Fur-loss.

Old November 30th 04, 09:28 PM
icedog

Default Fur-loss.

Next-door's cat has adopted us. We are feeding her as nobody else bothers
to.
She has lost fur about 1 1/2 inches across on both sides of the bum,
patches are nearly meeting at the tail.
We have told the owners twice but last time they didn't even bother to
reply.
She is 11 now but as the owners won't take her to the vet and we have
no legal standing what do we do? She is a sweet little cat and deserves
better.
She is in no apparent discomfort or pain but should we just say b****r it
and take her to a vet, paying the cost?
I don't reckon that it is alopetia as it is localised, certainly not fur
loss through
stress as she purrs continuously. Could it be thyroid deficiency? She sleeps
23/24 yet is always game
for a good chase around.

Any help welcomed.

TIA

Icedog.

Old November 30th 04, 09:49 PM
Sharon Talbert

Could be flea allergy, which can cause hair loss. If you can feel
scabbing on the skin, flea allergy is likely. You could try a couple of
doses of Revolution, 4 weeks apart, if the skin doesn't seem too
irritated. That would cure fleas and few other parasites as well. Or you
can sneak the cat off to your vet. Never an easy call.

Sharon Talbert
Campus Cats

Old December 1st 04, 01:34 AM
Alison

"icedog" wrote in message
news
[...]

As Sharon suggested, it could be fleas or if the patches are close to
her tail it could be her anal glands are cuasing her discomfort.
This is a horrible situation you're in. People like your neighbour
don't deserve to have a cat.
Alison

Old December 1st 04, 01:45 AM
Phil P.

"icedog" wrote in message
news
[...]

Another "benefit" of free-roaming - you have no idea what the cat could have
gotten into or been exposed to.

If I were you, I'd take the cat to a vet -- and after, keep her. If your
neighbor doesn't like it - tell him to learn to live with it or you'll
bring him up on animal abuse charges -- Neglect and failure to provide
veterinary care is animal abuse.

Old December 1st 04, 11:47 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-30, icedog penned:
Next-door's cat has adopted us. We are feeding her as nobody else bothers
to. She has lost fur about 1 1/2 inches across on both sides of the bum,
patches are nearly meeting at the tail. We have told the owners twice but
last time they didn't even bother to reply. She is 11 now but as the owners
won't take her to the vet and we have no legal standing what do we do? She
is a sweet little cat and deserves better. She is in no apparent discomfort
or pain but should we just say b****r it and take her to a vet, paying the
cost? I don't reckon that it is alopetia as it is localised, certainly not
fur loss through stress as she purrs continuously. Could it be thyroid
deficiency? She sleeps 23/24 yet is always game for a good chase around.

Any help welcomed.

TIA

Icedog.

Sounds like pure negligence to me. Do you have a shelter you can call about
this, or an animal control number? Surely this cat deserves a better life,
and proper access to a vet!

--
monique

Old December 2nd 04, 01:57 AM
~*Connie*~

Another "benefit" of free-roaming - you have no idea what the cat could

have
gotten into or been exposed to.

If I were you, I'd take the cat to a vet -- and after, keep her. If your
neighbor doesn't like it - tell him to learn to live with it or you'll
bring him up on animal abuse charges -- Neglect and failure to provide
veterinary care is animal abuse.

I second this post. Also, in most of the US, once a pet has roamed off the
property it is considered stray. Most people don't consider that with cats,
but it is true. You could 'kidnap" the cat, and make it yours, or surrender
it to a shelter or you could call the local humane society and see what they
recommend about forcing the neighbors to take care of the cat.

I kinda vote for anal gland issues. but Im not a vet, just a crazy cat lady

Old December 2nd 04, 03:23 AM
Phil P.

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Sounds like pure negligence to me. Do you have a shelter you can call

about
this, or an animal control number? Surely this cat deserves a better

life,
and proper access to a vet!

It sure is abuse. However, usually its not such a good idea to involve
animal control - especially when the cat needs medical ($) care. Unless the
cat is a kitten, calling AC often results in the cat's demise.

I know how heartbreaking and frustrating it is to see a cat in need of
medical care neglected, and the overwhelming urge to help. But there are
"other ways" to handle situations like this that won't put the cat's life in
jeopardy... if you take my meaning...

Aggravating as hell, aint it?

Phil

Old December 3rd 04, 12:45 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-02, Phil P. penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Sounds like pure negligence to me. Do you have a shelter you can call

about
this, or an animal control number? Surely this cat deserves a better

life,
and proper access to a vet!

It sure is abuse. However, usually its not such a good idea to involve
animal control - especially when the cat needs medical ($) care. Unless the
cat is a kitten, calling AC often results in the cat's demise.

Sigh. What about an animal abuse hotline? I've never had to try something
like that, but maybe it would scare them into being good owners?

I know how heartbreaking and frustrating it is to see a cat in need of
medical care neglected, and the overwhelming urge to help. But there are
"other ways" to handle situations like this that won't put the cat's life in
jeopardy... if you take my meaning...

By putting the so-called owner's life in jeopardy? That would be my first
instinct ...

Aggravating as hell, aint it?

I wonder if one could (hypothetically) catch the cat and deliver it to a
friend who lived very, very far away and could take proper care of it.

Who knows, though. A co-worker just told me that a vet got in trouble with
the law for catching stray cats, altering them, and releasing them again.
Apparently, once she'd brought them in the house, they were legally hers and
she was abandoning them. Nevermind that she was just trying to help the
overpopulation problem.

--
monique, caretaker of Oscar
Old December 3rd 04, 05:34 AM
Tracy

An 11 year old female cat is likely to have an extremely difficult
time finding an adoptive home through a shelter and is likely to be
euthanized. A no-kill facility will not generaly be eager to take a
senior citizen cat and were it to do so, it would be extremely
stressful for the cat to spend months or years in an institutional
facility. It freaks me a bit that people are so cavalier in saying
"bring the cat to a shelter" or "call animal control".

What CAN you do as a neighbor? You can certainly flea the cat. Get a
package of Advantage or Frontline Plus and once a month, say hi to the
cat and squirt the package on the skin below the back of the cat's
head. (See the package for instructions). Cost is less than $10/month
and you're doing a good thing. Royal Canin makes a good skin and hair
food. It's pricey, but buy a bag of the "skin and hair" food and let
the cat eat from it when he visits. Or give it to your neighbor as a
present. :

Or borrow the cat for a vet visit unbeknowst to your neightbor, get a
diagnosis and then, paper in hand, sit the owner down and tell him
what the cat needs.

But try the flea medicine first. Might as well eliminate the obvious.
Old December 3rd 04, 09:06 AM
Phil P.

On 2004-12-02, Phil P. penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Sounds like pure negligence to me. Do you have a shelter you can call

about
this, or an animal control number? Surely this cat deserves a better

life,
and proper access to a vet!

It sure is abuse. However, usually its not such a good idea to involve
animal control - especially when the cat needs medical ($) care. Unless

the
cat is a kitten, calling AC often results in the cat's demise.

Sigh. What about an animal abuse hotline? I've never had to try

something
like that, but maybe it would scare them into being good owners?

Anytime you involve the authorities you run the risk of the cat ending up in
a shelter and being killed.

I know how heartbreaking and frustrating it is to see a cat in need of
medical care neglected, and the overwhelming urge to help. But there

are
"other ways" to handle situations like this that won't put the cat's

life in
jeopardy... if you take my meaning...

By putting the so-called owner's life in jeopardy? That would be my first
instinct ...

LOL! That's what I usually feel also, but its not exactly what I meant.
Outdoor, free-roaming cats are well known for.... getting lost....
disappearing....

Aggravating as hell, aint it?

I wonder if one could (hypothetically) catch the cat and deliver it to a
friend who lived very, very far away and could take proper care of it.

Ahhhh! Now you're (hypothetically) catching on.

Who knows, though. A co-worker just told me that a vet got in trouble

with
the law for catching stray cats, altering them, and releasing them again.
Apparently, once she'd brought them in the house, they were legally hers

and
she was abandoning them.

ROTFL! That's a *very* familiar (and personal) story! Happened to me more
than once. Once, I just released the cats so my cages were empty. I told
the cops I was trying to *trap* the cats and take them to a shelter! Good
thing the cops didn't know the difference between a carrying cage and a
trap!

Some municipalities are vehemently against TNR - even though the trap/kill
policy is a well proven failure all over the country.

Nevermind that she was just trying to help the
overpopulation problem.

The anti-TNR morons are stuck in a perpetual cycle. And they are morons
because after years and years they *still* have the same problem with no end
in sight.

Phil