[ot] Kentucky Derby

Old May 4th 05, 05:26 AM
Jeanne Hedge

Default [ot] Kentucky Derby

I haven't paid much attention to this year's Kentucky Derby horses, so
don't know much about them. I drew a horse named High Fly in a local
Derby pool. All I know about him is that Zito is the trainer and Jerry
Bailey will be up. Horse racing fans, what are your opinions? Do I
have a chance?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old May 4th 05, 01:10 PM
Karen

in article , Jeanne Hedge at
wrote on 5/3/05 11:26 PM:

I haven't paid much attention to this year's Kentucky Derby horses, so
don't know much about them. I drew a horse named High Fly in a local
Derby pool. All I know about him is that Zito is the trainer and Jerry
Bailey will be up. Horse racing fans, what are your opinions? Do I
have a chance?

High Fly is a very nice horse. He will have a good price because this year
is a deep field. My Derby choices in order are Afleet Alex/Bellamy
Road/Bandini/Wilko/High Fly/High Limit/Sun King/ and then the rest. (Wilko
and High Fly should *probably* be reversed on speed numbers, but I just have
a bit of a thing for little Wilko) Bellamy Road *appears* after his last
race to be a total monster of a horse, but Afleet Alex has way more
experience and has always been 1st or 2nd throughought his 2 and 3 year old
years (so far) except for one race in which he finished last and was found
to have a lung infection. I have a personal interest in that horse in that
he is owned by new owners, he's got a sweet persoanlity, a percentage of his
wins always go to Alex's Lemonade Stand, the childrens cancer charity begun
by little Alex Scott and well, he's pretty amazing. Bellamy has won by huge
lengths in his last two races, but has never been in a big field like the
Kentucky Derby, whereas Alex has. Alex, High Fly and Wilko are gutsy and
tough. They all have a wonderful ability to just hang in there. They tough
it out and they do NOT throw in the towel. The nice thing about getting High
Fly for your horse is that in the Kentucky Derby, luck is a much bigger
factor than a lot of races so, that, plus High Fly's decent amount of talent
give him a good chance of hitting the board. Having Jerry Bailey doesn't
hurt either. He is definitely on of the top six or seven out of the 20 horse
field, but Bellamy, Bandini and Alex will take all the money. Leaving
everyone else at big odds.

I'm just SOOOO excited. I've been churning since Sunday. Post position draws
are this afternoon. Of course, drawing a far outside post for anyone is
going to somewhat change the chances. I'd say it's best to have anything
between 5 and 9. It will be on ESPN today at 4-5pm Central time on ESPN.
It's going to be a GOOD Kentucky Derby. Friday is the girls turn with the
Kentucky Oaks, so if you are home, be sure to watch the races! It's the one
time of year when we get racing on TV!!

Old May 4th 05, 01:32 PM
Karen

Oh! BTW, Good Luck!! High Fly is a very nice horse. Stick with him in future
races for sure. He's a tough little bugger.

Old May 4th 05, 11:52 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:32:28 -0500, Karen wrote:

Oh! BTW, Good Luck!! High Fly is a very nice horse. Stick with him in future
races for sure. He's a tough little bugger.

I'd figured he wasn't a bad horse, with Bailey signing to ride him,
but didn't realize he was one of the few who have a chance to win this
thing. I'm certainly glad he's not a favorite - everyone knows
favorites have a tough time winning this race.

They've announced the initial line and post positions. High Fly is
breaking from position 6 (a good place to be), and is a 12-1 co-5th
choice (out of 20). I do have my doubts about the initial line -
according to the report I heard, the other 12-1 horse hasn't won a
stakes race, while the Wood winner is a 20-1 shot!

Steinbrenner's horse is the favorite. I fear George may be in for
another let down. weg

Old May 8th 05, 06:29 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Sun, 08 May 2005 05:00:36 +0000, mlbriggs
wrote:

What a race! 50 / 1 . Beautiful horses today. MLB

Wow, was it ever! They called it a stampede at down the stretch the
first time, and I was sure the race caller for TV would be right when
he cried out (yards from the finish) that there was going to be a
3-way photo finish.

I live near Louisville, and was listening to the wrap up on local
radio in the car while running some errands after the race. The radio
guy was interviewing the Churchill Downs track announcer, who calls
the race at the track (different guy from the fellow who called the
race for the TV broadcast). To paraphrase:

Interviewer: I've sat next to you many times while you've called races
and even the Derby, and have never seen the look you had on your face
from the top of the stretch - a look that said "I can't believe what
I'm seeing!"

Race Caller: Well I couldn't!

Old May 8th 05, 07:28 AM
Yoj

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 04 May 2005 22:44:55 -0500, Karen wrote:

in article , Jeanne Hedge at
wrote on 5/4/05 5:52 PM:

On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:32:28 -0500, Karen wrote:

Oh! BTW, Good Luck!! High Fly is a very nice horse. Stick with him in
future races for sure. He's a tough little bugger.

I'd figured he wasn't a bad horse, with Bailey signing to ride him, but
didn't realize he was one of the few who have a chance to win this
thing. I'm certainly glad he's not a favorite - everyone knows

favorites
have a tough time winning this race.

They've announced the initial line and post positions. High Fly is
breaking from position 6 (a good place to be), and is a 12-1 co-5th
choice (out of 20). I do have my doubts about the initial line -
according to the report I heard, the other 12-1 horse hasn't won a
stakes race, while the Wood winner is a 20-1 shot!

Steinbrenner's horse is the favorite. I fear George may be in for
another let down. weg

I think so. Unless he is the second coming of Secretariat and I doubt
that. I'm so excited. It's getting close!! Yes, I would say High Fly
certainly has a chance. Just depends on how it all pans out. I'm rooting
for Afleet Alex like mad though. I cried and broke my glasses when he

won
the Arkansas Derby. I get a little excited about my horses.

What a race! 50 / 1 . Beautiful horses today. MLB

Yes, it was really exciting! I imagine the people who bet on Giacomo (I
think that's his name) are over the moon, especially if they made a large
bet. Naturally, the owners, trainer and jockey are thrilled too.

Joy

Old May 8th 05, 11:05 PM
Karen

in article , Yoj at

wrote on 5/4/05 5:52 PM:

[...]

Well, it was certainly exciting and quite an upset! But I was happy with
Alex and with Jeremy's ride. He was the only favorite who actually showed up
at the finish. Watching the overhead replay, I'm convinced that with less
traffic than a 20 horse calvary charge gives you, he would have had enough
to get up first. I talked to the people I know who are with his team and he
came out good. They are shipping him to Pimlico on Wednesday. The best news
is that Alex's Lemonade Stand, whom they support, raised a LOT of money.
People were dropping 100s in their jar. NBC did such a great piece on it
that the Lemonade stand will not be forgotten even though Alex Scott (the
little girl who started the charity) has passed away.

Giacomo had a great ride and good for the California contingent who was
definitely overlooked. I think we will see a larger than usual field for the
Preakness which is good for the race but it won't be a 20 horse melee like
the Derby! It's just amazing any of them come out whole. Very thrilling
visually though. I had a GREAT time. One of these days I will actually get
there.

Old May 9th 05, 12:10 AM
Jo Firey

"Karen" wrote in message

[...]

I could do without the huge field they are having with the Derby anymore.
Makes it more like a lottery than a horse race. It was interesting to watch
the footage in the replays. The press really needs to stop believing their
own b*lls%$t. They got very little footage of the actual winner. From what
I did see, the jockey did a really excellent job. And the horse looked to
have the stamina for the Belmont if he can take the Preakness. That's a big
if. There is always a short distance rocket around to take the Preakness
that can't last the Belmont.

Jo