cat wakes up meowing

Old February 1st 05, 03:50 AM
Elizabeth Blake

Default cat wakes up meowing

My female cat Tiger, who is almost 15 years old, has never been a very vocal
cat. Recently, she'll be off sleeping somewhere and I'll hear her meowing.
She'll continue talking until she finds me. Several times when this has
happened we were both in the living room. She was asleep on the couch when
I heard her meow, but she still had her eyes closed and was all curled up.
After a couple of meows, she'd open her eyes, sit up and then come to me.
The first time she did this was maybe two years ago. She did it a couple of
times since then, but as of last week she's been doing it almost every day.
This morning I woke up to her meowing in my room.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her, and once she sees me she
stops. Is she just having bad kitty dreams and needs some reassurance that
she's okay? I think she's now taking advantage of it, because she knows I'm
going to pick her up & cuddle her.

--
Liz

Old February 1st 05, 04:01 AM
MaryL

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Please have your cat checked for possible thyroid problems. Hyperthyroidism
is common in older cats, and one of the signs is increased meowing.
Agitation is another sign. It is easily treated.

MaryL

Old February 1st 05, 07:08 AM
Gary

My cat does this all the time. She'll be sleeping somewhere and all of
a sudden appears and is talking up a storm. She's 16 years old and has
done this for years. She also has similar behavior when she comes in
from outside. I always chalked it up to her telling me what she's been
doing (or dreaming). Nevertheless, since you are describing this as a
new behavior, it might warrant a consult with your vet.
Gary

Old February 1st 05, 12:53 PM
MaryL

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On 31 Jan 2005 23:08:23 -0800, "Gary" wrote:

Same here. Maynard is 18, and while he has always been a talker, he
has done this bellowing around the house for the past couple years. I
think part of it is just senility. He wakes and gets lost. Or he wants
to know where I am before he actually makes the effort to come find
me.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography

Have you had Maynard tested for hyperthyroidism? What is often mistaken for
senility can actually be a sign of thyroid malfunction (which can be
treated). This is common in geriatric cats.

MaryL

Old February 1st 05, 06:10 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On 31 Jan 2005 23:08:23 -0800, "Gary" wrote:

My cat does this all the time. She'll be sleeping somewhere and all of
a sudden appears and is talking up a storm. She's 16 years old and has
done this for years. She also has similar behavior when she comes in
from outside. I always chalked it up to her telling me what she's been
doing (or dreaming). Nevertheless, since you are describing this as a
new behavior, it might warrant a consult with your vet.
Gary

Same here. Maynard is 18, and while he has always been a talker, he
has done this bellowing around the house for the past couple years. I
think part of it is just senility. He wakes and gets lost. Or he wants
to know where I am before he actually makes the effort to come find
me.

Meghan, this is a great description of why I think Gnarly did it. Old
cats, like some old people, become sort of child-like, whiny, and
demanding. It's endearing if you love them!

Old February 2nd 05, 12:45 AM

Yes, they did a full workup on him. They
were concerned about him being
underweight at the time. They didn't find
anything wrong at all.

When? Things can change in as little as a month or two. Also, a blood
panel does not include a hyroid test. The thyroid test is separate and
is not done automatically.
As an aside, I just spoke with a woman who has a cat that's drinking a
lot of water. She says the bloodwork came back fine and showed no
problems. I never take anything at face value and asked when the
bloodwork was done. Well, it was a year and a half agocringe. This is
why I always ask for clarification.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old February 2nd 05, 01:01 AM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 06:53:31 -0600, "MaryL"

This morning, he got about 2 feet from my face (in bed), and let out
one of his loudest bellows. Honestly, i don't sleep that hard. As soon
as I woke up, he quit. Just wanted to snuggle.

He sounds adorable.

Old February 2nd 05, 01:02 AM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote

Yes. He's old and has arthritis. So, why go searching when you don't

have to? It's kind of like Marco Polo.

Ha! Yes, I imagine it is!

Old February 2nd 05, 04:39 AM
Elizabeth Blake

Please have your cat checked for possible thyroid problems.

Hyperthyroidism
is common in older cats, and one of the signs is increased meowing.
Agitation is another sign. It is easily treated.

MaryL

She was just at the vet in October. All of her blood tests came back
perfectly normal.

She doesn't meow constantly. She'll just be asleep, then start meowing.
Once she finds me, she stops. Her new thing is to come into the bedroom and
meow, and I'm pretty sure that's just for attention. My bed is pretty high
and it's getting harder & harder for her to jump onto it. I know they make
cat steps and I will get them eventually, but right now I can't take off an
entire day from work to wait for a delivery. Anyway, she knows that if she
keeps meowing I'll wake up and pick her up so she can get on the bed. She
did that this morning, and that was the only meowing today. Lately she's
been wanting more & more attention. She would likie to be in my lap at all
times, even when I'm sitting on the toilet. I think the meowing is for
attention, but I just thought it was weird that she would sometimes start it
while she still seemed to be asleep.

--
Liz