(OT) AT LAST!!!!

Old January 2nd 05, 10:35 PM
Mathew Kagis

Default (OT) AT LAST!!!!

Thaks to all who sent an e-mail to the Minister of National Defence... The
D.A.R.T. unit is off to Sri Lanka!!!! Our Govt. is now tossing in $80m as
well as matching private donations dollar for dollar.

Alot of our govt.'s response has been because they were shamed into it by
the response of average people like you & me. It gives me hope when average
folks can affect massive & rapid action by the powers that be.

--
Mathew

En Vino Veritas

Old January 3rd 05, 12:33 AM
Mary

"Mathew Kagis" wrote in message
Thaks to all who sent an e-mail to the Minister of National Defence... The
D.A.R.T. unit is off to Sri Lanka!!!! Our Govt. is now tossing in $80m as
well as matching private donations dollar for dollar.

Alot of our govt.'s response has been because they were shamed into it by
the response of average people like you & me. It gives me hope when

average
folks can affect massive & rapid action by the powers that be.

--
Mathew

En Vino Veritas

In wine there is truth?

Old January 3rd 05, 04:00 AM
badwilson

"Mary" wrote in message
om...

"Mathew Kagis" wrote in message
Thaks to all who sent an e-mail to the Minister of National

Defence... The
D.A.R.T. unit is off to Sri Lanka!!!! Our Govt. is now tossing in

$80m as
well as matching private donations dollar for dollar.

Alot of our govt.'s response has been because they were shamed

into it by
the response of average people like you & me. It gives me hope

when
average
folks can affect massive & rapid action by the powers that be.

--
Mathew

En Vino Veritas

In wine there is truth?

No, I think he's talking about my cat, Vino. He never lies. Well,
not often anyway ;-)
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old January 3rd 05, 05:15 AM
Mary

"badwilson" wrote:

--
Mathew

En Vino Veritas

In wine there is truth?

No, I think he's talking about my cat, Vino. He never lies. Well,
not often anyway ;-)
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's
covered in fur!
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Damn. I wondered why I got to the end of the bottle and didn't feel
the least bit enlightened.

Old January 3rd 05, 04:37 PM
BudGan

Mathew Kagis wrote:
Thaks to all who sent an e-mail to the Minister of National Defence... The
D.A.R.T. unit is off to Sri Lanka!!!! Our Govt. is now tossing in $80m as
well as matching private donations dollar for dollar.

Alot of our govt.'s response has been because they were shamed into it by
the response of average people like you & me.

I'm sure you'd like to think that, but that is supremely naive. The
initial aid appropriated was for immediate help until the dust settled
, at which time we were able to ascertain what and where the greater
needs were. Throwing money into the wind before the situation was
clear just to look good would have been very stupid and wasteful (not
to mention political). Now we are able to put the money where it will
do the most good.

Old January 3rd 05, 07:44 PM
Mathew Kagis

"BudGan" wrote in message

Alot of our govt.'s response has been because they were shamed into it

by
the response of average people like you & me.

I'm sure you'd like to think that, but that is supremely naive. The
initial aid appropriated was for immediate help until the dust settled
, at which time we were able to ascertain what and where the greater
needs were. Throwing money into the wind before the situation was
clear just to look good would have been very stupid and wasteful (not
to mention political). Now we are able to put the money where it will
do the most good.

....I beg to differ. Our Prime Minister stayed on vacation in Morocco, as
the tragedey unfolded. The Govt's financial contribution magically jumped
from $4m to $40m when private cziticens donations were about to eclipse
their own. Immediate help would have constitiuted getting the DART unit in
the air the day of the tragedey, not 10 days later (they are, in theorey, a
rapid deployment team). As the world knew within hoursof the event that it
was a 9.0 quake & 6 meter tsunami waves, I'm sure it took a large team of
government monkeys to figure out...'hmmm, this might be BAD'

Mathew