[UPDATE] Xmas Scare

Old December 27th 05, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [UPDATE] Xmas Scare

First, thank and bless you dear folks who called into the vet's to
help me out before I even got there! You are wonderful, and your help
is deeply appreciated.

Now I'm a little embarrassed. sheepish grin Here's why.

I decided to take in Wolfie, who was also having a chin problem that
looked more definitely like an abscess to me. And Trill, who has EGC
(rodent ulcer) and was overdue for his Depo-Medrol shot. I was most
worried about my little girl, Merlyn, of course, not having any idea
what was going on with her. The vet is usually good about not
charging for extra cats if I bring in more than one (though this time,
he did charge the half-fee), so I thought I would get them all taken
care of at once.

Trill *definitely* needed the shot, so that got done, and hopefully
will help his problem.

Merlyn was thoroughly checked out. He said the lump was moveable and
not painful, and he was strongly inclined to believe it was not
cancerous. After hearing that she is allergic to fleas and was
treated with Advantage a couple of weeks ago (thanks to what the
kittens brought in with them), he suspects she either had a bad
reaction to the fleas and just scratched so hard at the area that she
created some sort of problem, or she has acne. Wolfie has acne.

So I went crazy with worry over an allergic reaction and/or acne.

Embarrassed, I tell you.

But very relieved, too.

So I'm to get out the antibiotic cream and torture Merlyn and Wolfie
with it until their problems go away (hopefully). If Merlyn's
doesn't, or it grows, then it *could* be something else, and I will
have to bring her back in again. But he seemed confident that she
would be fine.

Alice, the vet tech, fell in love with Wolfie. I think she wanted to
keep him. She thought he was so sweet and gentle, and I had to laugh
and tell her he can be a very opinionated cat that is quite neurotic.
I don't think she believed me.

They all lived through the trauma and made it home where they curled
up happily after dinner and slept off the day.

Thank you again, dear friends, for helping out my babies on this one.

If everyone stays healthy, all I have left is Jack and Kate's neuter
and spay and rabies vaccines. Then I am directing ALL cats to stay
healthy for ALL of 2006!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old December 27th 05, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

If everyone stays healthy, all I have left is Jack and Kate's neuter
and spay and rabies vaccines. Then I am directing ALL cats to stay
healthy for ALL of 2006!

Excellent news!

And I'll second that instruction to the cats. I've given our the same
direction. I'm ready for 2006 to be better than 2005 was.

Dan
Old December 27th 05, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
snip he suspects she either had a bad
reaction to the fleas and just scratched so hard at the area that she
created some sort of problem, or she has acne. Wolfie has acne.

So I went crazy with worry over an allergic reaction and/or acne.

Ginger-lyn

What type of bowls do you use for food and water? Plastic bowls are known
to cause chin acne in some cats, possibly because they retain bacteria. If
you use plastic, it would be a good idea to change to ceramic or stainless
steel and wash them often.

MaryL

Old December 27th 05, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

That happened to my spirit he had a reaction to the plastic bowls looked
like a flea egg patch under his chin when the vet combed it out it was all
dead skin. We changed to stainless steel water and feeding dished that we
wash daily no more problems

newsMfsf.14485$9G.4276@dukeread10...

Old December 27th 05, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
snip he suspects she either had a bad
reaction to the fleas and just scratched so hard at the area that she
created some sort of problem, or she has acne. Wolfie has acne.

So I went crazy with worry over an allergic reaction and/or acne.

Ginger-lyn

What type of bowls do you use for food and water? Plastic bowls are known
to cause chin acne in some cats, possibly because they retain bacteria.
If you use plastic, it would be a good idea to change to ceramic or
stainless steel and wash them often.

MaryL

Especially if you have more than one cat.

Molly arrived with a bad case of chin acne. I'd hold a warm, damp wash
cloth against it to soften it up a couple of times every day and then rub
Neosporin into it with an old soft toothbrush. It cleared up in about two
weeks.

Jo

Old December 28th 05, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:32:04 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

What type of bowls do you use for food and water? Plastic bowls are known
to cause chin acne in some cats, possibly because they retain bacteria. If
you use plastic, it would be a good idea to change to ceramic or stainless
steel and wash them often.

MaryL

I changed to strictly ceramic and stainless steel several years ago
because Trill had a problem with acne. So I have no idea how these
things flared up. With Merlyn, it was probably related to the flea
allergy and she just kept scratching at it. Wolfie is an all-white
cat, and they tend to be very sensitive to skin conditions, so who
knows how his came about?

Old December 28th 05, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:27:16 -0800, Dan M wrote:

If everyone stays healthy, all I have left is Jack and Kate's neuter
and spay and rabies vaccines. Then I am directing ALL cats to stay
healthy for ALL of 2006!

Excellent news!

And I'll second that instruction to the cats. I've given our the same
direction. I'm ready for 2006 to be better than 2005 was.

Dan

Thank you very much, Dan :-) And let's hope they listen to us!

Old December 28th 05, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
First, thank and bless you dear folks who called into the vet's to
help me out before I even got there! You are wonderful, and your help
is deeply appreciated.

Now I'm a little embarrassed. sheepish grin Here's why.

Please don't be embarrassed, I'm sure that everyone agrees with me that it
is better to have a scare than the real thing. I'm very poor about donating
money, but the purrs and good thoughts and wishes are there for whoever
needs them. I love this group and everyone in it.

Pam S. grateful for you all