Next Best to the Real Thing

Old November 15th 03, 04:45 AM
Sherry

Default Next Best to the Real Thing

I found an interesting website and wanted to share with you guys. It's a
robotic cat, developed for use in nursing homes with patients of dimensia.
Pretty neat idea, I thought.

http://www.robotherapy.org/maxdiagram.htm

Click on "cat" for the story.

Sherry
Old November 16th 03, 11:19 AM
polonca12000

What a great idea!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old November 16th 03, 07:09 PM
SUQKRT

In article ,
itty (Sherry ) wrote:

I found an interesting website and wanted to share with you guys. It's
robotic cat, developed for use in nursing homes with patients of dimensia.
Pretty neat idea, I thought.

http://www.robotherapy.org/maxdiagram.htm

We had 2 live cats at the Nursing home I lived in.
Suz
Iron Chef Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Chocolate heals all wounds.
Old November 16th 03, 07:39 PM
Sherry

We had 2 live cats at the Nursing home I lived in.
Suz
Iron Chef Macmoosette

That is so cool. I wrote a feature about a nursing home here that has dogs, but
no cats. :-(
I wish they all would have resident pets. Even if they had to hire a part-time
staff person just to care for them, it would be so worth it, it benefits the
patients so much.

Sherry
Old November 17th 03, 02:13 AM
Hopitus2

No doubt it would not strike anyone but me as odd and ironic that the State
of FL, backed up by the US Agriculture Dept., is now engaging in trapping
and exterminating feral cats in the FL keys (ostensibly to "save" 2 kinds of
endangered rodent species, which may not be in peril because of feral cats!)
and at the same time research (who knows, maybe backed or supported by some
other US gov't. entity) is being perfected for artificial cats, hoping to
tweak the nonactive frontal lobes of the residents of "God's waiting rooms"
all over the country........this is some kind of statement, but I'm fearful
of the conclusion. Bast have mercy on the helpless, who cannot speak for
themselves, and I *don't* mean the Alzheimers patients.

:

Old November 17th 03, 06:26 PM
Sherry

No doubt it would not strike anyone but me as odd and ironic that the State
of FL, backed up by the US Agriculture Dept., is now engaging in trapping
and exterminating feral cats in the FL keys (ostensibly to "save" 2 kinds of
endangered rodent species, which may not be in peril because of feral cats!)
and at the same time research (who knows, maybe backed or supported by some
other US gov't. entity) is being perfected for artificial cats, hoping to
tweak the nonactive frontal lobes of the residents of "God's waiting rooms"
all over the country........this is some kind of statement, but I'm fearful
of the conclusion. Bast have mercy on the helpless, who cannot speak for
themselves, and I *don't* mean the Alzheimers patients.

Wow. That *is* ironic. I just think it's a good idea because when my mom was
in a nursing home, some of the ladies had dolls. These people had lost most of
their body functions and abilities, but the *one* thing a human never loses is
the desire and need to love and to receive love. They thought they were real
babies, and I used to make new clothes for them, you should see how tickled
they would get. Anyway, a pet lover with alzheimer's isn't going to know it
isn't a real cat anyway, and nobody has to clean up after it and there's no
issues about cleanliness from the non-pet lovers. Not as good as the real thing
for sure though.

Sherry
Old November 19th 03, 04:17 AM
John F. Eldredge