one kitty adopted!

Old November 2nd 03, 03:19 AM

Default one kitty adopted!

One of my foster kittens was adopted today! Not the one I've been
thinking of keeping (Rudy/Cooper, etc) - his brother, Jake. I have
to admit I'd gotten pretty attached to Jake, too. It was a slower
process because he's a lot more shy and less affectionate. But when
I did manage to pick him up and pet him, he'd purr his little head
off. And he has the most soft, fluffy, luxuriant fur! I was calling
him the "deep shag" cat. Also, "Little Bear", because he looks
like a miniature bear cub. The woman who adopted him was totally
smitten with him, so I think it's going to be a happy union.

So now, it's just the 4 of us: Roxy, Smudge, Rudy (Cooper/etc), and
myself. I'll get to see what it's like to have these three cats
together. I have to say, it's been a bit overwhelming to have four
cats, and that has weighed against my keeping Rudy. But for the next
week, it'll be just the 3, and maybe that'll feel just fine.

Meanwhile, Rudy is trying to get used to having his brother gone. I
don't think he even noticed at first! But this evening, when I was petting
him in the bedroom, he suddenly saw his reflection in the mirror and
went running toward it - I believe he thought the reflection was Jake
(both are black cats). Suddenly he seemed to understand it wasn't Jake,
and he stopped and stared at the reflection, and then walked away, looking
confused. He's also been much more affectionate toward me (not to mention
obnoxiously playful - ouch), I think to fill the void. I hope it's not
too stressful for him! I'm curious to see how this will affect his
relationships with Roxy and Smudge - hopefully, it'll be for the better.

Stay tuned!

Joyce
Old November 2nd 03, 05:33 AM
Marina

wrote
One of my foster kittens was adopted today!

Aw, it must be so hard to give up a cat that you fostered. I don't know how
you do it. Many purrs that Jake is happy in his new home, and many purrs for
Rudy to soon recover from losing his brother (and for you to decide to keep
him ;o) ).

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 2nd 03, 05:33 AM
jmcquown

Marina wrote:
wrote
One of my foster kittens was adopted today!

Aw, it must be so hard to give up a cat that you fostered. I don't
know how you do it. Many purrs that Jake is happy in his new home,
and many purrs for Rudy to soon recover from losing his brother (and
for you to decide to keep him ;o) ).

Ditto. I could never have a kitten and give him/her up.

Jill

Old November 2nd 03, 09:17 AM

jmcquown wrote:

Marina wrote:

Aw, it must be so hard to give up a cat that you fostered. I don't
know how you do it. Many purrs that Jake is happy in his new home,
and many purrs for Rudy to soon recover from losing his brother (and
for you to decide to keep him ;o) ).

Ditto. I could never have a kitten and give him/her up.

Well, interestingly enough, I was watching a little TV tonight, and
flipped past Animal Planet, which was showing that movie Ghost Cat
again. It was at the final scene in the film, which is not sad, but
in fact is really sweet (well, OK, maybe a bit bittersweet). I don't
want to say what happens in case some of you want to watch this movie
and haven't seen it yet.

Anyway, for some reason, that scene made me cry tonight. Not just get
a little teary, but actually cry. It was odd, because it didn't affect
me that way the first time I watched it. But then again, I can get
emotional about anything related to cats, even something that isn't
particularly sad or deep. Didn't think much of it.

Later I was out doing an errand, and all I did was think about that
scene again - and again, I started crying, in the car. So I started
to wonder what it was about that scene that affected me so much.
Suddenly I got it - ohhhh, right! Duh! I'm sad about Jake! That's
also a bittersweet feeling - I'm happy that he found a good home with
a woman who seems to be nuts about him, but I'm sad to say goodbye to
him. And I'm sad for Rudy, who is missing his brother. (He's cuddling
up to my monitor at the moment... it's warm, but not exactly soft and
furry.)

So, mystery solved. It *is* hard to give them up, especially after
having them for over 2 months, and for helping them go from little
scaredy kittens that ran under the bed every time I appeared to purring
cuties who'd run to me for pets, and cuddle with me in the evening.
So how could I help but get attached?

But I can't keep every cat I meet. I would love to, and if I had
enough money, space, and help, I probably would. I could definitely
get into being an *upscale* cat lady. But I don't even have a job
right now! And I live in a smallish apartment, that I don't own. What
if I had to move, maybe in a hurry? Wouldn't be too easy to find a
new place if I had 8 cats in tow. Someday, if I own my own place...
(dream on, this is San Francisco, the most expensive city in the
country)... So you see my dilemma!

Yes, it was hard to let go of soft, fluffy, plush, adorable Jake, but
I'm so happy he's found a good home.

Joyce
Old November 2nd 03, 11:00 AM
polonca12000

I'm so glad to hear Jake found his onetruehome! That's wonderful!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old November 2nd 03, 07:41 PM
Christine Burel

congrats on the adoption! Purrs for littleRudy/Cooper to fit in well and
quickly; he sounds so sweet.
Christine

Old November 2nd 03, 11:34 PM
m. L. Briggs

On 2 Nov 2003 22:08:46 GMT, CATherine
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 03:19:13 GMT, wrote:
snip
[...]

I have had 3 cats for years. There have been a few tussles but nothing
serious. I think it all depends on the personalities involved. Robin's
arrival upset the hardwon balance; but a new balance has worked out.
And with 4 cats, I can always be sure of a cat keeping my chair warm
the instant I get up; or a lapwarmer at all times; and my body warm in
bed==head, belly, feet, and back of knees. And if food falls to the
floor, it never lasts long...if it actually hits the floor. I am
already used to shuffling and sliding my feet when I walk, so one more
leg rubber didn't really matter. I hope your househld comes into
balance soon and with little fuss.

Purrs, CATherine

This makes me think of the cat saying: "I don't know where you are
going but I'll lead you there!" MLB
Old November 3rd 03, 03:12 AM
Brenda

wrote in message
[...]

we're sending some comforting purrs for Rudy.
Brenda

Name my kitty! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 49 October 30th 03 10:49 PM
Kitty Walk! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 17 October 24th 03 12:46 PM
Posting kitty pics? Allegra640 Cat anecdotes 2 September 23rd 03 04:57 AM
Kitty weather forecasts Bobcat Cat anecdotes 6 September 2nd 03 12:37 AM
yet another foster kitty! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 10 August 12th 03 09:41 PM