TK's HCM - An Update

Old July 15th 05, 08:07 AM
Mary

Default TK's HCM - An Update

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message

We get the blood test results, tomorrow. Hopefully, the white
count will have moved more into the normal range.
But, right now, I would describe my feelings as "Cautiously
Thrilled".

This is great to hear. Kudos to you for all your good care!

Old July 15th 05, 12:27 PM
Karen

That is good to hear. Pearl was discovered to have Mitral Regurgitation. She
is on Enecard, lasix and a low dosage of prednisone for a cough. She is
finally perking up a bit. It really is awful when you know there is
something amiss with their heart. I know that I have found I just have to
take it one day at a time and be happy with how each day goes. I'm glad to
hear TK is doing better.

Old July 16th 05, 04:22 AM
Phil P.

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message

Well TK's been on the diltiazem for 2 months, now, after
being diagnosed with HCM. At that time, his heart murmur
was rated a 3 - 4. He needed some bloodwork, today, to
check the white count which was low normal a little over a
month ago and we decided, all things considered, to opt
for a full physical instead of just going in and having a
tech draw the blood.
When the vet listened to his heart, she was taking an abnormally
long time and then said "I'm going to get the electronic
stethoscope" and darted out of the room. My wife and
I just looked at each other thinking "Uh-oh, this may not
be good."

I think it means the murmur was *so faint* she could hardly hear it with an
acoustic
steth!

The vet came back in with the new stethoscope
and listened, again, for an abnormally long time.
Then the result....."I can't hear any murmur on the left side.
There's a little noise on the right side, but I would barely
rate it a 1".
We both let out a sigh of relief.
The vet stressed the fact that you can only tell so much
by listening and TK's current condition MAY NOT be as
good as it might seem. But she did say that it's a pretty
safe guess to say that his condition has not significantly
deteriorated.
So, it seems like the medication is helping. If nothing else,
the diltiazem seems to be relaxing the heart muscle and
getting it to pump more normally.

I think the diltiazem is doing more than that! I think it might be reducing
hyperthrophy. Murmurs in cats with HCM usually develop because the
hypertrophied left ventricular walls interfere with the chordae tendinae or
valve leaflets. So, my guess is the murmur disappeared or diminished
because the hypertrophy is diminishing. Diltiazem is known for reducing
hypertrophy and left atrial dimensions in cats.

And I thought I was noticing that he had a bit more energy,
lately.
We get the blood test results, tomorrow. Hopefully, the white
count will have moved more into the normal range.
But, right now, I would describe my feelings as "Cautiously
Thrilled".

So am I!

My thanks to everyone who has offered their good wishes
in the past.
And a special Thank You to Phil P, , who went well out of his way
to help this ol' bonehead get a much better understanding of
Tk's situation.

Thank you for the update! You sure made my day!

Keep the faith!

Best of luck,

Phil

Old July 16th 05, 09:26 PM
Karen

in article , Nomen Nescio at

OneTrueHome update Harri Cat community 8 November 27th 04 01:03 AM
Latest Crackles Update (appt moved up) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 12th 04 01:37 PM
Update on Tiffany & New Pictures. Flippy Cat anecdotes 21 February 1st 04 05:52 PM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 11:01 AM
Natasha Update Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 14 August 22nd 03 06:30 PM