Top spot flea control

Old April 23rd 04, 12:24 PM
Kate Orman

Default Top spot flea control

Hi everyone - my cats (both desexed male DSHs) put up a fight when I
apply their monthly top spot anti-flea and worm treatment (but not as
much of a fight as trying to give them a pill!). That means I can't
neatly get the liquid onto the skin at the back of their neck; some
sticks to the fur around. I'm not absolutely sure how a top spot
works, or if this is a problem - I'm particularly concerned about
their swallowing it, or not being adequately protected from parasites.
They've never seemed to have a problem as a result, but I'm still
concerned. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!
- Kate
Old April 23rd 04, 01:57 PM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:24:08 -0700, Kate Orman wrote:

Hi everyone - my cats (both desexed male DSHs) put up a fight when I
apply their monthly top spot anti-flea and worm treatment (but not as
much of a fight as trying to give them a pill!).

Top spot? You're using Frontline then? I don't recall that being
indicated for intestinal parasites.

That means I can't
neatly get the liquid onto the skin at the back of their neck; some
sticks to the fur around. I'm not absolutely sure how a top spot
works, or if this is a problem - I'm particularly concerned about
their swallowing it, or not being adequately protected from parasites.

They've never seemed to have a problem as a result, but I'm still
concerned. Can anyone give me some advice?

This shouldn't be a problem. I am partial to advantage myself, and even
went so far as to use a needle-less syringe to administer from a 4mL large
dog dose during our (poor) attempt at breeding bengals. The short of it is
that, inevitably, it will get on the fur, some will be eaten in the course
of grooming (and cause little more than a bit of extra salivating), and
its effectiveness (at least, in Advantage) never seemed to be reduced.
The only time I've witnessed this being problematic is in Hartz Advanced
Care, but Hartz around here is considered harmful anyway.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old April 24th 04, 01:54 AM
Kate Orman

Dennis Carr wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:24:08 -0700, Kate Orman wrote:

Hi everyone - my cats (both desexed male DSHs) put up a fight when I
apply their monthly top spot anti-flea and worm treatment (but not as
much of a fight as trying to give them a pill!).

Top spot? You're using Frontline then? I don't recall that being
indicated for intestinal parasites.

Something called "Revolution", which does fleas, heartworm, ear mites,
hookworm, and roundworm.

[...]

This morning the gunk has vanished from both cats, so I guess it's
been absorbed, or spread thinly over their coats, or eaten. :-)

Thanks,
- Kate