Feline Parvo

Old November 8th 03, 10:49 PM
rose ricciuto

Default Feline Parvo

There has been a large outbreak of what the media is labeling feline
parvo virus at the Polk County animal shelter in central Florida.
I've never heard of feline parvo but they say it's incredibly contagious
and very deadly in a short span of time. The newswoman covering the
story for TV was advised to wash her clothing in hot water, sterilize
her shoes and thoroughly shower before going home to her cats after
walking thru the shelter.
Does anyone have any info on this virus? I live in Polk county, have 3
rescued ferals at home but there are ferals in the area and I'm worried
about inadvertently bringing the virus home on shoes and/or clothing.
Appreciate any help or info anyone can offer. I'm calling the vet on
Monday!

Old November 10th 03, 02:43 AM
Lisa

http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/m...ARTICLEID=1680
Distemper Disaster: Vetcentric.com

http://www.vetcentric.com/reference/...N=EncycIllness
Distemper Virus, Feline (Feline Panleukopenia): VetCentric
Encyclopedia

http://mesavet.com/library/felinedistemper.htm Feline Distemper
(Panleukopenia)
www.drpetra.com/Cats/Panleukopenia%20(Distemper)%20in%20Cats.htm
Feline (Distemper) Panleukopenia

http://www.allanimal.com/hospital/in...distemper.html
Feline (Distemper) Panleukopenia: VetTalk

http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/a...h/feline.asp#4
Feline Panleukopenia

www.21cats.org/health/fp.html Feline Panleukopenia

www.avma.org/care4pets/felhpanl.htm Feline Panleukopenia (Distemper)

www.thecatsite.com/health/pan.html Feline Panleukopenia (Cats'
Distemper)

www.pettribune.com/1999/032099/catsmeow.html Feline Panleukopenia,
Distemper or Parvo?: The Pet Tribune

www.petplace.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=1780 Feline Panleukopenia:
PetPlace.com

www.tica.org/vet/vet28.htm Feline Panleukopenia (TICA: Veterinarian
Column)

http://duke.usask.ca/~misra/virology...3/cat/FPV.html Feline
Panleukopenia Virus: Western CVM: University of Saskatchewan

http://duke.usask.ca/~misra/virology...eukopenia.html
Feline Panleukopenia: Western CVM: University of Saskatchewan

www.gla.ac.uk/companion/ofelineparvo.htm Feline Parvovirus: Companion
Animal Diagnostics: University of Glasgow: Companion Animal
Diagnostics Veterinary Laboratory

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/heal...eukopenia.html Feline Upper
Respiratory Viruses Part III: Panleukopenia

www.pettribune.com/1999/070599/catsmeow.html Is Your Cat at Risk for
Kennel Cough? ?: The Pet Tribune

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=222 Panleukopenia (Feline
Distemper)

www.tica.org/vet/vet5.htm Panleukopenia (TICA: Veterinarian Column)

www.tica.org/vet/vet240.htm Panleukopenia I (TICA: Veterinarian
Column)

http://duke.usask.ca/~misra/virology...euk%20cat.html
Panleukopenia virus (Parvovirus): Western CVM: University of
Saskatchewan

Old November 10th 03, 03:17 PM
rose ricciuto

Thank you so much Lisa! I found the articles and sites very helpful and
full of information. Of course my cats are vaccinated for distemper but
the media never mentioned it by that name - only calling it feline
parvo. Since we lost a dog to parvo many years ago I'm well aware of the
horror of that particular disease. Feeling much more reassured now that
I know what it is.
Thanks again!
Rose