[OT] I dare you all...

Old February 13th 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [OT] I dare you all...

Christina Websell wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message

Call me a troll but I am crying my heart out right now in
sorrow. I had heard and read some facts about mass production
of meat but the knowledge was purely conceptual until today.

It's a hard fact, isn't it for us meat-eaters to see the process of
how meat gets to our table?

Well, for some people, there is the option of buying meat that was
humanely raised and humanely killed. I realize this is not an option
for everyone, because such meat is not available everywhere, and it's
also a lot more expensive than factory-farmed meat, and not everybody
can afford it. I sympathize with that. But, if you do have the option
of buying it, and you feel bad about how animals are treated on farms
and in slaughterhouses, that's something to consider. You'd also be
supporting smaller farms, and often, local business.

It's also healthier, because animals that aren't all packed in
together, and living in unhealthy conditions, don't need to be given
antibiotics all the time to keep them from dying before they're fat
enough to be killed. I'd rather eat meat that isn't full of hormones,
drugs and other junk.

That said, I'm not against eating meat, either. I agree that humans
evolved to eat meat as well as vegetables. Hunting is a big part of
our evolution into humans. For that matter, I don't have a problem
with farming per se. I am against cruelty in farming, but I'm not
against farming altogether. There are some hard-liners who think
the only meat anyone should ever eat is a wild animal that the person
killed themselves. Yeah, whatever. Doesn't really work for the
millions of people living in cities.

Joyce
Old February 13th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

But you have me just about ready to bid on a lamb at the county fair. And
maybe find someone to go in with my on a steer.

Jo

Old February 13th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jo Firey wrote:

wrote in message

There are some hard-liners who think
the only meat anyone should ever eat is a wild animal that the person
killed themselves. Yeah, whatever. Doesn't really work for the
millions of people living in cities.

But you have me just about ready to bid on a lamb at the county fair. And
maybe find someone to go in with my on a steer.

Go for it!!

I have a friend who does this. It's not a county fair, but rather,
a local organic farm. They slaughter some number of sheep per year,
and you can buy a half or whole sheep. Either way, that's a whole
lotta meat, so you need to have either a big freezer, or a lot
of friends to split it with.

Joyce
Old February 13th 07, 08:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

wrote

| "Magic Mood Jeep?" wrote:
|
| I disregard anything that mentions them (and they were mentioned),
| as well as anything Alec Baldwin does - and why is he still in this
| country?? Didn't he, Susan Sarandon & Tim Robbins all state that
| they would leave if GW were elected - the first time? It's been 7
| years now, and they're still here (and so is GW). Time for them to
| own up to their "promises" LOL
|
| Well, I don't care much either way about Alec Baldwin, but don't you
| go talkin' trash about Susan and Tim!! I love them both. Tim Robbins
| starred in one of my favorite movies of all time, Jacob's Ladder. Susan
| starred in one of my other all-time faves, Thelma & Louise. So I'd just
| as soon keep them here, thank you!

I think Nancy is referring to the fact that they both appeared and spoke at
the January 27 peace rally in Washington DC. (along with Sean Penn, Jane
Fonda and other "stars") . I bet she'd also like the Dixie Chicks to
leave.... except that by now they are probably all on "no-fly" lists!

Old February 13th 07, 10:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

A video won't convince me to be a vegetarian,
I don't give a crap who narrates it.

Far be it from me to attempt to convince you of anything, by any
means. I don't give a crap what you do. In fact, please go eat as
much bacon grease as you can, right now.

Gonna fry up some bacon and eggs very shortly and happily use the grease to
make cornbread. Your PETA stuff doesn't impress me. Sorry.

Old February 13th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

Beef and lamb are raised in the fields here, so I have no problem eating it.
I do struggle with my liking for chicken meat, knowing that most is factory
farmed.
Organic is totally out of my price range. I eat veggie 4 days a week but I
can't seem to give up meat-eating. I really like meat.
Actually, I'm not too bothered about it. What would be the purpose of male
calves, lambs, piglets if we didn't eat them?
Anyone want a pet bull, ram, or boar?
No? I thought not.

Tweed

Old February 13th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

In my opinion we can't do much about the fact that the majority of us must
eat meat. What about those people who can't afford to buy expensive
vegetarian/organic/free range meat? It's very easy to condemn them, and say
'Well, go without electricity or something...as long as no animals die'. If
you do have the money and strong convictions to forswear animal products,
good for you, but I find Peta to be unreasonably condemning. I know that in
my country, (Australia) we have people living in the worst conditions in the
world, worse than all those countries that are on the news all the time for
war and famine. They probably don't have much time or energy to worry about
how their sauasages were killed. For myself, I can't afford to feed my
family vegetarian diet or free range and certified humane meat. Because I
have to feed a family of four on approx. $10/meal max. Am I to be condemned
for this? Or would you rather know that our long-term goal is to reach the
point where we can buy our own land, and live an environmentally sustainable
life, knowing that what we eat had as good a life as we could give it.
Despite the good intentions of western society, who can afford to worry
about such things, farming animals for meat will continue long after our
civilization has gone. We do the best we can in our own lifetime, but I
disagree with judging others and expecting them to live up to the standards
we congratulate ourselves for maintaining.

Old February 13th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default I dare you all...

On Feb 13, 4:03�pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, I'm not bothered at all by animals raised for food. Or eating
meat. I just wish there were more controls for the welfare of the
animal itself. In the meat industry there's such a concern about the
method of execution being such that the animal's heart continue to
beat so the carcass will bleed well. Driving stakes into the head to
deliver an electric charge is one method I believe. Sometimes the
animal regains consciousness before it actually dies. It isn't like it
used to be "back on the farm" that Matthew refers to. Those concerned
with the animal's suffering want the death to be quick and painless.
Those concerned with meat production want the process to benefit the
economics of the industry and quality of the steaks.
I kind of wish there were an agency whose job it was to oversee the
process as an advocate for the animal. But then, that's more
bureaucracy, more red tape, more expense to the consumer so it will
probably never happen. I don't know what the answer is.
I'm not criticizing anyone who lieks to eat meat. Not at all. I don't
think anyone here is. Just the needless suffering of the animal.
And, yes Tweed! I did have a bull for a pet. I was about 13 years old.
It was an orphan and I rasied it on a bottle. He grew into a 1300-lb.
Charolais bull named Whitey. He would still knock me down if he saw a
bottle or a bucket in my hand.

Sherry

Old February 14th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

.. Sometimes the
animal regains consciousness before it actually dies. It isn't like it
used to be "back on the farm" that Matthew refers to. Those concerned
with the animal's suffering want the death to be quick and painless.

Let me put it this way.

I have no issue with going up to a free range chicken, grabbing it
from behind and wringing its neck and eating it.

But I do have an issue with eating wings that came from a chicken that
spent its entire miserable life stuffed into a cage too small for it
to turn around.

Our neighbour has a slaughterhouse and he will stun a cow so it is
unconscious when he bleeds it. If he's killing it, I'm eating it.

I don't trust that factory equipment is going to wait until the animal
is unconscious the way my neighbour does. I'd rather not give my
money to buy meat from this source.

I certainly don't mind that Dylan doesn't eat animals; he doesn't
bother me because I do, so why should I bother him?

--Fil

Old February 14th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 13, 5:01�pm, "Enfilade" wrote:
[...]

Oh, Fil. Thank you for the feedback. You get what I was trying to say.
That's exactly the way I feel.

Sherry

Do I dare? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 October 19th 06 12:00 AM
[OT] [OT] Now I've seen it all.... Pat Cat anecdotes 24 August 1st 06 12:41 PM
[OT] Pup Shoots Man... Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 3 September 10th 04 07:16 AM
[OT] Purrs for Russian kids Yowie Cat anecdotes 46 September 6th 04 12:57 AM
How DARE you!!!!!!! Mischief Cat anecdotes 153 June 24th 04 01:50 AM