Anybody have a Ragdoll kitty?

Old December 4th 03, 05:06 PM
Mary

"~*SooZy*~" wrote in message

"-L." wrote in message
m...
"Mary" wrote in message

.com...
A lot of cats - "pure bred", or otherwise, do this. The "limp
ragdoll" or "docile ragdoll" myth was proven to be just that - a

myth
(From GCCF):

"Ragdoll Cats: Many comments have been made about Ragdoll cats and

so
the decision to recognise them was not taken until very careful
investigations had taken place. Reports were obtained from a

leading
veterinary college to confirm that the central nervous system of

these
cats is perfectly normal, that they are not in any way different

from
other cats and that they are no more or less likely to be floppy

when
relaxed than any other cat.

Yes I read a report from Glasgow uni, about Ragdolls nervous system

being
the same as a normal cats too, a long while back.

Well, of course their nervous systems are the same! MIne is the same
as my sister's but I tend to be relaxed and floppy and she is type A!
It is more about temperament, I think, and a built-in predilection to
be laid back.

I must say though my Ragdolls are really floppy, much more so than

any other
cat I have had! I think you have to have owned a Ragdoll to realise

just how
floppy they are, and very docile too.

That is the thing. My neighbor's cat is just so ... DIFFERENT. I need
to see and hold a confirmed Ragdoll to know if this might be why.

But then again they are very big and
heavy type cats.
you can just hang them over your arm, they don't tense up or leap

out of
your arms, I have never had a cat previously let me do this. But I

have only
ever owned moggies who were never heavy or over weight.
You can hold them like babies, and put them down once asleep and

they stay
that way with out moving. Even my 6 week old Ragdolls you can lay on

their
backs.

It is also questionable whether they have
the very high pain threshold that has been suggested.

Yes some poeople seriously believed Ragdolls did not feel

pain!!!!!!!
Hmmmmmm!!! wonder where that came from!

The Ragdoll was first introduced in the United States where the

breed
was speedily patented. The only way in which such a patent could

be
obtained was by the claim that the cat was unlike other cats; this
claim has since been discredited both in the United States and the
United Kingdom."

yes that is how all pedigree cats are made, have to have something
different.
Ragdolls look like Birmans, to most people until you really get into
learning about them, eg the head, ears, body shape, size.

temperament etc
they are both beautiful, its those blue eyes I love :-)

They sound just lovely.

Just talked to my neighbor--the vet gave the kitty a clean bill of
health, although she had been in a fight as one ear is scarred. I'm
still boiling over the fact that some idiot declawed this gentle cat
then left her outside to fend for herself.

Old December 4th 03, 05:06 PM
Mary

Yoda is yellow with tuxedo markings. More like a leisure-suit kitty

than a
tuxedo.

Sherry

Hahaha!!

Old December 4th 03, 05:15 PM
Yngver

Yes Mitted Ragdolls are common, 2 of my 6 week old Ragdoll kittens are
mitted, like their Father, I love their little white paws :-)
I did not know all Birmans were mitted, you learn something new everyday :-)

Yes, that's the hallmark of the Birman breed.

Old December 4th 03, 06:40 PM
Joe Canuck

-L. wrote:

"Mary" wrote in message .com...

Upon reflection, it occurred to me that my neighbor's new cat might be
a Ragdoll, because it goes limp when picked up and just sort of drapes
over you. I did a Google image search, and there she was!

A lot of cats - "pure bred", or otherwise, do this. The "limp
ragdoll" or "docile ragdoll" myth was proven to be just that - a myth

Fortunately, the characteristic is not a myth with the Ragdoll.

Where do you suppose the breed name "Ragdoll" originated from in terms
of being descriptive of characteristics within the breed?

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck