RECALL OF PET FOODS REACHES EUROPE (ALREADY!!)

Old May 3rd 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default RECALL OF PET FOODS REACHES EUROPE (ALREADY!!)

One thing that I didn't think about until today, is the fact that we
happen to have quite a few USAF sites around here, as well as
logistics support sites and troops barracks too. On all of the bases
they have a shop of some description (Commissaries?) where they sell
all of the foods that have mentioned in all of the lists that you have
all been posting on here too, so I guess without even thinking about
it, of course it affects us in Europe too.!!

I don't want to get drawn into the ethics of this, but I know of quite
a few families that ask USAF personnel to purchase dog and cat foods
for them @ a very reduced cost compared to our prices, so they are
getting a damned good deal for their money, & the UK purchaser's are
giving them incentives to buy this food for them... so it's an all win
situation for the people concerned....until they get caught!!

(The personnel shouldn't buy it for others, but it is a fact of life
that people do break rules for whatever incentives are offered)

I happen to work part time occasionally on one of the bases & I asked
several of the purchasers if they knew that some of the food that they
were buying was on a recall list in the USA, & not a single one of
them had any idea that they were on the recall list. This makes me
wonder just how far this food has traveled into Europe and where to,
too. It also begs the question, will we ever find out exactly how many
deaths have occurred due to tainted food? Or how widespread the
problem is in reality..??!

I think we should be told far more than we have been, & to my
knowledge there has not been a single reference to it in our
newspapers or T.V either.
It's a terrible situation & a complete shambles...No one seems to know
anything.. the personnelle don't seem to have any idea of the the
recall lists, & the Brits who are buying this contraband haven't got a
clue about this either..
Not one single person I asked about this today, knew a thing about any
of it...Shame on us for not asking more questions about it & demanding
answers too!!

Sheelagh

Old May 4th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 3 May, 19:29, sheelagh wrote:
[...]

Yet another reason why I make my own cat food.

I can understand why people buy their pets food from there, but look @
the potential trouble this could cause. The USAF who sold the cat
foods could come forward and tell the truth because their cat is
desperately ill, which would possibly be the end of that serviceman/
woman's career. Or even worse, the person purchasing it from the USAF
personnelle could come forward, landing them straight in the bear pit
for doing them a supposed favour for a good friend!

Or Worse, they may have no idea at all as to why their beloved cat or
dog died, simply for a crate of cheap food.
Dreadful when you consider those aspects, & take them both into
consideration, isn't it?
K.

Old May 4th 07, 08:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, sheelagh exclaimed (04-May-07 3:59 AM):
I think we should be told far more than we have been, & to my
knowledge there has not been a single reference to it in our
newspapers or T.V either.
It's a terrible situation & a complete shambles...No one seems to know
anything.. the personnel don't seem to have any idea of the the
recall lists, & the Brits who are buying this contraband haven't got a
clue about this either..
Not one single person I asked about this today, knew a thing about any
of it...Shame on us for not asking more questions about it & demanding
answers too!!

Sheelagh

No mention, except for one short news spot weeks ago, here in Australia
either. The one thing you're forgetting, is you don't have to buy food
from a Commissary to purchase US-brand catfoods. Look closely at your
Iams and Hills packaging - probably says "manufactured in the USA".
Here, Fancy Feast, Iams, Royal Canin, and other brands all have this
branding.

I'm aware of the recall, but the vast majority of Australians are not.
Was just talking to the checkout lady at the grocery store, pretty sure
the first thing she's going to do after work is go to petconnection.com
and make sure the large quantity of "fancy" food she just bought for her
cat isn't on the recall list.

Fortunately, 'pet mince' is easy to buy here - pet mince is a
prepackaged raw meat diet for your pet (you can cook it if that's what
your pet wants). Meep generally won't touch meat, but I'm trying again
to get her to eat the pet mince. Got her something with kangaroo - the
only natural meet she's ever showed an interest in - and liver, her
favorite canned food flavor.

Wish me luck! I've had next to none getting her to eat a wet diet, and
since all dry foods do have the added grains (seems to be mostly corn
gluten for Aussie brands), I'm even more worried about her eating mostly
dry food.

And what I want to know is: What other countries are buying this
adulterated 'protein sources' from China? I find it hard to believe
that ONLY the US has been buying this stuff...

jmc
Old May 4th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 May, 08:52, jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, sheelagh exclaimed (04-May-07 3:59 AM): I think we should be told far more than we have been, & to my
[...]

Indeed I do wish you the best of luck there. I have been following the
trials and tribulations of Meep recently. I hope that you can get her
to eat it too....
Best Wishes,
S;o)

Old May 4th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Prune the Shrub

On May 3, 2:29 pm, sheelagh wrote:
[...]

The tainted pet food was feed to pigs, chickens, and beef intented for
human consumption. The US government says not to worry, no one has
died yet, that we know of.

http://www.cafepress.com/bush_doggers?pid=2794571

Old May 5th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, sheelagh exclaimed (04-May-07 9:38 PM):
On 4 May, 08:52, jmc wrote:
Meep generally won't touch meat, but I'm trying again
to get her to eat the pet mince. Got her something with kangaroo - the
only natural meet she's ever showed an interest in - and liver, her
favorite canned food flavor.

jmc

Indeed I do wish you the best of luck there. I have been following the
trials and tribulations of Meep recently. I hope that you can get her
to eat it too....
Best Wishes,
S;o)

So far, a dismal failure. Mixed a bit raw with her favorite canned
food, all the canned was gone, but the meat was still where it was left.
I'll try cooking some and see if that's more palatable.

Silly kitty. She's cost me more in catfood, I think, than in vet bills...

(no, not really but feels like it sometimes)

jmc
Old May 5th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 May, 08:52, jmc wrote:
Meep generally won't touch meat, but I'm trying again
to get her to eat the pet mince. Got her something with kangaroo - the
only natural meet she's ever showed an interest in - and liver, her
favorite canned food flavor.

jmc

Indeed I do wish you the best of luck there. I have been following the
trials and tribulations of Meep recently. I hope that you can get her
to eat it too....
Best Wishes,
S;o)

So far, a dismal failure. Mixed a bit raw with her favorite canned
food, all the canned was gone, but the meat was still where it was left.
I'll try cooking some and see if that's more palatable.

Silly kitty. She's cost me more in catfood, I think, than in vet bills...

(no, not really but feels like it sometimes)

jmc

LOL, I know what you mean...
some darned Pussy cats just don't know whats good for them. Like
children, they have rebelious natures & ways of holding us to ransom,
don't they?
S;o)

Old May 5th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 May, 15:42, Prune the Shrub wrote:
[...]

------------------------------------------------http://www.cafepress.com/bush_doggers?pid=2794571- Hide quoted text -

Rather like the British government when they told us that there was no
need to fear British Beef during the Mad Cow Disease controversy. How
high handed of the government to reassure you that no one has
died....YET!

On the contrary, all the more reason to find out..& how long will that
take, & how many people would have been affected by the time they dig
them to the surface?
People should and do make the decision to abstain from eating meat
that they feel could possibly be tainted, so why should we feel
differently about our cats food?
You can't give Turkey away in the UK presently, because of the Bernard
Matthew's avian flu outbreak recently here.

No doubt every single cat food manufacturer are buying up all of this
cheap meat all ready to feed to our cats instead of us...as bad as the
governments trying to keep lids on the stories really!
Cynical, but no doubt true ......
S;o)

Old May 8th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, sheelagh exclaimed (06-May-07 1:28 AM):

On 4 May, 08:52, jmc wrote:

Silly kitty. She's cost me more in catfood, I think, than in vet bills...

(no, not really but feels like it sometimes)

jmc

LOL, I know what you mean...
some darned Pussy cats just don't know whats good for them. Like
children, they have rebelious natures & ways of holding us to ransom,
don't they?
S;o)

yabbut, with a kid you can say "eat your vegetables or you won't get any
dessert".

I've tried telling Meep that if she eats the nice raw meat, I'll give
her a Greenie (favorite treat). Hasn't worked, so far.

I just wish it was safe to wait her out. Feed her only wet food, every
night, until she's hungry enough to eat it, and get used to the idea
that this is the food she's going to get now. I worry about fatty
lipidosis though, so I haven't tried. Likely wouldn't work anyway.

Cats. Bah! g Ah, well, if I wanted a garbage can for a pet
(something that'd eat ANYTHING), I'da gotten a dog

jmc

Old May 8th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ken Knecht

jmc wrote in
:

On 4 May, 08:52, jmc wrote:

[...]

I'm very fortunate. My cat was very cautious eating the ground turkey the
first time but now after three feedings she loves it. Now I'm researching
what to add to it. I add a cat supplement, calcium, a drop of E and some
multi-B vitamin that I take. I'm searching the web for more info. The only
other cat supplement I've seen in the stores so far is Hartz cat vitamins
but I don't trust their products. The supplement I'm using seems ok but not
as complete as I'd like so I'm looking for a better one.

I am taking her off the dry Iams and Science diet for now and soon will
stop giving her canned Science Diet as well when my supply is used up. She
now gets SD with 1/2 tsp. of Metamucil for her hairballs for breakfast and
turkey for lunch and supper.

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me