[OT] Letter of Resignation

Old May 28th 05, 08:31 PM
Mary

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 May 2005 09:45:22 -0500, Catnipped wrote:

OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas industry

as
I've done most of my life, I've always changed job because of a lay-off

or
reorganization. So, please let me know what you think about this letter
of resignation (besides the fact that it's full of lies! ;):

Re. Termination of Employment

Dear Sirs:

It has been both a pleasure and a privilege to have worked for you at

CGI
(formerly Container-Care International) for the past thirteen months. I
have learned a lot during that time and hope that I have contributed
positively to the business as well.

So, it is with regret that I must tender to you my resignation.

I have been offered a job working at my first career choice, web
architecture.

Because of the pressing needs of my new employer I can only offer you

one
week's notice, but intend to help, however I can, to ease any transition
issues you may face because of this short notice.

Since my new employment starts Monday, June 6, 2005, I think the best

plan
of action would be to transition my administrative duties and, as Mr.

XXXX
had previously suggested, contract to CGI, either through my new

employer
or directly, any services you will need to continue the development of

the
company intranet.

Thank you, all, for making my working experience here pleasant and
rewarding. I am going to miss working with you and I wish you and your
company success and prosperity.

Yours,

CatNipped

IMHO -- why bother with a letter? Just walk in and tell them you are
giving them one week's notice. Do not elaborate -- the less said the
better. If you feel you must write a letter, make it as simple as
possible and don't give excuses. MLB

I like the letter. She is killing them with kindness and making them feel as
small as they are for mistreating her. I think it shows great personal
style. But to each her own.

Old May 28th 05, 09:28 PM
SuzQ

Very classy letter. Now write one that says what you really feel ;o)
Mischievious
Suz&Spicey

Old May 28th 05, 09:39 PM
Catnipped

"SuzQ" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
Very classy letter. Now write one that says what you really feel ;o)
Mischievious
Suz&Spicey

I like what Helen wrote above! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 28th 05, 10:20 PM
jmcquown

Catnipped wrote:
"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:314e48963d26b694737455cab8c00847.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Catnipped" wrote in message

OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas
industry as I've done most of my life, I've always changed job
because of a lay-off or reorganization. So, please let me know
what you think about this letter of resignation (besides the fact
that it's full of lies!////

I've got a better one VBG

Dear a$$wipe,

Because you were such sh*ts to me and I was unable to do my job
because of the fact you are all unreasonable a$$holes, I've decided
to get a better job - which I now have - Hahaha.

BTW - I'm suing you and your company because I now have long term
stress no thanks to you!

Up yours,
Catnipped.

Then again, maybe not ;o)

On a serious note, It's a great letter although I personally wouldn't
tell them that you've moved back into web design - I'd leave that out
altogether. It's none of their beeswax.

Good news about the job!

Helen M

ROTFLMAOWTIME! Oh how I *wish* I could send your letter instead! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

I agree with others not to give them details of your new employer, nor to
commit to doing any of their web stuff on a contract basis. I would state I
found a position which better fits my professional skills and leave it at
that. If you WANT to do some contract work, I would phrase it in such a way
that you MIGHT be able to assist with some web work on a contract basis once
you've settled in to your new position.

I realize you don't want to slam the door, but you don't really know how
busy you're going to be in your new position. And frankly, you don't owe
anyone, especially your old boss, a damn thing. So leave the contract
option open, if you wish, but don't tell them specifics about how that would
work unless they approach you later about it. My 2 cents.

Jill

Old May 28th 05, 10:23 PM
Pamela Shirk

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news

IMHO -- why bother with a letter? Just walk in and tell them you are
giving them one week's notice. Do not elaborate -- the less said the
better. If you feel you must write a letter, make it as simple as
possible and don't give excuses. MLB

If Catnipped doesn't send a letter of resignation, someone can claim (and
probably would) that she didn't officially resign and then try to stick it
to her. Personally, I'd keep my new information vague and not let the old
company think that they can continue to use her, as was suggested by the
other members of the group. I think that Lori was much nicer than I would
have been, but then I'm not a nice person.

Pam S.

Old May 28th 05, 10:23 PM
Catnipped

"Pamela Shirk" wrote in message
link.net...

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news

IMHO -- why bother with a letter? Just walk in and tell them you are
giving them one week's notice. Do not elaborate -- the less said the
better. If you feel you must write a letter, make it as simple as
possible and don't give excuses. MLB

If Catnipped doesn't send a letter of resignation, someone can claim (and
probably would) that she didn't officially resign and then try to stick it
to her. Personally, I'd keep my new information vague and not let the old
company think that they can continue to use her, as was suggested by the
other members of the group. I think that Lori was much nicer than I would
have been, but then I'm not a nice person.

Pam S.

LIAR! You are too nice. In fact you're one of the nicest people I know!
;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 28th 05, 10:32 PM
jmcquown

wrote:

OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas
industry as I've done most of my life, I've always changed job
because of a lay-off or reorganization. So, please let me know what
you think about this letter of resignation (besides the fact that
it's full of lies! ;):

I've written one of these before. They're kind of fun

Don't know what's right or wrong, but here are some comments solely
based on how I did mine.

Re. Termination of Employment

I called mine "Resignation". That way, it's clear to any reading this
in the future that they didn't terminate you, you resigned them.

Exactly right. The boss sounds like just the kind of dipwad who would claim
he fired her, especially since he just belittled her and turned down her
requested raise.

Dear Sirs:

I wrote mine directly to my manager, and cc'd HR

Yep, I've always done that, too.

I didn't provide them any information about my new employment in my
letter. I told him when my boss asked, but otherwise I didn't think it
was any of their business.

Agreed.

Again, I didn't bring up my new employer. I told them that I'd be
happy to transition my duties to anyone they designated and let it go
at that.

And to be honest, if they didn't have a backup plan for what to do if she
quit or got hit by a bus, it's really their own fault, isn't it?

I'm constantly told by former co-workers what a shambles and mistake it was
for that manager to let me go. People started bailing right and left,
either electing to move into other departments or even go back from whence
they came after clamouring to get into Support.

I am much better off, even if I am still technically unemployed. Life was
becoming living hell there.

My comments aside, that's a nice letter

Too nice, IMHO!

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

Jill

Old May 28th 05, 10:34 PM
Catnipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, after reading all the comments I agree. I changed "termination" to
"resignation", I altered it to still be nice and respectful, but not quite
so gushing, I took out all details about my new job, and I didn't commit to
anything beyond the end of my employment.

Thanks, all, for the help!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 29th 05, 12:19 AM
Yowie

"Catnipped" wrote in message
OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas industry as
I've done most of my life, I've always changed job because of a lay-off or
reorganization. So, please let me know what you think about this letter
of
resignation (besides the fact that it's full of lies! ;):

See, I don't believe in lying. That doens't, however, mean I can't play
clever games with words.

How I"d write it (feel free to ignore me)

LETTER OF RESIGNATION

Dear XXXXX

I regret having to inform you of my resignation [this isn't a lie - you'd
prefer to tell them to stick it up their *****]. I have been offered a
position [don't call it a job] in web archetecture which, as you know, is my
first career choice.

Because of the pressing needs of my new employer, I can only offer you one
week's notice, but am willing to help [ie, I am not going to do it myself,
but will help someone else] make the transition as smooth and easy as
possible.

Thank you for making my working experience here interesting [in a Chinese
Curse sort of sense] and I appreciate the oppurtunities to learn [that I
can't stand doing this] and develop [a hatred for you] that this company
has given me.

Wishing the company success and posperity,

Catnipped.

Hope that helps,

Yowie

Catnipped

Old May 29th 05, 12:33 AM
jmcquown

Yowie wrote:
"Catnipped" wrote in message
OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas
industry as I've done most of my life, I've always changed job
because of a lay-off or reorganization. So, please let me know what
you think about this letter of
resignation (besides the fact that it's full of lies! ;):

See, I don't believe in lying. That doens't, however, mean I can't
play clever games with words.

How I"d write it (feel free to ignore me)

LETTER OF RESIGNATION

Dear XXXXX

I regret having to inform you of my resignation [this isn't a lie -
you'd prefer to tell them to stick it up their *****]. I have been
offered a position [don't call it a job] in web archetecture which,
as you know, is my first career choice.

Because of the pressing needs of my new employer, I can only offer
you one week's notice, but am willing to help [ie, I am not going to
do it myself, but will help someone else] make the transition as
smooth and easy as possible.

Thank you for making my working experience here interesting [in a
Chinese Curse sort of sense] and I appreciate the oppurtunities to
learn [that I can't stand doing this] and develop [a hatred for you]
that this company has given me.

Wishing the company success and posperity,

Catnipped.

Hope that helps,

Yowie

I love the Chinese curse part! Ah yes, may you live in "interesting times"

Jill