If we ever needed purrs

Old April 20th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Default He's flipped

Lesley wrote:
Dave last went out the Sunday I sprained my ankle, that's almost 3
months ago.

I've tried very hard to get him out but he's always finding some
excuse (bad weather, money shortages etc) and I am once again back to
worrying that all the wonderful work the physio's did with him will
become undone so not having left the house for 3 months and walking no
further than the front door- what does laughing boy do?

He gets tickets for 2 gigs, one next Sunday and the other on the 9th
of May and STILL he doesn't go out, we were going to try the pub over
the road's roast dinners today but we got up late and then he started
saying by the time he'd had a wash etc...so he's planning to go from
hardly moving at all to having to stand for 3 or 4 hours....Still I
guess it's a sign things are getting back to normal he's always gone
to extremes about going out- long before he got ill he'd not go out
for ages then go out and walk for miles with me bringing up the rear
and pointing out that I had to walk miles every day and this was not
my idea of a day off!

And of course shoes are a problem- the sandals he was given a year ago
are starting to fall apart not surprising given he has them on all day
and every day, in fact they've lasted very well indeed. I've brought
him a couple of pairs but the innate problem is that one of his feet
is a bit bigger than the other and that's before you take his
dressings into account so anything that fits that foot is dangerously
loose on the other or fits the other and crushes his toes on that
side. I suggested calling Claus because he might be able to if nothing
else get Dave some more sandals

And we still haven't sorted out getting a bath or a shower- the
district nurses are all (apart from Cecilia) agreeing that the best
thing would be for them to call the day before they are coming and
then Dave could take his leg dressings off in the morning and have a
bath/shower before they came round and could put them back
on. ...sensible but they don't do it!

I have also got an interview on Thursday- this is for quite a big
promotion so any odd purrs hanging round would be appreciated- it's a
much more involved and interesting job than the current one- basically
it's office manager for a couple of paediatric secretarial teams I'll
be the boss! It's on the same site so I like the area and I like where
I work

Purrs for you to get the job.

Oh and Adrian- cats are fine for some reason they've really been
bouncing about for a couple of days, spring is in the air perhaps?
It's certainly in them! Through at this moment, Sarsi is doing her
dead cat impersonation on top of the PC and Dunzi is crashed out on
her box by the bedroom window

Leaving them till last again? ;o)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old April 20th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Apr 20, 11:43*am, "Adrian" wrote:

Leaving them till last again? ;o)

I have to tantalise you somehow :-))

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 20th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Lesley wrote:
snip
I have also got an interview on Thursday- this is for quite a big
promotion so any odd purrs hanging round would be appreciated- it's a
much more involved and interesting job than the current one- basically
it's office manager for a couple of paediatric secretarial teams I'll
be the boss! It's on the same site so I like the area and I like where
I work

Oh and Adrian- cats are fine for some reason they've really been
bouncing about for a couple of days, spring is in the air perhaps?
It's certainly in them! Through at this moment, Sarsi is doing her
dead cat impersonation on top of the PC and Dunzi is crashed out on
her box by the bedroom window

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Lots of purrs for you to get the job, Lesley,
Polonca and Soncek
Old April 20th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way.

--
Joy

Blessed are the PURR in Heart!

Old May 4th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default He's flipped even more

Hi all

Dave managed to dodge the district nurses this week- they called when
he was still in bed- at 11.00! I told him to just say he was out
because at least one of them says "everyone" should be in bed by 9.00
and up at 6.30..even I don't do that when I am working

Last Sunday's gig fell apart because he had terrible hay fever so we
missed it

We were supposed to go out today down to the "Half Moon" for Sunday
lunch but he didn;'t feel up to it-hay fever again and now we might go
out tomorrow but who knows? We have this gig on Friday and there are
no seats-have feeling I am going on my own or he'll go and we'll have
to come back early because he has done nothing about going out since I
busted my foot at the start of February

Dave's dad has been moved to another hospital for assessment it now
looks as if they didn't test for diabetes and that may have made
things worse- when they did his blood sugar was 23 which I gather
(Marina?) is very high but they sorted that out, moved him and
yesterday he was on a drip for low potassium and I know that cam be
serious! Dave's mum is still wending her merry way and alienating
everyone- her latest gripe is that Sonia did not pluck her eyebrows
for her so she had to pay the salon to do it! I mean I wouldn't let
anyone near me with sharp implements especially (as to Dave's mums
disgust) Sonia doesn't pluck her own eyebrows

Life goes on....

Adrian? They are having one of their odd conferences- behind the
toilet. Every so often they both go behind the toilet and sit there
washing each other and probably working out the rotas, you know
"B***tard cat trick of the week" "furball chuckng rota" cute moment
rota etc

Old May 11th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

I spent most of last weekend trying to coax Dave out since we had a
gig on Friday and I told him that given his furthest walking distance
since I busted my ankle has been to the toilet and back (and our flat
isn't that big) he'd pay for it if he then tried to go out all night.
So finally he suggested on Tuesday if I came straight back from work
we could go for a quick one in the "Bells"
(Adrian- Dunzi is crashed out in the hallway and Sarsi is washing
herself next to her- they don't like the heat!)

So Tuesdat was both brilliant and a disaster at the same time. We got
to the "Bells" and within 10 minutes Dave was saying it was boring in
there and anyway he couldn't drink beer because he was so hungry (I
make sure he has stuff to make a meal but it was too hot earlier in
the day to cook apparently - that's one improvement he's started to
cook a little for himself rather than relying on stuff from the
sandwich bar over the road (expensive and not very good)or M &S readt
meals okay it's nothing too spectacular- stuff he can warm up on the
cooker or in the microwave but it's a step in the right direction
through I do note he doesn't yet feel like helping out around the
house!) so I said it was grill night at the "Half Moon" could I lure
him to a steak and chips? So we got a cab

The "Half Moon" was packed so he said let's go to the Sing Li...Okay
says I lets' get a cab....No says Dave let's see how far I can walk
first..

Now the distance between the two points is well over half a mile, it's
fifteen minutes walk even if you aren't on a crutch and it's hot and
Dave is on a crutch I politely ask him if he happens to be insane or
more so than usual anyway but he insists he will try and...

Made it! By the time we got there he was sweating a lot and his back
and legs were starting to hurt but he did it! the horde of waitresses
chivy us to a back table possibly because the sight of us might put
passers by off. We only want something light but they have a minimum
order so we have to order something else.at this point I get the first
danger sign when they ask if we want a drink and Dave asks for a
mineral water! This is the first and only time in the now 30 years
we've been together that he has done this!

Of course by the time the food arrives he says he feels so ill- can we
possibly go home sorry? GOK what the waitresses make of this- they
serve their beautifully prepared and laid out food and I take one
mouthful and say "Could we have the bill please?" I spent 5 minutes
telling them it wasn't their fault and rather wished he had felt this
way before he ordered, One half of lager and one mineral water (both
unfinished) and a mouthful of beef and onion cost me nearly twenty
quid! I suspect the heat, hay fever, overdoing it and possibly a dodgy
pizza the night before did it

We got home and he was so sick I wanted to call an ambulance and he
even considered it for 30 seconds before instructing me to go forth
and multiply he then went to bed and spent the next two days on
mineral water and coke (odd one- when I had the problem with that
tooth (still unresolved but it doesn't hurt at all so I am saving up
for the root canal) one thing I did was stop drinking coke because it
seemed to aggravate my teeth I haven't had a single drop of the stuff
since the end of February whereas before I was on at least 2 cans a
day when working on Thursday it was so hot I took a can of coke out of
the fridge to drink on the tube-I took two mouthfuls and binned it- it
tastes awful!!!)

Friday morning the back really kicked in from his exertions on Tuesday
and I spent the whole day at work getting emails about how he had
barely been able to cook because he couldn't stand very long etc and
was fully expecting that he wasn't going to go (How to feel old, one
of the guys at work asked me what plans I had for the weekend and I
explained I was going to see "Space Ritual", which are effectively
"Hawkwind" and he said "My dad went to see Hawkwind when he was
young"- OUCH!)

Anyway Mallet turned up and I had a real crisis......I don't know if
any of you remember the "Dress" I got for my 50th? I wore it once and
put it away for the next special occasion, which was this so I took it
out and....where the main bit of the dress meets the shoulder strap (I
am sure there is a technical term but I don't know what it is) the
material has come away! I am well annoyed- a dress for a special
occasion surely shouldn't mean it can only be worn once? When I am
September they probably won't do anything...in the meantime I have
nothing to wear! Dave, being a boke does not understand that I cannot
wear the things I have been wearing all day because 1. After two tube
journeys in this weather they are saoked. 2. The skirt is too heavy.
3. They do nothing for my confidence. 4. I have things I like to wear
and things I wear for work and they are not always the same things!

And can I find anything I can wear that isn't stained in some way (My
dad said I needed a bib when I was 35!)? Mallet sounds amazed when I
explain I haven't had a washing machine for ages- how do I manage
without one? Especially as he would come round and plumb it in for us!
(Our new kitchen has it all wired and ready to go). This gives me an
opportunity to remind Dave that he promised me a new machine for Xmas
last year..whether he'll act on it GOK

I managed to find something not to bad in the end..

Outside....Dave wants to get a taxi but as I warned him it's a bad
time of night to hail one and after 15 minutes I point out we have a
minicab office next door but one to us....Dave says okay (I suspect he
just loves the idea of being in a taxi whereas to me all cars are on
the whole tin boxes with a wheel at each corner which get you from A
to B- never learned to drive- never felt the need to as I've always
lived where there's good public transport and I like a beer but think
drunk drivers who kill should be charged with murder) but it has to be
a 4X4 he doesn't think he can get into an ordinary car- too low. Alas
the cab office is 45 minutes for a 4X4 or right now for an ordinary
car so I point out he got into an ordinary car when he was still in a
wheelchair so how about it?

In fact after all the messing about he got in with the only problem
being where to put the crutch but it just sits on his and Mallet's
laps another inch or so and we'd have to angle it or something
We made the "Tottenham" but that was a mistake we should have asked
the cab to drop us off further up Oxford Street as by this time we
have to have a quick drink and then start to move towards the 100 club
because Dave can't move too fast...Oxford Street was crowded and they
were all going in the opposite direction and some of them were really
not watching out. One of those vendors of an evevning free paper
barged almost into Dave and a couple of drunks nearly pushed him off
his feet and someone stood on his toes but we reached the venue..

Oh the stairs.....if anyone knows the place (My mum used to go there
to dance with American soldiers in WW2!) it's got a couple of short
flights of stairs into it and Dave suddenly realises the handrail is
too low especially as his back is stiff....didn't see that one coming!

I almost feel like saying "Well the last gig we were supposed to go to
we didn't even get out so this is an improvement" when Dave asks the
security how many stairs? The guy says just two short flights and I
notice to their credit the security without being asked make sure no-
one can run down or up while Dave is on the stairs. He gritted his
teeth and got his hand on the rail and started to move in the end he
got down pretty quick, Then we found somewhere for him to sit and the
band started....

Well apart from being the one to fetch the beers which is normal for
me I didn't even have to watch Dave that much, he made it to the
toilet on his own and stood for a lot of the time since the seat meant
he didn't get a good view of what turned out to be an excellent gig we
even ,managed a few tentative dances!

Afterwards he got out with no problem we got a cab, I needed some
things from the "Somerfields" so Dave started walking towards the
crossing while I did that and as it was a warm night we sat on a wall
and shared a cigarette then went home and he managed to get up the
stairs no problem whereupon Dunzi who usually ignores him gave him
the fulll "Daadee I missed you!" routine

Old May 11th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
I spent most of last weekend trying to coax Dave out since we had a
gig on Friday and I told him that given his furthest walking distance
since I busted my ankle has been to the toilet and back (and our flat
isn't that big) he'd pay for it if he then tried to go out all night.
So finally he suggested on Tuesday if I came straight back from work
we could go for a quick one in the "Bells"
(Adrian- Dunzi is crashed out in the hallway and Sarsi is washing
herself next to her- they don't like the heat!)

OK, I can stop reading now. ;-)

Glad you managed to get to the gig and Sarsi was pleased to see Daddy home.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old June 16th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Quick update

Hi Adrian

Just for you- Dunzi is snoring on the bathmat and Sarsi is curled up
next to Daa-dee

Things seem to have come to an impasse with the district nurses-I said
to Dave you need to phone Klaus and ask to make an appointment to see
the tissue viability nurse because all they are doing is coming round
and changing the dressings on an ulcer that had more or less gone
since Christmas and until they're told to do something else they'll
just keep....sorta turning up. They didn't come the Tuesday before
last but said they would come on the Thursday then didn't. One minute
if they don't change the dressings every fortnight his foot might fall
off and the next he's ;left for a month with a dressing that is now
filthy and loose and his leg is itching like mad under it. He also
needs to sort something out on the footwear front...he even agrees it
would be sensible to call Klaus but of course, this is Mr
Procrastination we are talking about so he'll do it "tomorrow"...he's
got until next week to do it because then I will be back in my own
office and can settle down for a good long chat with Klaus if needs be

We went out last night to a gig so that's good, We were even going to
use public transport but the rail line involved was closed for
engineering works and the alternative route for which you would still
have to pay the train fare looked nightmarish (and included a 15-20
minute walk, which was Dave at the moment would be a 30-40 minute
walk) so we got a minicab instead

Tomorrow we are due a district nurse- bet we get Cecilia who wants to
refer Dave to social services because the flat isn't spotless (Believe
me it's been worse I have had to get at least into some sort of
routine and I'm getting better all the time-through not much helped by
Dave who always says "Do it later") and has go's at him for anything
from the time he goes to bed to the fact that he doesn't go to church
on Sunday! Anyway as over the next few weeks at some point our flat is
going to be turned into a building site for a few days when they put
the new windows in so I am not too fussed at the moment as long as the
food preparation areas and the bathroom are clean

Old July 10th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Oh God! She's back!

Got in last night to find Dave ready to give me both barrells if I had
called Cecilia-pointed out even when I have tried to call the district
nurses I only ever get their answerphone and they don't call back

Yes after 2 months Cecilia has returned! She swears she has been
trying to call Dave for 2 months and got no answer...She even wrote it
ASAP in the notes so if Dave complains she can point at them (I told
him to tell her she couldn't but he didn't have the energy to argue
with her) after all would she lie in a patients notes? Well yes. Dave
may have been out once or twice but only at night or at weekends and
we have an answerphone so she has, in fact completely forgotten about
him

This may explain why she was reasonably polite from what I hear. The
truth is the cats love every other district nurse but not her- Dunzi
went into hiding and Sarsi who was asleep on top of me (I have a very
upset stomach so was off work today) sat there and snarled while she
was in the flat- (I had the bedroom door shut so she couldn't get out
got the impression she might have gone for Cecelia's throat if she
could)

Dave said he wanted to see the tissue viability nurse because he would
really like to know what needs to be done next as opposed to you
turning up and dressing what is now a non-existant ulcer and has been
since January . She countered she would make a request but there was a
long wait for a home visit and Dave said he could get to the hospital
to see them- one nil tp Dave so she had to say she'd ask them - I have
told him he may have to remind her rather a lot

She got her own back with the toecaps through- the one's he hasn't
worn for about 7 months or so? She forced his foot into them even
through they don't fit anymore and nearly broke his little toe in the
process

And she mentioned social services again- she really has a problem with
this she keeps saying why wasn't Dave given a social worker ages ago?
And he keeps trying to explain that before he got ill he never engaged
with any of these services and she doesn't seem to be able to handle
that idea!

She should be back in a couple of weeks

And so it starts again

Old July 10th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
[...]

Sarsi's not stupid. ;-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart