How much food do you give your cats?

Old August 8th 03, 07:58 PM
Ellie Pea

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 03:41:58 GMT, Mr B wrote:

Howdy,

We have 3 cats and all are pretty damn HUGE. We feed them a mix of Purina Cat Chow and Science Diet
Light Hairball food. We just dump them in a big container and mix them up and scoop some out for
them.

We used to just use a feeder where we filled it up and as they ate, more came out. THen I read
somewhere that most cats eat around 1 cup of food per day. So, we switched to giving them 1/2 cup
of food per cat in the morning, and again at night (1 cup each total). Didn't notice much change.
So I've changed to 1/3 of cup per cat twice a day (2/3 cup total). We'll see if that helps.

They are totally indoor cats. Don't get much exercise except when they decide to chase each other
around. Should I cut back even more? Just wondering how much others feed their cats.

How many ounces or grams in a cup??
I've just come back from the vet's today after having a weigh-in for my
overweight moggie. In January this year, at just over 2 years old, she was
6.24kg, that's about 13 and 3/4 lbs and I must admit..she was FAT!!!

Today she weighed in at 5.93kg, just over 13 lbs and her target weight is
5kg. Yeaaaahhhh she's lost 300g in 7 months....apparantly a respectable
rate of weight loss!

She is currently getting 45/50g a day of Friskies Vital Balance Light (a
Purina brand???) It's 11% fat, slightly lower than IAMS but not as low as
Hills.

But the point of my rambling post ) Is that her weight was detrimental to
her health. She has a knee problem with her hind legs. At 1 year old she
had an op on the worst leg and it's been successful. The weight she put on
in the next year was putting strain on the other leg but the vet says, if
she gets her weight down, gets fit and tightens up the musles in her legs
she may not need another op.

The vet also told me today that obesity in cats can be a sympton of thyroid
problems but reckons my cat is just a porker )

You're obviously worried about your cats' size or you wouldn't be asking
the question ) I'd go back to your vet, tell them you are worried and
ask for their advice regarding a weight loss program. You've taken the
right step in stopping free feeding them and switching to light food and if
your cats are not active outdoor cats you need to give them much less than
the packets suggests and play with them. A piece of string with a feather
on the end is like the cat equivelent to a gym )

Lindsey
Old August 9th 03, 06:54 AM
Sharon

| Brandy - I was just wondering why Kami gets canned food in addition
| to her dry.

Kami has CRF, and needs all the moisture she can get. Brandy is doing
the right thing to minimize her dry food intake.

Wasn't criticizing, just curious.

-Sharon

Old August 9th 03, 06:54 AM
Sharon

Old August 9th 03, 07:14 AM
Sharon

Couldn't turn my back on her while walking. Then she went and beat the
crap out of her rattle ball.

You're a good "mom"! You know the saying: Cats don't have owners, they have
staff!

-Sharon

Old August 16th 03, 02:22 AM
MaryL

"Alison Smiley Perera" wrote in message

I also try to engage them in interactive games with my Cat Charmer (long
piece of fabric on a stick for dangling and chasing) for exercise
purposes.

-Alison in OH

You might also like to try a laser pointer. They are great for both fun and
exercise.

MaryL