Feline Pine litter is weird stuff

Old March 31st 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Feline Pine litter is weird stuff

I haven't used it before but I'm catsitting for someone who does use
it and it is very odd stuff. Since she has 24 cats, keeping odor down
is important and it seems to do that fairly well.

The odd thing about the litter is that it looks like rabbit feed
pellets, or hamster food. Maybe it is. As the cats pee on it, it
disintegrates into sawdust. So, in order to clean the box, you take
scoopfuls of the stuff and shake it, but unlike regular clumping
litter, the sawdust falls out and the pellets that remain get put
back. Normally the stuff that falls through is what you keep and the
stuff that stays behind is what you discard.

So this is just the reverse of normal scooping Of course, you still
need to discard the poop.

Of course, wtih so many cats, it takes a long time to scoop all the
sawdust away. I looked on internet and found that the FP people sell a
litterbox designed for the sawdust to fall through. The sawdust falls
through holes into a lower box and you just need to dump that.
Hopefully it will work well because I ordered two for her. I'm not
rich but I can spare $50, she can't. Too bad they won't come in time
to save me the trouble of sifting.

I see FP also has a scooping litter. I guess I'll check that out for
my own cats.
Old March 31st 11, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry Stark

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:20:24 -0400, dgk wrote:

[...]

Bless you for being so kind and doing this for them. Hopefully they
appreciate it!!!

I can not imagine having that many cats!! I have 5 and that gets to
be a chore especially when I am not feeling well but know they have to
be taken care of regardless how I feel!!

Old March 31st 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_8_]

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I love it. It definitely keeps odor away. I really like the fact that it's
flushable. It gets tracked all over , however.
The scooping feline Pine turns to a gummy mess when wet .

Old March 31st 11, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"dgk" wrote in message
I haven't used it before but I'm catsitting for someone who does use
it and it is very odd stuff. Since she has 24 cats, keeping odor down
is important and it seems to do that fairly well.

24 cats! Does she run a shelter?!

So this is just the reverse of normal scooping Of course, you still
need to discard the poop.

Pine litter sounds like a pain in the ass to me and I only have one cat.

Jill

Old March 31st 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:35:01 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
I haven't used it before but I'm catsitting for someone who does use
it and it is very odd stuff. Since she has 24 cats, keeping odor down
is important and it seems to do that fairly well.

24 cats! Does she run a shelter?!

So this is just the reverse of normal scooping Of course, you still
need to discard the poop.

Pine litter sounds like a pain in the ass to me and I only have one cat.

Jill

We've used it for years. We used to use the newspaper litter - THAT
was a pain in the rear, and it stunk to high heaven. Feline Pine is
odourless until the box is ready to be changed entirely.

I use an under-the-bed storage box for the litterbox and dump half a
bag in on Sunday. Scoop out the solid waste directly into the lavatory
a few times during the week and don't worry about the sawdust. It's
doing its job. By Friday night or Saturday, virtually all the pellets
have broken down to sawdust and it's time to empty the lot into a
trashbag and start over. Of course I have three cats using it, not 24!
I would SERIOUSLY not have the patience to try to keep the box free of
sawdust... and I've never tried the clumping version. The sawdust
absorbs the odour very effectively.

The biggest maintenance is sweeping around the box every few days and
scooping the sawdust back into the box - the cats
Old April 1st 11, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Mar 31, 10:39*am, hopitus wrote:
On Mar 31, 9:20*am, dgk wrote:

[...]

I bought that stuff many years ago and along with Swheat scoop litter,
will never
mess with it again. My cats *ate* it resulting in multiple barfing all
over the house.
Csonsider yourself advised and forewarned.- Hide quoted text -

I had a sample bag of pine litter and was not impressed at all --
especially
with the odor. I know it's supposed to be more environmentally
friendly,
but there are some places I draw the line, and a smelly house is one
of them.
Besides that, I thought cats were supposed to be repelled by pine
odor. Guess not.

Sherry
Old April 1st 11, 06:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

dgk wrote:

I see FP also has a scooping litter. I guess I'll check that out for
my own cats.

The FP clumping litter is great but more expensive than the pellets.
We occasionally use it if it happens to show up at one of the damaged
freight outlets that we frequent, but mostly use FP pellets and we all
love it. Sawdust on the floor is easier to take on the soles of bare
feet than any other type of litter. We don't even try to remove the
sawdust, we just take out the solid wastes. They do make special
scoops for this litter. The scoop is designed to allow whole pellets
to fall through. But it doesn't work because the pellets will expand
slightly when exposed to liquid. So we remove the poops with hand-in-
plastic-bag method, and just leave the sawdust until it starts to
smell, then toss the dust into compost.

Old April 1st 11, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 22:36:45 -0700 (PDT), Pat
wrote:

dgk wrote:

I see FP also has a scooping litter. I guess I'll check that out for
my own cats.

The FP clumping litter is great but more expensive than the pellets.
We occasionally use it if it happens to show up at one of the damaged
freight outlets that we frequent, but mostly use FP pellets and we all
love it. Sawdust on the floor is easier to take on the soles of bare
feet than any other type of litter. We don't even try to remove the
sawdust, we just take out the solid wastes. They do make special
scoops for this litter. The scoop is designed to allow whole pellets
to fall through. But it doesn't work because the pellets will expand
slightly when exposed to liquid. So we remove the poops with hand-in-
plastic-bag method, and just leave the sawdust until it starts to
smell, then toss the dust into compost.

I hadn't thought about just leaving the sawdust. But apparently if you
use the litterbox where the sawdust falls through, you never have to
replace all the pellets, just keep adding new ones. We'll see.
Old April 1st 11, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:35:01 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
I haven't used it before but I'm catsitting for someone who does use
it and it is very odd stuff. Since she has 24 cats, keeping odor down
is important and it seems to do that fairly well.

24 cats! Does she run a shelter?!

So this is just the reverse of normal scooping Of course, you still
need to discard the poop.

Pine litter sounds like a pain in the ass to me and I only have one cat.

Jill

I guess she does run a shelter in a way. She is involved in TNR work
around here and seems to end up with the cats that no one else wants.
She had five or six of her own, and then took in a few special needs
cats and it sort of snowballed. She got the last eight as a group of
kittens that she was trying to socialize. I posted about it here last
week.

I'm trying to get the last eight, who are still under a year old,
adopted. They are a bit skitish among strangers so shelters prefer not
to take them. By that definition, two of my four cats are unadoptable.
Old April 1st 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:38:59 -0400, "news" wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Oh, I hadn't realized that it was flushable! I've been throwing it
away.