Hissing when playing?

Old February 12th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Other Mike[_2_]

Default Hissing when playing?

We have 4 cats...2 are about 2 1/2 years old...the other 2 are about 6
months old. When the little ones try playing with one of our older
ones...they seem to play fine...but the older cat sometimes hisses at
them. His tail is never fluffed, his ears aren't back...sometimes
he's even on his back swatting at them playfully...but hissing like
he's in a death match. If the little one runs away, the big one will
trot after him but never attack him. So when a cat hisses, does it
always mean they're mad? Or do they do it when it's just play too?
I've never had a cat that hissed before. The wife and I are starting
to think he's just not very bright and doesn't even know why he's
hissing.
Old February 12th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
news
We have 4 cats...2 are about 2 1/2 years old...the other 2 are about 6
months old. When the little ones try playing with one of our older
ones...they seem to play fine...but the older cat sometimes hisses at
them. His tail is never fluffed, his ears aren't back...sometimes
he's even on his back swatting at them playfully...but hissing like
he's in a death match. If the little one runs away, the big one will
trot after him but never attack him. So when a cat hisses, does it
always mean they're mad? Or do they do it when it's just play too?
I've never had a cat that hissed before. The wife and I are starting
to think he's just not very bright and doesn't even know why he's
hissing.

It is called a pecking order. The older one is showing dominance. Since
there is no tail fluffing, growling or attacks than it something they
will work out.

But maybe the older cats does not realize it is doing it.

Old February 12th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

IME, some cats hiss a lot more than others. One of ours will hiss
quiet often at a number of things, while another rarely (if ever)
hisses. What you're describing sounds like an automatic reflex and not
an angry/upset mechanism. He clearly is not upset or you would see
other signs (like you mentioned, the ears back, growling, screeching,
etc.)
Old February 13th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Tiger will hiss at nothing. When he gets in my way I will say "look
out" and he will hiss.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old February 13th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Tiger will hiss at nothing. When he gets in my way I will say "look
out" and he will hiss.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Mike I can understand that you slave he master he is letting you know who
is boss;-)

Old February 13th 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne Mitchell

The Other Mike wrote:

but the older cat sometimes hisses at
them. His tail is never fluffed, his ears aren't back...sometimes
he's even on his back swatting at them playfully...but hissing like
he's in a death match.

Does he ever hiss like that at a toy? I have one who does. She doesn't
play much and sometimes acts as though she thinks she shouldn't. If I
manage to get her excited with a toy I'm waving, she'll take a few quick
bats at it and begin to hiss. Then it's as though the hissing reminds
her that this is something she doesn't do, and she leaves the room.
--

Wayne M.
Old February 16th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clara Semps

In article , The Other Mike
wrote:

We have 4 cats...2 are about 2 1/2 years old...the other 2 are about 6
months old. When the little ones try playing with one of our older
ones...they seem to play fine...but the older cat sometimes hisses at
them. His tail is never fluffed, his ears aren't back...sometimes
he's even on his back swatting at them playfully...but hissing like
he's in a death match. If the little one runs away, the big one will
trot after him but never attack him. So when a cat hisses, does it
always mean they're mad? Or do they do it when it's just play too?
I've never had a cat that hissed before. The wife and I are starting
to think he's just not very bright and doesn't even know why he's
hissing.

Usually, but not always, it's just a sign of annoyance. Hissing is a
cat's way of saying "stop it". I hiss at my cats when they try to walk
on my night stand which they know they're not supposed to. If I catch
them, hissing gets their attention and they stop what they're doing.
Furby, the younger one, gets a guilty look on his face too. It's very
funny to see. chuckle
Old February 17th 09, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Sounds like they are playing very nicely! Sometimes they do get carried
away and get a little angry but it's still all in fun.

Barb

Old February 17th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Barb" wrote in message
Sounds like they are playing very nicely! Sometimes they do get carried
away and get a little angry but it's still all in fun.

Hissing is so different from cat to cat--the feelings it expresses, I mean.
My little tabby has hissed maybe five times total in seven years, and I have
to keep messing with her to get her to do it. (Meaning, we have been playing
for a while in the "got yer tummy" way, and she is clearly overstimulated.
When she does, she kind of squeeeeeezes one off, like she really hates doing
it. There's even a little pause after her ears are back and her mouth is
open and her eyes are closed. And just before this point, if I am "getting
her" with my hand, she throws her head back and closes her eyes, and I can
just about see the bubble over her head saying " must ...... not ...... bite
....... mommyyyyyyy ......" I stop before this point now)

Our tuxedo, on he other hand, will be lying comfortably on a leg, in a lap,
and all we have to do is MOVE and she hisses. If you touch her tail at all
she hisses. If you touch her too long, as in cuddle or hold her or even pet
her just the way she likes at a moment when she is not in the mood, she
hisses. Once on the way home from the vet my husband stopped for fast food
and she spotted the kid in the window and started this menacing low growl.

They're all different. I wish my girls would play together, but they never
have.

Old February 18th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

cybercat wrote:

Hissing is so different from cat to cat--the feelings it expresses

I have never had a hisser. I mean, they will all hiss under certain
circumstances, but I've never had one who hissed frequently. Suddenly
Levi is hissing, at Rudy. I was carrying one in each arm to take them
to bed last night and Levi just started hissing at Rudy (again). I
think Levi is healthier than ever and his true personality is shining
through. He's sooooo jealous if I give Rudy attention, the little brat.