I Frantically searched for Dot

Old April 1st 16, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven[_2_]

Default I Frantically searched for Dot

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 5:05:00 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 23:48:02 -0700, Joy
wrote:

On 3/29/2016 12:45 PM, Je?us wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:45:36 -0700, Joy
wrote:

On 3/28/2016 12:32 AM, Je?us wrote:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 15:57:21 -0700, Joy
wrote:

On 3/26/2016 3:48 PM, Je?us wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 08:08:38 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 22:57:46 -0400, Takayuki
wrote:

Dot disappeared on me today. When I got home from work, Buster and Spicey
greeted me, but Dot was nowhere in sight. This is not too unusual - she's
16 years old and naps a lot. But most evenings, I see her in the window
when I come home, since she watches for me, since she's deaf and can't hear
the car.

So I went to look for Dot in the bedroom, where she usually sleeps on my
the bed on my pillow (or maybe it's "our" pillow). But she wasn't there.

So I looked in a couple of secondary napping spots, but no Dot. I looked to
see if she'd hidden under the sofas, which she hasn't done in years. But no
Dot. I frantically looked for her behind appliances, in closets, and
various other places she couldn't possibly be.

I called desperately for her, "Dot! Dot! Dorothy!", even though I knew she
wouldn't be able to hear me. It occurred to me that maybe my oldest cat had
a heart attack or something and died somewhere. In the meantime, Buster and
Spicey followed me curiously.

"Come on guys, you were home all day; where's Dot??" But Buster just looked
puzzled. Spicey looked at me like I was a moron.

Finally, I remembered that I left a dresser drawer open longer than usual
this morning. Long enough that I checked it for naughty kitties (like
Buster) before I closed it.

I opened that drawer. And found nothing.

But by this time, I was checking everywhere anyway. So I opened the next
drawer, which I almost never use.

And there she was! She gave me a little "Eck!" like she does after a nap,
and started licking me enthusiastically as I picked her up. She must have
gotten in there from *underneath* the drawer I had open!

Dot had ended up trapped in there for 10 hours. But on the other hand, her
regular daytime nap is about 9 hours, so maybe from her perspective, she
was only in there for an hour longer than she'd have liked.

LOL. So typical. It's not much fun though, when you can't find them
and get worried. I woke up last night to hear Annie screaming outside
(unusual for her to go out after everyone goes to bed), I assume she
had an encounter with a feral cat. I went out looking but saw no sign
of her. A couple of hours later, she made herself comfortable on top
of me while I was sleeping. No sign of any injuries.

Sometimes when I look and call out for Annie, she doesnt want to be
found and stays quiet in her latest hidey hole in the house. I always
get a little worried when she does that.

Actually, Annie is limping and can't get up on her favourite cushion
ATM... looks like she sustained some injuries from her encounter.

Poor baby!

Annie is much better now, she is back to sleeping in her current
favourite spot in the spare bedroom, also she jumped up onto this desk
earlier, so all back to normal

I have to admit I'm a worrier when it comes to my two girls if I don't
know where they are and haven't seen them for a while, or if anything
happens to them - with anything else I'm usually a lot more laid back
shrug. One time though, Annie had a similar encounter, although I'm
not sure if it was another cat or wildlife. I live in Tasmania, and we
do have some small marsupials that have serious teeth and claws.
Anyway, that time Annie came out worse with a toe half hanging off and
got blood poisoning into the bargain. By the time blood poisoning was
apparent, she was very unwell and clearly she would die without
treatment. An hour's drive later and the vet gives her antibiotics.
By the time we get home and I let her back into the house she was
practically back to normal again

If the rest of Tasmania is anything like the area that I saw near
Hobart, you live in a very beautiful place.

Thanks. I live in the north of the state, in the mountains, about
250KM north of Hobart.

I suppose a Tasmanian devil
would fight a cat if it thought the cat was after its food. What other
wildlife do you have that might fight a cat?

Devils are scavengers and not likely to attack another animal, they
are sort of cowardly in that regard, despite their fierce appearance

We do have quolls, which are marsupial carnivores. They will attack
and kill poultry. Some small native 'rats' that do have a serious set
of teeth - they will often eat through plastic... sometimes they just
want to eat the plastic!

Then we have (marsupial) possums - these guys are vegetarians but do
have a mean set of claws and teeth. I knew of one semi-feral cat that
was crazy enough to take them on. Twice he came home with half a cheek
missing and one time came home with only half his tail. He was a mean
but largely friendly (to humans) cat. I've seen him send off more than
one dog packing

You certainly have a lot more interesting critters than we do here in
California.

At least when it comes to marsupials we do

The Tasmanian Tiger (not a real tiger, but a large dog-sized
carnivore) has supposedly been extinct since the 1930's, although some
people feel they are still around. Periodically there is an alleged
sighting. I wouldn't be surprised if there were still around, much of
the area around here is inaccessible and remote. There have been times
I have come across kills that I cannot explain... there are no other
animals around that could do it, including wild dogs (too cold for
them to survive our winters).

Wild (feral) dogs survive in the coldest parts of North America. The only limiting factors on their spread are human efforts and the presence of wolves.

--
Will in New Haven
Old April 2nd 16, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_5_]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:24:47 -0700 (PDT), Will in New Haven
wrote:

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 5:05:00 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:

snip
The Tasmanian Tiger (not a real tiger, but a large dog-sized
carnivore) has supposedly been extinct since the 1930's, although some
people feel they are still around. Periodically there is an alleged
sighting. I wouldn't be surprised if there were still around, much of
the area around here is inaccessible and remote. There have been times
I have come across kills that I cannot explain... there are no other
animals around that could do it, including wild dogs (too cold for
them to survive our winters).

Wild (feral) dogs survive in the coldest parts of North America. The only limiting factors on their spread are human efforts and the presence of wolves.

Good point and so much for my theory
I don't know why, but feral dogs don't seem to surive here for very
long. The Mainland is another matter entirely...