[OT] The Oscar Contenders

Old March 7th 05, 04:48 PM
CatNipped

Default [OT] The Oscar Contenders

I like to see all the movies nominated for Oscars if they look at all
interesting and here's my take on this year's nominees:

"Sideways" - didn't see this one yet.
"The Aviator" - it was enjoyable, but not remarkable - a bit too long. I
agree that Cate Blanchett should have gotten the Oscar for supporting
actress, she really portrayed Katherine Hepburn (my favorite actress of all
time) very well. But Leonardo DiCaprio just always acts like Leonardo
DiCaprio to me, he doesn't "get into" the character, he just plays the same
character in each movie he's in.
"Finding Neverland" - I liked it, it was an old-fashioned tear jerker, but
was not best picture.
"Million Dollar Baby" - it was OK, but I don't particularly like boxing
pictures and the ending was *SO* depressing it left me feeling really down
for quite some time afterwards. I wouldn't have voted for this as best
picture.
"Ray" - *EXCELLENT* job by Jamie Fox, he really deserved the Oscar he got.
It was a very gritty, realistic portrayal of a pop legend. The music was
great (Jamie Fox is a classical pianist and also sounds very much like Ray
Charles), the acting as mentioned was fantastic, the script was very well
done, the cinematography was great, and it was a very uplifting film. I
would have given "Best Picture" award to this one over "Million Dollar
Baby".

So, what's your take on this year's nominees / winners?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 7th 05, 04:59 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-07, CatNipped penned:
[...]

I have no take, but it's startling to realize that I haven't seen any of thse
movies, and only recognize one ("Ray") from the ads.

I knew I hadn't watched many movies in the theater this year, but wow.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 7th 05, 05:12 PM
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
"Sideways" - didn't see this one yet.

I loved the movie but hated the two male leads.

"The Aviator" - it was enjoyable, but not remarkable - a bit too long. I
"Finding Neverland" - I liked it, it was an old-fashioned tear jerker, but
"Million Dollar Baby" - it was OK, but I don't particularly like boxing
"Ray" - *EXCELLENT* job by Jamie Fox, he really deserved the Oscar he got.

Haven't seen any of these...

This weekend I'll be going to see "The Sea Inside", which won the best
foreign film award.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 7th 05, 05:14 PM
Karen

The only one I got to see so far is Sideways and I found it extremely
enjoyable. It was like peeking into someones life at the most interesting
point. YOu don't necessarily like the main characters, but it is a real
ride. And you really, really want a very nice meal and a glass of good wine
after it. Very funny (I thought anyway).

Old March 7th 05, 05:35 PM
Karen

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"Sideways" - didn't see this one yet.

I loved the movie but hated the two male leads.

"The Aviator" - it was enjoyable, but not remarkable - a bit too long.

"Finding Neverland" - I liked it, it was an old-fashioned tear jerker,

but
"Million Dollar Baby" - it was OK, but I don't particularly like boxing
"Ray" - *EXCELLENT* job by Jamie Fox, he really deserved the Oscar he

got.
Haven't seen any of these...

This weekend I'll be going to see "The Sea Inside", which won the best
foreign film award.

Ohh. Please let us know how it is. It looks VERY interesting.

Old March 7th 05, 05:55 PM
Shiral

I saw Finding Neverland, and enjoyed it, but felt no compelling need
to see it again. My dad saw it on a night when his hearing aid was not
functioning right, and his version of the movie was actually pretty
funny. He somehow saw Kate Winslet as Swedish Valkyrie (Casting type,
not really her role in the film), and was astonished when she died of
consumption at the end.

I originally thought Johnny Depp was a flash in the pan and would not
last, but I've liked him more and more in each movie. I enjoyed the
way he interacted with the children in Finding Neverland. He could
play with them, but could also be a responsible adult in their lives.
Depp doesn't just play himself each time, but creates a new character.

Haven't seen The Aviator. Maybe because I've never particularly liked
Leonardo Di Caprio. Don't think he's a good actor, and don't think
he's all that great looking, either.

Haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, and don't plan to. After seeing the
first Rocky movie, I vowed I'd never knowingly see another movie about
boxing, which I've pretty much kept. I just can't get into a sport in
which the whole point is to purposefully hurt one's opponent.

I've seen Sideways, and once was enough for that one, too. I thought
it was well acted, but I didn't particularly like the characters of the
two lead actors. I wouldn't want to spend a week with either of them!
I thought one of them in particular was an absolute sleazebag.

Melissa

Old March 7th 05, 06:10 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:48:09 -0600, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

I like to see all the movies nominated for Oscars if they look at all
interesting and here's my take on this year's nominees:

"Sideways" - didn't see this one yet.
"The Aviator" - it was enjoyable, but not remarkable - a bit too long. I
agree that Cate Blanchett should have gotten the Oscar for supporting
actress, she really portrayed Katherine Hepburn (my favorite actress of all
time) very well. But Leonardo DiCaprio just always acts like Leonardo
DiCaprio to me, he doesn't "get into" the character, he just plays the same
character in each movie he's in.

Oh baby, I hear you! I don't get the whole "Leo"
phenomenon, either. He just looks like a fat-faced little kid to me.
I completely don't get this schoolgirl crush Scorsese seems to have on
him. :P

Theresa