Which litter an tray is best

Old May 24th 04, 09:37 AM
Rach

Default Which litter an tray is best

Hi every1,
I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.

AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?

I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).

Any thoughts will be a great help

Rach

Old May 24th 04, 10:05 AM
Lacey

I bought something at walmart that has a sifting tray in it. I like that
over any other litter pan, mainly cuz it has 4 pieces and was 10 bucks. I
like arm and hammer cat litter cuz they have flushable litter

Old May 24th 04, 12:06 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:37:04 +0100, "Rach"
wrote:

Hi every1,
I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.

AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?

I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).

Any thoughts will be a great help

It's really just a matter of choice. I never liked the clay/fullers
earth type, I found it messy (little bits all over their paws then
dragged through the carpet!) and I seemed to go through an awful lot
of it. I prefer the pine-scented wood pellets - they turn to powder
when wet but it can easily be scooped out of with a large spoon. I've
never tried the silica though I imagine this to be quite expensive (?)

So, really, I don't know if any one is 'better', it's just a case of
personal preference. Perhaps find out what your kitten has been using
in his previous home?

Tray wise, my favourite is just a deep plastic storage/toy crate. The
cats like a bit of privacy (also like the idea of the hooded ones with
carbon filter but might be difficult to persuade a nervous kitty to
enter one). When I've used shallow litter trays the litter was always
kicked all over the place!

Old May 24th 04, 02:36 PM
Joe Canuck

Rach wrote:
Hi every1,
I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.

AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?

I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).

Any thoughts will be a great help

Rach

Self cleaning bad for kittens.

Self cleaning generally bad because of the breakdowns and cost.

Get the largest hooded tray and pour a healthy layer of clumping litter
into it. Depending on the litter box habits of your kitten you may want
to start with non clumping litter as the kittens can be awkward and step
in their own mess... and with clumping this makes an awful mess.

In any case, clean the box at least once/day... while it may be okay to
let it go 2 days you will find the litter last longer and stay fresher
(ie clean) if you scoop once/day.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old May 24th 04, 02:38 PM
Joe Canuck

Rach wrote:

Hi every1,
I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.

AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?

I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).

Any thoughts will be a great help

Rach

....and for litter you could try Purina Maxx Cat Scoop Multicat formula.
I have found this one the least dusty that also forms fairly good
clumps. It does have a slight scent which wears off the longer the box
has been opened.