safe product to deter scratching on leather?

Old February 17th 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default safe product to deter scratching on leather?

Rene S. wrote:

Have you tried something simple, like draping a sheet over that part
of the couch, or putting a clear carpet runner, wrong side up?

Does he use his other scratchers regularly? He shouldn't be scratching
the leather if he has a preferred surface. Our youngest (five months)
wasn't happy with most of our scratchers, so I bit the bullet and
bought the Ultimate Cat Scratcher: http://www.esmartcat.com/shopping/Ul...ching_Post.htm

She adores it, and it's a serious piece of furniture. I recommend it.

I have 8 scratchers just like that. Plus a big tree, multi-level
climbing condo dealie, and several different horizontal scratchers.
Rudy uses them all, but he still goes for the couches sometimes. He's
probably thinking, "wheeeeee! Variety!!"

I've gotten some great advice in this thread, and I appreciate it -
thank you all - but I still want to know if there is a product I can use
on the leather that will deter him. Something that won't hurt it (or
the cats, of course). I trim his nails at least twice a month, he still
causes damage. I will not spray him with water, or hit him (of course).
And as to covering up the furniture with sheets, that's not an option.
I like sitting on the leather. I like the way it feels and the way it
looks, or else I wouldn't have bought it. It's our living room, we use
it all the time. Not just for company, it's for living. The dogs like
it, too. :-)

Sooooo if anyone knows of a product I can spray on the leather that is
effective and safe, please let me know. Even if its label advises
against using it on leather, if you've tried it with no damage, I want
to know. Thanks!
Old February 17th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

* And as to covering up the furniture with sheets, that's not an option..
* I like sitting on the leather. *I like the way it feels and the way it
looks, or else I wouldn't have bought it. *It's our living room, we use
it all the time. *Not just for company, it's for living. *The dogs like
it, too. *:-)

FWIW, my suggestions for using a sheet and/or carpet runner were meant
to be used when you were not on the furniture. I understand that it's
meant to be used, and these items are easily removed before lounging.

Old February 17th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rene S." wrote in message

FWIW, my suggestions for using a sheet and/or carpet runner were meant
to be used when you were not on the furniture. I understand that it's
meant to be used, and these items are easily removed before lounging.

I'd cover it with a sheet and find the scratchers kitty cannot resist and
place them near. Then kick myself for not covering it when I forget.

Old February 18th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

cybercat wrote:

I'd cover it with a sheet and find the scratchers kitty cannot resist and
place them near. Then kick myself for not covering it when I forget.

LOL !!
Old February 18th 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

I'd cover it with a sheet and find the scratchers kitty cannot resist and
place them near. Then kick myself for not covering it when I forget.

LOL !!

Hi there! Nice to see you posting again.

Old February 18th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

cybercat wrote:

Hi there! Nice to see you posting again.

You may see more of me... they are both out of control NUTS lately!
They act like they are always starving, even though they get the same
amount of food every day, at the same time. God I could set my watch by
them. Now they are both healthy and lean and active and tearing up the
place. Things were quieter when Rudy was fat, hehe.
Old February 24th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bartlet

On Feb 16, 12:27*am, Lynne wrote:

By the way, Levi is doing really well. *No bladder crystals and no
outbreaks of herpes in a while. *Both boys are slim and trim and active
and driving me nuts, in a good way.

i hope this ain't you

but anyway

let them scratch till the cows come home
cause when their gone, you don't care

youll be sitting there looking at the shiny couch (it's not like it's
real leather anyway) all choked up cause the cats gone

and, yule see an image of you detering her from having a blast
sharpening her claws

get rid of the cat if she can't be a cat

whied you get her? something to pet on?

give the cat the couch
she's earned it

cats have done more for you, than anything

stupid couch
Old February 24th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"bartlet" wrote in message
On Feb 16, 12:27 am, Lynne wrote:

By the way, Levi is doing really well. No bladder crystals and no
outbreaks of herpes in a while. Both boys are slim and trim and active
and driving me nuts, in a good way.

i hope this ain't you

but anyway

let them scratch till the cows come home
cause when their gone, you don't care

youll be sitting there looking at the shiny couch (it's not like it's
real leather anyway) all choked up cause the cats gone

and, yule see an image of you detering her from having a blast
sharpening her claws

get rid of the cat if she can't be a cat

whied you get her? something to pet on?

give the cat the couch
she's earned it

cats have done more for you, than anything

stupid couch

*******************

I don't really think anyone thinks this is cute any more. But you can keep
trying.

Old February 26th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bartlet

**

On Feb 24, 10:01*am, "cybercat" wrote:

I don't really think anyone thinks this is cute any more. But you can keep
trying.

I am sorry for you, if your cat crossed over.
very sorry about that.

I read another post, you mention, dh removed some of your cats
personal affects
and how helpful that was

well, I am sorry for you, about your cat

Thoughts in Purrs

Old February 26th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cyberpurrs

"bartlet" wrote in message
**

On Feb 24, 10:01 am, "cybercat" wrote:

I don't really think anyone thinks this is cute any more. But you can keep
trying.

I am sorry for you, if your cat crossed over.

She's fine. Because I caught it early, and paid for the surgery the next
day, the tumor came out and it was benign. That was July. No further
problems. It cost $350 total.

very sorry about that.

I read another post, you mention, dh removed some of your cats

personal affects
and how helpful that was

well, I am sorry for you, about your cat

If you gave a **** you would have followed the thread, Barry. I realize
you've had good luck conning stupid cat women in this group, so I expect you
will continue trying. Just don't shovel any bull**** my way. It's a waste of
your resources.