Cat Rescued

Old August 14th 04, 02:41 AM
Cat Protector

Default Cat Rescued

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a mixed breed cat with a bobtail
before? Today, I came across a cat that looks to be a Ocicat, possibly a
Bengal mix with a bushy tail (a stub possibly, it looked like his tail got
cut off and they left a bushy part). He looked to be abandoned and the
complex office was kind enough to allow him to stay in the clubhouse for the
night (one of the people that works there is a cat person). I brought over
some food, cat litter and a litter box so he had the basics for the night.
The office person and another resident had put food and water outside
previously but with a storm on its way I thought the cat was probably better
off in the clubhouse where it is air conditioned (yes it is hot and humid in
Phoenix) and it even has a TV so I put on the Olympics so he could watch.

I have contacted various rescue groups in the Phoenix area to see if they
have room for this sweet cat. He is a beautiful cat and he was crying a lot.
The Arizona heat is not a great place for felines to be outdoors and he was
panting quite a bit. This cat looked to be around 5 months old and in good
spirits despite being a bit on the thin side.

Old August 14th 04, 02:54 AM
MacCandace

Did you contact HALO? Helping Animals Live On? They are the ones that use
Petsmart to adopt their cats out and who we adopted our most recent cat from.
They take animals from the euthanasia list at the pound but they also get
animals all sorts of other ways, including owner turn-ins and strays off the
street. There's a contact email on the website but I don't think you can call
them, I think you have to email them.

http://www.halorescue.org/

And how about that shelter that you work with sometimes, can't they help you?
Sun Valley.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old August 14th 04, 03:04 AM
Cat Protector

I emailed HALO and am awaiting response back. It was after 5 pm when the cat
was found. Sun Valley has also been contacted but they seem to have put more
into rescuing cats through the New Hope Program. Last time I contacted them
about a possible rescue they said they were only taking in cats on the New
Hope list. The main thing right now is the cat is safe from the storm and
the hot weather.

Old August 14th 04, 10:36 PM
Cat Protector

Well here is an update on the cat I rescued. His name kind of came to me
last night so I am calling him Icarus after the Greek demi-god that flew too
close to the sun melting his wax wings. The complex management said they did
not want him in the clubhouse. The office worker that allowed him to stay
there last night was not willing to take him home with her. Apparently she
had a lot of excuses not to such as being worried about her other cat, not
being home, etc, etc. I informed her that if she kept the cat in the
bathroom seperated from her other cat with food, water and litterbox, that
it would be just fine. This still did not change her mind despite her
feeling that it might be good to adopt another cat to keep her other cat
company since she said she isn't home much.

Long story short I took the cat in for the night and hopefully can get him
placed in a no-kill (as full as a lot of them have become as a result of cat
and kitten season) as I am still waiting to hear back from a few of them. I
placed Icarus in my bathroom with the light on (I am going to try to get a
night light to save on energy). He also has food, water and a litterbox.
Isis and Jade were hovering outside the door and I think Isis was trying to
swipe at him from underneath the door. Jade also was in the area as well. I
have yet to hear any hissing. I placed a couple of towels underneath the
door to reduce cats swiping at each other. He has front claws so this could
get interesting. He is somewhat thin so this might also be an abandonment
issue. He is crying a lot but has calmed down in spots.

One person from this newsgroup contacted me and might be willing to take him
in as she has 5 cats. He may need to be spayed and checked out for the usual
like FELV, FIV and the other stuff. Is there anything else I can do for him?
I think the best thing about him is he is safe. I am rather upset with the
management though.

Old August 14th 04, 11:46 PM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
snip

One person from this newsgroup contacted me and might be willing to take

him
in as she has 5 cats. He may need to be spayed and checked out for the

usual
like FELV, FIV and the other stuff. Is there anything else I can do for

him?
I think the best thing about him is he is safe. I am rather upset with the
management though.

Take him to the vet and get him tested for FeLV and FIV first, and have them
check to see if he is neutered. You can usually tell if an adult male is
intact by his head size and smell. If he is not neutered, then get him
neutered ASAP. If you can do this, and get his FVRCP and rabies vaccines
(DON'T get FeLV vacc, this may cause the cat to test positive!), I bet the
rescue group will be able to get him in that much quicker. That is a lot of
stuff and expense that they don't have to do.

By the way, you don't need to keep the light on in the bathroom. I'm sure
he would like it to be dark at night like normal.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old August 15th 04, 12:34 AM
Cat Protector

I am still awaiting word from a couple of rescues though. I don't think you
can tell if a cat has been fixed on whether or not their head is larger so I
have no clue where you got that info. He hasn't sprayed so it is possible
that he was neutered. I put a night light in the bathroom for him and have a
CD player going with some music so he has something to listen to and keep
calm. He is also purring.