My cat stopped Meowing??

Old June 20th 07, 06:50 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BaldoniXXV

Default My cat stopped Meowing??

It happens that William Graham formulated :
wrote in message
ups.com...
My cat, Sebastian, is an indoor/outdoor cat. He regularly plays
outside all day and comes in when he wants. But when I got home
today, Sebastian came inside with me and just opened his mouth like he
would when he would meow, but nothing came out. I've never seen him
do this before, usually he's fairly vocal. Its been a few hours now
and he still just acts like he wants to meow, but can't. I'm kind of
concerned, could he have gotten into something outside, or can cats
lose their voice like people do if he overused it while he was
outside? If anyone knows of anything, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

I'd take him to the vet and have him checked out....He could have some
foreign object caught in his throat, and if he does, it could be very painful
and become infected....cats don't have many ways to communicate their pain to
human beings....I have had them die without me knowing that there was
anything wrong with them until it was way too late.......

My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or
normal with some cats ?

--
Count Baldoni

BALDONI REX ROMANORUM

Old June 20th 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oldhickory

we have one that does not meow, also. She makes a squeaking, sort of a
peeping noise. Not common but not a worry. Sometimes amusing.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

Old June 20th 07, 08:04 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav oldhickory wrote:

we have one that does not meow, also. She makes a squeaking, sort of a
peeping noise. Not common but not a worry. Sometimes amusing.

If your cat has *never* meowed, then that's normal for her. But for
a cat to stop suddenly for no apparent reason *is* a cause for concern,
IMO. Any sudden change in normal behavior should be checked out. It
might be the only indication you get that something's not right.

Joyce
Old June 20th 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BaldoniXXV

oldhickory explained on 20/06/2007 :
we have one that does not meow, also. She makes a squeaking, sort of a
peeping noise. Not common but not a worry. Sometimes amusing.

One of my cats squeaks also but my mothers cat makes no sound at all.

He made a slight noise when going to the vets.

--
Count Baldoni

BALDONI REX ROMANORUM

Old June 20th 07, 08:24 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

wrote in message
[...]

Our feral male squeaks instead of meowing like normal cats do.....His name
is Smokey, but we sometimes call him "squeaker" because of the miniscule
sound he makes....This is probably an advantage to a male feral cat.....Less
chance that some irate redneck will shoot at him....So, I would guess that
it's not too uncommon. But if one of my cats suddenly came down with this
problem, I would take them to the vet muy pronto........

Old June 21st 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Hamblen

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:50:42 +0100, BaldoniXXV
wrote:

My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or
normal with some cats ?

Some cats hardly make a sound unless they are distressed or warning
off a strange cat.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old June 21st 07, 08:35 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Little Hawk

wrote:

My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or
normal with some cats ?

Some cats hardly make a sound unless they are distressed or warning
off a strange cat.

Bud

be thankful your cat does'nt meow, it can be annoying at times
i guess thats what you get when you spoil a four legged fur ball
Old June 21st 07, 02:13 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Professor

wrote:

My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or
normal with some cats ?

Some cats hardly make a sound unless they are distressed or warning
off a strange cat.

Bud

be thankful your cat does'nt meow, it can be annoying at times
i guess thats what you get when you spoil a four legged fur ball

Tell me about it. Our Oriental Shorthairs are bred from Siamese and they
yell at us every day.