When should I put my cat down?

Old April 7th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default When should I put my cat down?

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Also, pets level treatment may not be the same here you are. I do

not
know, but I am not about to blame you over it. Sure, there are

things
you can do for a diabetic cat but one with cancer, kidney issues and
diabetes
is a daunting task unless you have a lot of money.

You say that because you know little if anything about feline

diabetes,
this
type of cancer, and feline CRF. Even if the cat needs insulin, the
monthly
cost is less than $20. Cats live for years with CRF and its easily
managed.
The cancer can be cured by complete removal.

I never said I know diabetes in cats. What I said was I did not know

the
cost *where he is*.

That's not what you said. Your exact words we

"Sure, there are things you can do for a diabetic cat but one with

cancer,
kidney issues and diabetes is
a daunting task unless you have a lot of money."

Phil, try not chopping quite so much. What you see is a reply based on his
*own* information. I still said in essense we don't know the cost *where

he
is*. You chopped that out of this reply as well.

I chopped your babble as I did in this reply as well.

This isn't a debate. You can't babble your way out of the fact that you
made a stupid, irresponsible, and erroneous remark to a person on the fence
about killing his cat. You don't know enough about any of the type of
illnesses the cat has to make such discouraging remark. People in his
situation are often overwhelmed and already feel discouraged. You don't seen
to understand the impact your posts could have. It seems like your only
concern is not looking bad- too late to do anything about that.

Old April 7th 11, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Phil P." wrote
"cshenk" wrote

I chopped your babble as I did in this reply as well.

Oh excuse me. I forgot you 'own' this group and no one is allowed to say
anything you dont agree with.

You are reputed highly here but I see no reason for it. Maybe there is
something you have to offer that others see. I just see you editing posts
to bash others by omiting critical things said to twist the content to match
your needs.

Enjoy yourself. After all, the NZ poster *left* after too much crap where
folks didn't bother to ask basic questions before the assumptions kicked in
from the USA centric set.

Old April 7th 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote
"cshenk" wrote

I chopped your babble as I did in this reply as well.

Oh excuse me. I forgot you 'own' this group and no one is allowed to say
anything you dont agree with.

Another stupid remark. You're just full of them. You don't know when to
shut up, do you? I can see you'll go on and on like a bad case of diarrhea.

In the future *think* about the impact your posts might have before you hit
send. It might make the difference between life and death for a cat.

This it for me.

Old June 26th 11, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian[_2_]

Well after my last post (see below) I decided to look after the cat as
best I could as he was still eating and drinking and seem to have a
strong will to live. He liked drinking muddy water outside, maybe cats
do this to get some minerals to help them fight sickness.
Several months went by and he showed no sign of getting worst but when
he started to scatch his ear and flick blood over the house then it
was time to have him put down.
I will miss him as he was a intelligent cat and we could understand
each other.

Regards Brian

Brian wrote:

My cat has sugar diabetics, a Kidney problem, and cancer on his ear.

The vet treated him for his kidney problem but did not think it was
worth while treating him for diabetics as this is not his only
problem.
He has been operated on twice for cancer on his ear but it has
appeared on his ear again after the second operation.

The cat is 17 years 14 weeks old.

The cat sits outside to enjoy the sunshine and likes sitting on
someone's knee but spends most of the time in a certain location in
the kitchen. He is still drinking (a lot) and eating but is loosing
weight.

Should I continue to let the cat live what life he has left and wait
until his health is worst before considering putting him down?

Advice from others would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian

Old June 26th 11, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian[_2_]

MLB wrote:

It sounds like you want someone to tell you it is OK to "get rid" of
your cat -- or are you just "trolling:

No. The last thing I would want to do is to put my cat down. I believe
in saving animals if possible. The vet wants me to have the cat put
down so I was asking others as a second option.

Somehow he did survive longer.

Regards Brian
Old June 26th 11, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Brian wrote:
MLB wrote:

It sounds like you want someone to tell you it is OK to "get rid" of
your cat -- or are you just "trolling:

No. The last thing I would want to do is to put my cat down. I believe
in saving animals if possible. The vet wants me to have the cat put
down so I was asking others as a second option.

Somehow he did survive longer.

Regards Brian

Its not always easy to tell. When my B-K got sick, I called the vet, but she
didn't know whether he would survive either. She knew he had liver damage,
but there was a chance he would pull through, so I was reluctant to put him
down. by the time I realized he wasn't going to make it, he was only an hour
ofrom death. He died at 11 PM on a Friday night, when the vet was out of
town for the weekend. Had I known, I would have had him put down the day
before when she still had him at her home.

Old June 27th 11, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:50:41 +1200, Brian wrote:

Well after my last post (see below) I decided to look after the cat as
best I could as he was still eating and drinking and seem to have a
strong will to live. He liked drinking muddy water outside, maybe cats
do this to get some minerals to help them fight sickness.
Several months went by and he showed no sign of getting worst but when
he started to scatch his ear and flick blood over the house then it
was time to have him put down.
I will miss him as he was a intelligent cat and we could understand
each other.

Regards Brian

This is the hardest part about being a cat attendant. They can't talk
so we just have to do the best we can to know when it is time. And,
bear in mind, you cannot win the argument. Either you are going to be
sorry that you made them suffer, or you're going to be sorry that you
put them away too quickly. We've all been there.
Old June 28th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

dgk wrote:
[...]

Yes. When B-K got sick, the vet took a blood sample, and said his white
blood count was normal, so he didn't have an infection. This is how we knew
he had been poisoned. But there was a chance he would pull through, and he
was only 7-1/2 years old, so I didn't want to put him down and never know
whether he would have made it or not. So, we waited, but he got very sick,
and died a few hours later. Had I some method of putting him down, I would
have done it about three hours before he died, because I knew by then that
he wasn't going to make it, but the vet had left town, and there was nothing
I could do.

Old July 5th 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_4_]

wrote:

My cat has sugar diabetics, a Kidney problem, and cancer on his ear.

The vet treated him for his kidney problem but did not think it was
worth while treating him for diabetics as this is not his only
problem.
He has been operated on twice for cancer on his ear but it has
appeared on his ear again after the second operation.

The cat is 17 years 14 weeks old.

The cat sits outside to enjoy the sunshine and likes sitting on
someone's knee but spends most of the time in a certain location in
the kitchen. He is still drinking (a lot) and eating but is loosing
weight.

Should I continue to let the cat live what life he has left and wait
until his health is worst before considering putting him down?

Advice from others would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian

++++++
Sincere condolences, MLB
Old July 6th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

[...]

Mine drank water that had been contaminated with weed killer. (He too, liked
to drink from mud puddles and the like) This is just one more danger to
outside cats. Fortunately, most of my cats stay close in to the property.
They sun themselves on my deck or lawn, but generally, don't go more than as
far as the next door neighbor's driveway. But this was a young male who
liked to explore and play, "wild cat". He was 7-1/2 years old when he died
of the weed killer.