[Yowlet] The Artist

Old December 12th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [Yowlet] The Artist

The Yowlet goes to 'school' 2 days a week. By 'school' I actually mean
daycare, but he's already told me that only babies go to daycare, and big
boys go to school. So, school it is, even if it happens to be hte exact same
place as daycare :-)

Going to dayc, I mean, school 2 days a week means that we are flooded with
the art & crafts that he does whilst there. Most screwed up bits of paper
with a dob of paint or a crayon scratch get surreptiously disposed of at
night, whilst he's not looking, as we can't possibly keep it all, but
occasionally I find something that is worthy of my half of the office wall
at work.

Yesterday, I had found one that looked like he'd actually tried to draw
something rather than just randomly applying crayon to the paper.

"OOOh, this is really good," I cooed, "tell me about it. What did you draw?"

"This is, um, this is, um Mummymummymummy, want eat!"

naturally, one can't discuss fine art on an empty stomach, it is traditional
to have finger food and quality beverages one going to an art show.

A vegemite sandwich and a glass of milk worked better than anchovies on
bruschetta with basil pesto and 10 year old french pinot noir though. My
child may be an artist, but doesn't quite manage pretentious yet.

"So, what did you draw?"

"Yee-har" (That means horse in Yowlish)

"Oh, and this is....... grass?" I hazarded a guess at the green patch of
squiggles.

"Yee-har eat grass" the Yowlet nodded in agreement.
..
"And is that the sun shining down on the horse?" I said, figuring that the
yellow vaguely circular squiggle up the top would probably be the sun

"Sun is warm, sun is big. Sun fills whole sky all days", Cary confirmed.

I thought I was getting pretty good at this.

"And this is Cary?" I asked, pointing at the blue blotchy bit with two dots
and perhaps two legs if you swuinted and looked at it sideways.

"Silly Mummy, that just scribble"

Pass the pinot noir.....

Yowie

--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old December 12th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Caroline S.

Default The Artist

On Dec 12, 3:42 pm, "Yowie" wrote:
snip Cary's budding artistic talents

Congrats Yowie! my DD1 just started drawing recognizable stuff over
the summer. She does really cute cars, and I've loved watching the
evolution of people from just a head with two stick legs and arms to
people with bodies, fingers on arms, eyelashes on eyes etc. She drew a
family portrait at "school" (pre-K program at daycare) and it included
both Pippin and Mithu, and her little sister!

It's soooo fun to watch the abilities blossom. For the really
interesting ones, i'll write a brief title or description on the back,
along with the date, for future reference. I know what you mean
though, about the volume of drawings. I stick quite a bit in the
recycling bin myself.

Cheers!
Caroline S.
Old December 12th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

.
"And is that the sun shining down on the horse?" I said, figuring
that the yellow vaguely circular squiggle up the top would probably
be the sun
"Sun is warm, sun is big. Sun fills whole sky all days", Cary
confirmed.
I thought I was getting pretty good at this.

"And this is Cary?" I asked, pointing at the blue blotchy bit with
two dots and perhaps two legs if you swuinted and looked at it
sideways.
"Silly Mummy, that just scribble"

Pass the pinot noir.....

Yowie

Thanks for the laugh, Vicky, I needed that today.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old December 12th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Yowie, hilarious story. I love it. I remember when my daughter
was that age and bringing home drawings. She mostly drew stick
people with flowers growing on their heads. Or at least we thought
they were flowers, until the day we mentioned how pretty the
flowers were and she told us they were really hats. We felt kinda
silly not recognizing that OF COURSE! they were hats.

I miss those days, my little girl is now 30. Enjoy the little one while
you can. They grow up so fast.

Lily's mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old December 12th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

LOL. I have about the same luck with grandkids. Not seeing well, I sort of
guess at things and am mostly wrong!!! I have a deal now where I tell them,
it is important to describe exactly what you have drawn on the paper so
others will appreciate it. This has worked...thus far!

Old December 13th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [Yowlet] The Hap (was [Yowlet] The Artist)

"Irulan" wrote in message
. ..
Yowie, hilarious story. I love it. I remember when my daughter
was that age and bringing home drawings. She mostly drew stick
people with flowers growing on their heads. Or at least we thought
they were flowers, until the day we mentioned how pretty the
flowers were and she told us they were really hats. We felt kinda
silly not recognizing that OF COURSE! they were hats.

Ah, the hap.

Cary had very badly blocked ears when he was very young (they're now fine)
and his hearing wasn't the best. So instead of prouncing the hard 't' sound,
he pronounced it 'p'. Whilst the words he learnt later - with clearer
hearing - are prounounced correctly, there very earliest words remain
misprounonced, and I haven't bothered to correct his his favourite animal:
pussycaps, where poo comes from: boppims (bottoms) and the things you wear
on your head: haps. I know it will self correct soon enough, but in the mean
time, I find it just too cute.

It being Australia, sunburn is a real issuefor everyone, starting day one.
When I went to school, the received wisdom was to go out and get oneself the
nastiest case of sunburn you could get on the first day of summer, suffer
the pain, blisters and eventual peeling of one or two layers, and then you'd
be fine for the rest of the summer. The only place you'd put sunscreen (and
it was that gunky white zinc oxide paste) was over the top of the nose and
bottom lip, and only if you were going to be out in the sun *all day*.
Otherwise, on English tourists and wimps wore sunscreen. But times have
changed and children in any institution can't go outside unless they're
wearing a hat and sunscreen, and its no different at Cary's "school".

He started there before he could even walk, but he had to wear a hat anyway.

Just after he was born, my sister made a matching blue-cammo patterned
'bucket' hat and pants for him. His pants quickly became too small, but
despite the fact the bucket hat was *way* to big (I can put it on *my*
head!), he became very very attached to his blue cammo bucket 'hap' it would
not go anywher outside the house without it. It became his security blanket
and he would scream blue bloody murder if someone took it off.

We knew he was getting used to being somewhere if his hat came off during
activities and he didn't dive to put it straight back on. Once he considered
it a truly safe (inside) place, he woudl take it off himself, but woe betide
*anyone*, including Joel and I, who tried to take it off his head. He was
*extremely* attached to said hap.

We have friends with children - a boy and a girl - who are older than Cary.
We get alot of their hand-me-downs. In on bag there was a large woman's blue
sun hat with 'bad girl' written on in 'graffiti' script. Cary took an
instant like to said hap, and for the past year and a half - since he was 2
or so, there is no photo of Cary outside of either my house or my parent's
house where his face isn't half obscured by this gigantic big blue floppy
hat bit "bad girl' embroidered prominantly on the front. I even drove a
100km round trip back to my sister's place because we'd accidently left it
there and had bundled the Yowlet into the car whilst he was asleep. He would
never have gone out the door without his beloved hap.

Just before we went on holidays, we thought perhaps we needed a more
appropriate hap^Ht, one more suited to swimming and water activities than a
big floppy blue canvas hat with 'bad girl' on it and a large unmovable stain
from him filling the thign with tomato sauce once. We found a very nifty
'surfing' hat, that was strap on (always a good choice), protected his ears
from accidental splashes, had a wide brim, and looked a bit more appropriate
than "bad girl". He wore it for most of the holiday, but didn't attach to it
as much as he had the previous two haps. Ocasionally, he'd even forget to
put it one, and we had to remind him.

We thought perhaps the hap obession was broken, and now he'd simple wear a
*hat* when he needed protection from sunburn.

This of course, was not to be. Near the end of the my vacation we were
cleaningup his room, sorting out clothes that were too small for him, still
too big for him, and clothes so hideous we'd never let him wear, and there,
in one of the bags of 'too small' was the first blue-cammo bucket hat.

I had a bit of a 'Wistful Mother' moment and thought that perhaps since we
didn't have a pair of booties to put away, perhaps we should put away his
beloved hap as a keepsake. Ishould have been quicker and not so darn
sentimental, because as I sat there, with hap in hand, reminiscing baby
thoughts, Cary came in, snatched the blue cammo bucket hat out of my hand
and said with all the passion a three and a half year old can muster (and
thats alot) " I love this hap!!!".

And once again, it has become almost permanantly attached to his head. Guess
the 'hap' hasn't quite retired yet.

Yowie

Old December 13th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Yowie wrote:
snip
And once again, it has become almost permanantly attached to his
head. Guess the 'hap' hasn't quite retired yet.

Yowie

What a beautiful post, I was smiling all the way through it. :-)

Old December 13th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:13:41 +0000, Adrian A wrote:

Yowie wrote:
snip
And once again, it has become almost permanantly attached to his head.
Guess the 'hap' hasn't quite retired yet.

Yowie

What a beautiful post, I was smiling all the way through it. :-)

Yes it was and it brought old memories. My son, at that age had a straw
hat that went on first thing in the morning and I had to "talk it off"
when he went to bed. He loved it and he didn't want people to see his
hair. A lot of fuss usually was made about his beautiful, slightly curly
silver-white hair.

Regarding baby talk, IMHO you should insist he do it right. If not, the
other kids will make fun of him when he starts school...and kids can be
cruel. Best wishes. MLB

[OT] The Yowlet turns 2 Yowie Cat anecdotes 39 April 23rd 06 01:55 AM
[OT] Purrs for Yowlet Yowie Cat anecdotes 37 September 14th 05 09:34 PM
From the Yowlet Yowie Cat anecdotes 18 April 20th 05 12:23 PM
[OT] Yowlet with Vegemite Yowie Cat anecdotes 40 February 1st 05 06:23 AM
Yowlet :^) dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 17 August 26th 04 01:43 AM