Cat scratched off fur due to new collar

Old July 25th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FourCatServant

Default Cat scratched off fur due to new collar

Hello,

I am the proud servant of four rescued cats. They are my children and I am
distraught due to one of my cats reaction to a collar. I recently purchased
collars and tags and a week after placing them on all four one has ripped
alll his fur off of two large spots where the collar rested.

I am beside myself. It looks horrific. I would appreciate any feed back on my
situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery. Thank
you for your time.

Old July 25th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"FourCatServant" u36121@uwe wrote in message news:75b2604413bc3@uwe...
Hello,

I am the proud servant of four rescued cats. They are my children and I am
distraught due to one of my cats reaction to a collar. I recently
purchased
collars and tags and a week after placing them on all four one has ripped
alll his fur off of two large spots where the collar rested.

I am beside myself. It looks horrific. I would appreciate any feed back on
my
situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery.
Thank
you for your time.

Why do your cats need collars?

Old July 25th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"FourCatServant" u36121@uwe wrote in message news:75b2604413bc3@uwe...
Hello,

I am the proud servant of four rescued cats. They are my children and I am
distraught due to one of my cats reaction to a collar. I recently
purchased
collars and tags and a week after placing them on all four one has ripped
alll his fur off of two large spots where the collar rested.

I am beside myself. It looks horrific. I would appreciate any feed back on
my
situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery.
Thank
you for your time.

Are these flea collars? If so, your cat may be reacting to the medication.
Get rid of any flea collars immediately! They are not good for the cat, and
it also is not an effective treatment for fleas. If fleas are the problem,
*do not* use any over-the-counter preparation. Contact your vet for a
preparation such as Advantage or Frontline.

It is better not to use any collars at all. If you do use collars, make
sure they are the breakaway type. They are designed to easily break apart
so the cat cannot get hung up on something.

Was the fur simply scratched or rubbed off, or did this actually create sore
or raw spots (which is what I suspect)? If it is the latter, I would want
to have a vet look at the area because you don't want that to become a place
for infection. It's not clear to me if this is a new adoption or if you
have had all four cats for awhile. If it is recent, all of the cats should
be vetted and spayed/neutered spayed/neutered immediately (if that has not
already been done). Since you say they are your children (that's how I look
at mine, too), I'm going to assume that these are not new adoptions and that
my last suggestion has already been taken care of.

MaryL

Old July 25th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FourCatServant

cybercat wrote:
Hello,

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
Thank
you for your time.

Why do your cats need collars?

My boyfriend is in the military and we were suppose to return to the states
so I was testing the collars for transport. Needless to say I have removed
all their collars. I am doing my best to keep an eye on the injured one but I
am afraid he is just going to continue for mowing the same spot.

Old July 25th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FourCatServant

Thank you so much for your response. The collars are just ID tags. I have
removed them. But I am very afraid of a superfical infection. All four are
indoor cats. I have had them for over a year. I adopted them when they were 4-
6 weeks old. They had many health issue at first. Fleas, parasites, ear mites,
sinus infections. It took me three months numerous vet visits, constant
medication and care to get them to the healthy, rambunctious trouble making
place they are now. I just hate seing him looking manged. Tiger the one
injured right now is sort of my little side kick. He was the worst one in the
beginning. Now he pulls the string on the ceiling fan in the morning to wake
me up and serve his breakfast .

Old July 25th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"FourCatServant" u36121@uwe wrote in message news:75b3a95c80df9@uwe...
cybercat wrote:
Hello,

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
Thank
you for your time.

Why do your cats need collars?

My boyfriend is in the military and we were suppose to return to the
states
so I was testing the collars for transport.

I see. That makes sense. Will they have to be quarantined?

Needless to say I have removed
all their collars. I am doing my best to keep an eye on the injured one
but I
am afraid he is just going to continue for mowing the same spot.

I have a cat with allergies and who licks/bites her fur off when she gets
upset. I think your baby needs to see a vet. Good luck.

Old July 25th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"FourCatServant" u36121@uwe wrote in message news:75b3d1d5a526d@uwe...
Thank you so much for your response. The collars are just ID tags. I have
removed them. But I am very afraid of a superfical infection. All four are
indoor cats. I have had them for over a year. I adopted them when they
were 4-
6 weeks old. They had many health issue at first. Fleas, parasites, ear
mites,
sinus infections. It took me three months numerous vet visits, constant
medication and care to get them to the healthy, rambunctious trouble
making
place they are now. I just hate seing him looking manged.

Bless you, you sound like a great cat Mom! These are lucky cats. Are they
siblings?

Tiger the one
injured right now is sort of my little side kick. He was the worst one in
the
beginning. Now he pulls the string on the ceiling fan in the morning to
wake
me up and serve his breakfast .

This is really cute! Don't worry too much, he will heal. If you don't feed
canned food, you might think about it, the extra protein helps them, and
cats are often allergic to the grains in dry food, and that can make them
itchy. My cat needs a steroid shot (Depo Medrol) a few times a year
to keep her allergies controlled. Hopefully your cat was just allergic
to something in the collar and the removal of the allergen is all he needs.

Please let us know how he progresses, and welcome to the group.

Old July 25th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FourCatServant

Thank you for the wonderful welcome. Simba and Nala are siblings brown
tabbies, Tiger a sand color tabby with matching eyes, Alba a tuxedo cat with
a grumpy old man disposition.

Appreciate the flattery of being a cat MOM. I will up his wet food. I usually
switch it up wet and dry for some variety.

cybercat wrote:
Thank you so much for your response. The collars are just ID tags. I have
removed them. But I am very afraid of a superfical infection. All four are

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

Old July 25th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 25 Jul, 12:06, "FourCatServant" u36121@uwe wrote:
Hello,

I am the proud servant of four rescued cats. They are my children and I am
distraught due to one of my cats reaction to a collar. I recently purchased
collars and tags and a week after placing them on all four one has ripped
alll his fur off of two large spots where the collar rested.

I am beside myself. It looks horrific. I would appreciate any feed back on my
situation. Especially any advice pertaining to expediting his recovery. Thank
you for your time.

dont; put collars on them, microchip them or something, not natural to
put collars on cats, they dont; like obviously and they could easily
hang themselves from a collar if it got snagged on a tree or something

i dont put collars on my cats, never have and never will, barbaric
practise in my view

bookie

Old July 25th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"bookie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

that is what they make break way collars for.

A few of us were worried about you Glad to see you are ok

Alternative for cat collar? The Other Mike Cat health & behaviour 3 June 1st 06 11:05 PM
Cat collar Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 4 May 31st 06 01:06 AM
Cat collar Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 13 May 23rd 06 11:37 AM
scratched eye Glitter Ninja Cat health & behaviour 4 June 8th 05 06:48 PM
male cat goes in licking fits when back scratched Steven Moore Cat health & behaviour 24 February 22nd 05 02:57 AM