Change of Plans

Old June 4th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Change of Plans

CatNipped wrote:
"Kajikit" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:25:27 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I'm still leaving for SC on Sunday with Persia and John. Trouble
is, his lightweight pickup can't tow my car. No way, no how. At
least not according to the towing experts I've talked with.

So we're talking on the phone, he says how about I drive my truck,
you follow? Like a convoy. I started laughing because I have a
couple of CB radios with magnet antennas that attach to the roof of
your vehicle.

But like a lightning bolt out of the blue, WTF are we talking
about?! He drives here, leaves his pickup, we take my car, Persia
and our stuff and go.
He flys back to Memphis when he's ready to go home, gets his truck
and goes
on his way. D'oh!!

I have no idea why I feel the need to make everything so
complicated. Apparently he's the same way because it never hit us
until this morning there's absolutely no reason to take two
vehicles to SC no matter how we managed it! LOL

And there's plenty of room to secure Persia's carrier even if I lay
the back
seat down to open up the trunk space. She'll be right there in
reach for reassurrance should she need it.

It's funny how something we think something MUST be going to work one
way, when there was another that would actually be much easier...
with the price of gas nowadays, you're probably going to save money
by just taking the car and flying John home! It sounds like Persia
will be more comfortable too.

Not necessarily - plane fare has gone through the roof because of fuel
prices. Airlines are even starting to charge you for each bag you
check! The thing that scares me about the rising gas prices (rumored
to reach $12 per gallon in the near future) is that the U.S. economy
runs on gas, literally! Everything that is shipped across country by
truck, train, or plane (which is, basically, *everything* we buy),
will rise in price right along with the price of gas. Unfortunately,
salaries are not rising to match inflation. I have a feeling we're
in deep do-do!

Gas is still under $4.00 gallon here today. And I can still find air-fares
at $175 and upgrade to first class (might just do that for my baby!) for
under $200. Europeans have been paying $5-7 for fuel for the last five
years. We've been friggin lucky for the last decade if you ask me.

Jill

Old June 4th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

True, but unless our salaries rise along with the cost of living, I think
our luck may have just run out. A lot of people will be faced with the very
real fact that they can't afford the drive to work. If we had the
infrastructure in place to rely on mass transit we could bite the bullet and
live with it, but where I live there is literally no other way to get into
the city except by car or cab - and my community is by far not the only one
like that.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 4th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

True, but unless our salaries rise along with the cost of living, I think
our luck may have just run out. A lot of people will be faced with the very
real fact that they can't afford the drive to work. If we had the
infrastructure in place to rely on mass transit we could bite the bullet and
live with it, but where I live there is literally no other way to get into
the city except by car or cab - and my community is by far not the only one
like that.

Hugs,

CatNipped

We're already not far from that point with Nancy's job - the fuel she
burns to get to work is costing enough that it's becoming not worth the
expense.

And I'm afraid you're right with the other concerns as well. As fuel
prices go up, it becomes more expensive to transport products and raw
material. As those expenses go up, so do prices. We're in for a world of
hurt before too long.

Old June 4th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John A

Well, at least you thought of it before you did the trip. I usually get
the 'why didn't I' moment when it's too late.

Purrs for a boring trip (these are always the best).

John, servant to their Imperial SIamese Majesties Rhia and Amy.

In article , jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

But you know, Persia is such a good girl. I think she'll settle down pretty
quickly. I think I'm catching a bit of Catnipped's over-anxious mommy thing
over this trip After all, the vet told me Persia never so much as
squeaked when they microchipped her, then he showed me the size of the
needle. Yikes! Persia will be fine. I'm the one who needs to take a
chill-pill!

Jill

Old June 4th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

John A wrote:
Well, at least you thought of it before you did the trip. I usually
get the 'why didn't I' moment when it's too late.

Purrs for a boring trip (these are always the best).

John, servant to their Imperial SIamese Majesties Rhia and Amy.

Well, we hope for the sometimes interesting trip to the pet friendly motels
with nearby diners. Persia won't be able to partake of the diner
experience, however. But thanks, John!

Jill

Old June 4th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Gas is still under $4.00 gallon here today. And I can still find
air-fares
at $175 and upgrade to first class (might just do that for my baby!)
for under $200. Europeans have been paying $5-7 for fuel for the
last five years. We've been friggin lucky for the last decade if
you ask me.

True, but unless our salaries rise along with the cost of living, I
think our luck may have just run out.

I refuse to engage in a political debate. Politics don't belong here.

Long story short, we're leaving here with Persia in her carrier in my car on
Sunday We'll probably arrive at Mom's house on Tuesday. I'm sure she'll
be just fine.

I'll take Peaches over to my brothers' house on Saturday. Clips for slices
of apple, and she likes broccoli florets, bits of spinach leaves and
carrots. Millet spray, flax seed, stuff like that She loves to take a
bath in her water dish Sometimes if you spritz her with water she'll go
down and dunk like a duck. I bought her a bird bath that attached to the
cage but she never did take to it. She prefers to swim in her water dish.
Go figure!

Jill

Old June 4th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^. .^=`[_2_]

"Matthew" ...
I am already thinking of a second job and I am supposed to be retired

DH is still trying to find one job....but he's on disability.
*sigh*
Kyla

news

Old June 5th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

We have commuter buses that go into the city three times in the morning and
three times at night. It helps those who are really hard hit by the gas
prices. But even the price of that has had to go up because of the gas.

I'd just like a few hours with whoever it is that computes the 'cost of
living' for increases in things like social security. So housing hasn't
gone up. It isn't like were moving and utilities and insurance have sure
gone up. Also I'd like to know where they buy their groceries.

Yes we know how to 'eat cheap' but I still resent having to do it at this
point in my life. Bad enough to not be able to afford to eat out, but
things that are simple to prepare are going through the roof too.

No I don't have to drive to work. But my granddaughter is 45 miles away so
that's an $18 round trip. Not something I'd have thought twice about a few
years ago.

Jo

Old June 5th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Lee and I are dealing with the price rise thing now. The soda and candy
companies have put a surcharge on for fuel and, raised case price too.
People yell at us but unless you want to work for free, there isn't much
choice. Am going to cut out a lot of soda and sell cheaper bottled water.

My DIL has to drive to Indiana to work and is only part time. I keep trying
to tell them to figure it out and they are not getting any ahead right now.
But I'm just a MIL what do I know?

Old June 5th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Gas is still under $4.00 gallon here today. And I can still find
air-fares
at $175 and upgrade to first class (might just do that for my baby!)
for under $200. Europeans have been paying $5-7 for fuel for the
last five years. We've been friggin lucky for the last decade if
you ask me.

True, but unless our salaries rise along with the cost of living, I
think our luck may have just run out.

I refuse to engage in a political debate. Politics don't belong here.

Political debate??! Oooookay. I'll get back to you when the cost of
transport is reflected in the cost of cat food, how 'bout that? ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

best laid plans Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 10 November 21st 07 09:56 AM
Change in plans Granby Cat community 2 September 8th 07 03:49 AM
Travel Plans Lynn and George Cat health & behaviour 8 August 16th 04 06:05 AM
The best laid plans... Wendy Cat health & behaviour 71 June 27th 04 03:42 AM