Sad bitty news

Old July 1st 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Sad bitty news

On Jun 30, 1:10 pm, wrote:

I have to admit that I'm very suspicious about this. How do we know
for sure that Rosie was really put down? I mean, they thwarted her every
effort to witness the euthanasia or see the body afterward. And we know
that the other doctor in this practice likes to experiment... I find it
creepy.

Maybe I didn't get that across properly as regards the other vet.

She trusts the other vet totally and only uses the practice for this
one vet whom she knows would not have done things so badly and she has
complained to him but this was an emergency and the vet wasn't on duty

This is the vet that likes to experiment or improve his skills and
when he saved the other cats leg, he did it with her consent he told
her he wanted to try microsurgery as he hadn't done it before but that
he would put the cat under anaesthesia and see what he could do ,
assuring her if he felt unsafe to proceed he would then amputate the
leg. He then went ahead and saved the leg and charged her £200 for the
surgery and all the aftercare for which she is grateful (it runs in
her family i think she told me yesterday her dad just paid £1,000 for
surgery to his 10-year old terrier dog rather than having him put to
sleep because "He's family") after all her vet bills must be huge

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old July 1st 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

That sounds really creepy. Our vet charged 38 pounds to euthanize
Ishmael a few months ago, we held him while she was doing it, and
we took him back home straight away. This is not a vet known for
being cheap.

I have NEVER encountered a vet who would not allow the
animal's person to be present (often holding it), when a
loved pet had to be euthanized! (I never had any place to
bury the remains, but there would have been no problem if I
had requested them.) Of course, I have always insisted on
taking the cat to its usual vet - which meant traveling all
the way from North Hollywood to Pasadena, when Sir Thomas
had to be sent RB.
Old July 1st 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

On Jun 30, 1:10 pm, wrote:

This is the vet that likes to experiment or improve his skills and
when he saved the other cats leg, he did it with her consent he told
her he wanted to try microsurgery as he hadn't done it before but that
he would put the cat under anaesthesia and see what he could do ,
assuring her if he felt unsafe to proceed he would then amputate the
leg. He then went ahead and saved the leg and charged her ?200 for the
surgery and all the aftercare for which she is grateful

Is that a low fee? I don't know what vet fees are like in your neck of
the woods.

Joyce
Old July 1st 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
the vet told her to go and they would put Rosie to sleep later and
she said she wanted to be there and this vet would not have it!!!
As she said you don't really think straight at the time- so in the
end, she got an agreement that Rosie would be taken over the Bridge
there and then but she wouldn't be there she would wait outside- the
vet said that she was so upset she might upset Rosie.
Then the vet wouldn't let her take Rosie and said it would cost £100
for a box to take Rosie home as she said "I have duties to my other
cats even like food and bills" and through she wanted to take Rosie
and bury her in the garden with her other cats she left her and felt
so bad about it
Then 3 days later she got a condolance card with a bill for £75. for
Rosie's cremation

That sounds really creepy. Our vet charged 38 pounds to euthanize
Ishmael a few months ago, we held him while she was doing it, and
we took him back home straight away. This is not a vet known for
being cheap.

Something is really not right with a control-freak price-gouging
practice like you're describing. I would get them investigated.

The more I think about it, the more I don't like it. Even if the owner was
upset and crying it is still better for them to be held by their owner who
they love rather than being left alone - and it *is* alone if everyone in
the room is a stranger.
I would be suspicious. I would want to see the "£100 box" that is
apparently essential too. What is it, an oak coffin or something?

I am very lucky with my vets. I have been going there since I was a child
with my first rabbit, although the first and only vet then is long gone to
RB. It is now a veterinary hospital and has moved a bit further away. It's
worth the journey. There was always a 24/7 -365/12 service right from the
start.

It's not cheap. However if I phoned up now (10.30 pm) for an emergency
situation with Kitty or Boyfie and I had no transport, I would get a home
visit. It would cost a lot, but that option is there from my own vets, not
an emergency service.

As for the situation described by Lesley, it would never happen. It really
does need looking into. I'm appalled by it. It's been on my mind since I
read her post.

Tweed

Old July 2nd 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I have NEVER encountered a vet who would not allow the animal's person
to be present (often holding it), when a loved pet had to be euthanized!

I just had a disturbing thought about this. Marion's kids used to have
rats. Most vets treated them like any other pet, but one vet they used
saw them as just vermin. When one needed to be put to sleep, this vet
tried VERY hard to be allowed to just take it out the back and make it
disappear. What Marion and her kids figured out was that he was just
going to belt it with a hammer or wring its neck, that being cheaper
than drugs.

Old July 2nd 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

She's been consistently excellent with my cats including giving me
over the phone advice free of charge and I trust her totally. I only
go there because of her and should she ever move practices I would go
with her (Within reason, she's from Australia so if she ever went
home.....)

I dread having to use an emergency vet////

I have to confess to being the pet-owner from hell. It took me 2 years
to find a vet I was happy with in Cardiff and fortunately he is very
good at explaining things in depth as well as being very compassionate
and kind. The kids vet in London when we lived there, became a close
friend and treated them like royalty, and I was still the owner from
hell. When I was in America, I was horrendous. They don't let you hold
your own animals for treatment there and often take them out of the
exam room into the prep area for procedures. Suffice to say, I
scotched *that* idea on the head PDQ and supervised any routine
treatment by making the vet do it in the exam room in front of me.

I'm not proud of my "neurosis" with vets, but I do question
*everything*. Ever since I had a *VERY* near miss when a young and
incompetent locum vet demanded that he wanted to put my beloved
*healthy* cat Daisy to sleep in 1993 because she tested positive for
FeLV on a snap test after my other cat was PTS because of FeLV (she
was very ill). I refused point blank and got her retested and it
turned out that she wasn't FeLV +ve at all. She managed to live for 12
years after that.

Fortunately the ER vets in Cardiff are pretty good. There are only 2
practices that have an ER facility. One is the large mixed practice
where my dogs are registered, and the other is a designated ER
hospital that deals with out of hours for every single other vet in
Cardiff.

Helen M

Old July 2nd 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I don't like it. Even if the owner was
upset and crying it is still better for them to be held by their owner who
they love rather than being left alone - and it *is* alone if everyone in
the room is a stranger.
I would be suspicious. I would want to see the "£100 box" that is
apparently essential too. What is it, an oak coffin or something?

A friend of mine (who owned her own home) had to have a
couple of pets PTS, and took them home for burial - an empty
shoe box worked very well! (Both were buried under her rose
bushes.)