple of days, bring a towel or something with your cat's scent on
it into the bathroom and leave it there. Then leave a towel or blanket for
her to sleep on, and then bring that out for your cat to smell. Leave it
around an area he frequents, so he gets used to her scent. Once you feel
things are calmed down, slowly introduce the two. Crack the door and let
them sniff each other. Bring resident cat in for supervised visits. When
you feel she is ready, let her out for a tour of the house.

I really hope all goes well. And most importantly, GET SOME SLEEP!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me,
.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 15th 03, 02:20 AM
Mary

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
...Sometimes cats that have
problems like this, at this age are almost irreversible. I agree

with
Mary
regarding putting her in a bathroom until she settles down, and

you get
on a
normal sleeping schedule, and minimize your damages....granted

your
resident cat is neutered and declawed, I would just let them go

at it.
You
are dealing with two elderly cats, not tigers. They are going to

have to
deal with each other eventually

I hope I'm making correct decisions here. I'm caging her until I

know she
can
use the litterbox NOT my bed...and she goes 24 hours w/out

throwing up.
As for
putting her in the bathroom...I don't want to find any surprises

in
there...putting her in the bathroom will NOT force her to use the
litterbox...As for sleeping...I do need to replace the

mattress..it is
impossible to mask the odor AND that is a trigger to the new cat

as a
place to
pea and a trigger to the resident cat as a territorial marker to

frenzy
about.
I am still considering a week's stay at a mental health

facility...more
updates
later. Thanky thanky all.

Putting her in the bathroom would not force her to use a litterbox,

but it
surely would be easier to clean than your mattress. If the floor is

vinyl
(rather than carpet), then it would be easier still.

MaryL

Force is not the issue. Cats are creatures of habit. One great reason
to adopt a cat that has been in a no-kill shelter for a while is that
they have gotten used to using their litter box, because normally they
have so little space, if they don't use the litter box they will be
eliminating where they sleep or eat. the bathroom treatment is the
same concept. AND--until habit kicks in, it is certainly easier to
clean up the mess.