Cat repeatedly vomiting?

Old February 17th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat repeatedly vomiting?

Niel Humphreys wrote:

You said try and feed him small bits of food at a time. When food is always
around and he is used to that I can't force feed him when I want him to eat.
Doesn't work with cats.

I had to do this with Jay Jay when I first got him. He had diarhea from
the food change, so he went on a special diet. I had to remove the
feeders from my bedroom, and close the door to the bathroom where the
other feeders were. The other 3 cats had to get limited access to food
to make sure that Jay Jay only got the special diet.

Later, we determined that one food still bothered Jay Jay, but it is
Chase's favorite. So, we keep that food in one bowl in my nephew's room
where Jay Jay will not go. I also made his food easily available in his
favorite place, so while he has access to 5 kinds, he mostly eats the
one I want him to eat.

I also had to limit the amount for awhile because he was a former stray
and free feeding was too tempting for him. He was gaining weight too
quickly. So, I had to put food in his bowl 2x a time and let it run out
to keep him limited. After several months, I increased the amount in
the bowl and could see the leftovers, so he can free feed now.

If you remove the feeder and just add small amounts to the bowl during
the day, he can still eat when he feels like it, but the amounts will
be limited by the amount available to him.

Old February 17th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Phil P." wrote in message

Thanks Phil. I just had a good look at the site Anna posted and he does

seem
to have a lot of the symptoms of CRF, I imagine this will show in his
bloodwork.

While you're getting his blood tested, have his T4 and urine checked at the
same time.

P.

Old February 17th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Margarita Salt" wrote in message
John Doe wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

At the slightest sign, I can wake up from a dead sleep, grab a
Styrofoam plate, and get to where my cat is going to barf.

Kami makes an announcement before she barfs. When I hear that
particular yowl, I can usually scooch her onto the linoleum, or slide
newpaper or something under her. Funny thing is, she always tries to
move away from what I have deemed "barfable," like running from the
kitchent o the living room to do, or backing up so as *not* to get it
on the peper.

Silly animals.

--
Margarita Salt

"...practically no one in the world is entirely bad or
entirely good... motives are often more important than
actions." -- Eleanore Roosevelt

If mine start gagging in the kitchen they make sure they move into a
carpeted area before they barf.

Old February 17th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

If mine start gagging in the kitchen they make sure they move into a
carpeted area before they barf.

Ain't that the way! One of mine will move off the ceramic floor when she's
about to hurl and run to the hardwood floor because of course watery vomit is
great for wood floors. Another goes into my closet and deposits her
hairballs into my shoes; so courteous of her to keep them off the rug!

NanCe

Old February 17th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Update

Took Q to the vets today. There was a new assistant on duty and true to form
Q did not submit willingly to have a needle inserted so they took him in for
the day so that they could take the sample when the more experienced help
came to work later. Turns out they had to sedate him but while he was under
the vet took an x-ray of his abdomen & said there was absolutely nothing out
of the ordinary showing. Blood tests will be ready on Monday so will see
what they bring up.

In the meantime he hasn't vomited today as well as yesterday (though part of
that is probably due to stress) & vet seems to think it is nothing very
serious....... fingers crossed.

--

Niel H

Old February 18th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

of the ordinary showing. Blood tests will be ready on Monday so will see
what they bring up.

You should also have his urine tested. Sometimes the inability to
concentrate the urine well shows up first before anything out of the ordinary
shows up in the blood test for kidney disease. At least 70% of the kidneys
must be destroyed before it shows in the blood test; therefore if, say, 50%
of a cat's kidneys are destroyed, it will not show up in the blood test.

Also, as Phil stated, you should consider a T4 test also. That will check
for hyperthyroidism. That is another condition that older cats with
unexplained weight loss may have. Usually they will eat a lot but still
lose weight and are hyperactive. They may also drink and urinate more and
can have vomiting and diarreah.

In the meantime he hasn't vomited today as well as yesterday (though part of
that is probably due to stress) & vet seems to think it is nothing very
serious....... fingers crossed.

That's good.

Anna

Old February 25th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Phil P." wrote in message

Thanks Phil. I just had a good look at the site Anna posted and he does

seem
to have a lot of the symptoms of CRF, I imagine this will show in his
bloodwork.

While you're getting his blood tested, have his T4 and urine checked at
the
same time.

Q is getting a lot better. The vet found a skin infection along his back
which he's been licking and creating addional hairballs and it looks like
one had got stuck. He is having treatment for that now and hasn't been sick
in over a week & is putting on weight and being happy again.

Sadly it took my eye off my other old boy who has fallen ill and the
prognosis for him doesn't look good.
--

Niel H

Old February 26th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...

"Phil P." wrote in message

Thanks Phil. I just had a good look at the site Anna posted and he does

seem
to have a lot of the symptoms of CRF, I imagine this will show in his
bloodwork.

While you're getting his blood tested, have his T4 and urine checked at
the
same time.

Q is getting a lot better. The vet found a skin infection along his back
which he's been licking and creating addional hairballs and it looks like
one had got stuck. He is having treatment for that now and hasn't been

sick
in over a week & is putting on weight and being happy again.

Sadly it took my eye off my other old boy who has fallen ill and the
prognosis for him doesn't look good.

See my other post. Speak to your vet about a diuretic/nitro/potassium- I
think that will help his breathing.

Phil