Cat not eating

Old December 14th 04, 03:26 AM
Paul O.

Default Cat not eating

Can a 15lb inactive house cat sustain itself on the juices in pouch food?
Other than that he is eating less than 3 ozs of the solid part per day. I
put down a 3 oz pouch in the morning and then again in the late afternoon.
There is also a small amount of dry that he may nibble at somewhat, but not
much. Most of it goes in the trash when fresh is put down. Thanks.
--
Paul O.
Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats

Old December 14th 04, 04:06 AM
Mary

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
Can a 15lb inactive house cat sustain itself on the juices in pouch food?
Other than that he is eating less than 3 ozs of the solid part per day. I
put down a 3 oz pouch in the morning and then again in the late afternoon.
There is also a small amount of dry that he may nibble at somewhat, but

not
much. Most of it goes in the trash when fresh is put down. Thanks.
--

Paul--have you tried one of the canned foods that are
ground or flaked instead of in chunks? And what is your cat's

Old December 14th 04, 04:25 AM
Paul O.

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
Can a 15lb inactive house cat sustain itself on the juices in pouch food?
Other than that he is eating less than 3 ozs of the solid part per day. I
put down a 3 oz pouch in the morning and then again in the late
afternoon.
There is also a small amount of dry that he may nibble at somewhat, but

not
much. Most of it goes in the trash when fresh is put down. Thanks.
--

Paul--have you tried one of the canned foods that are
ground or flaked instead of in chunks? And what is your cat's
health history?

Well in the past I've tried several of the better brands of canned, I still
have a lot of them and am going to try them on him again, but would also
like to stay with the pouch food he did eat for awhile in hopes he will
resign himself to it rather than buying all kinds of food he won't eat. His
health history is kinda a long story. Nothing too serious as it turned
out, but it all started with constipation last summer due to a hairball. He
went thru a period of not eating anything. The vet said his liver enzymes
were off and put him on Waltham's Renal LP. He finally started eating that
and everything got better. A few weeks ago the vet said that the liver was
ok however at that time he showed a higher than normal for sugar. The vet
said was possibly diabetes, or from stress from the day at the vet for a
checkup. A couple weeks ago did a follow up blood test and everything was
good. So he's off the Renal LP and started him on the Nutro pouch which he
really liked.... for about a week and a half, just enough time for me to
decide it was ok to buy a couple week supply. Now he doesn't like it. I'm
still hoping he comes around to eating it again. I guess that's about it.
Thanks.

Old December 14th 04, 04:29 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
Can a 15lb inactive house cat sustain itself on the juices in pouch food?
Other than that he is eating less than 3 ozs of the solid part per day. I
put down a 3 oz pouch in the morning and then again in the late afternoon.
There is also a small amount of dry that he may nibble at somewhat, but

not
much. Most of it goes in the trash when fresh is put down. Thanks.
--
Paul O.

Nope, I don't think this is enough, esp. for a large cat. I don't remember
if he has special heath considerations - other than remembering that he has
been a very picky eater - that you'd find something he liked, only to find
that he was refusing it a while later. Are there dry foods he may like,
besides wet foods, maybe? Anything to expand the possibilities is what I'm
thinking.

Nutrical, while he's in the not eating much phase may help. And/or maybe
Hill's Prescription a/d (a wet food available from the vet) - it's pretty
full of calories & a lot of cats consider it to be extra-yummy tasting. As a
last resort, the vet may be able to prescribe an appetite stimulant, such as
cyproheptadine - it's an antihistamine for people, but works as an appetitie
stimulant for cats; maybe even a half-dose would be enough to get him eating
again each day.

Cathy

Old December 14th 04, 06:23 PM
dgk

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:29:57 -0500, "Cathy Friedmann"
wrote:

"Paul O." wrote in message
.com...
[...]

My 16 lb boy doesn't seem to eat very much. He nibbles a bit at the
canned food and then tries to bury it. He nibbles at the crunchies
also. But he maintains his weight.

Paul, what are his teeth like? Perhaps he is in pain when he eats?

Old December 15th 04, 01:02 AM
Paul O.

My 16 lb boy doesn't seem to eat very much. He nibbles a bit at the
canned food and then tries to bury it. He nibbles at the crunchies
also. But he maintains his weight.

Paul, what are his teeth like? Perhaps he is in pain when he eats?

The next to last visit to the vet was a complete check up and the teeth were
checked and cleaned. That was about 4 wks. ago.

Old December 15th 04, 01:37 AM
Paul O.

Just a side note here. Just put him on the digital bathroom scales and he
weighs 15.0 lbs. Have no idea how accurate these are. A week ago last Sat.
when we took him for the last blood test(everything showed good) weighed him
on their scales and he was 15.6 lbs. Not knowing the difference in the two
scales I don't believe I am going to worry too much about a 1/2 lb.
difference at the moment. Will keep a closer eye on the weight tho. Last
June or July when he started to have trouble he was a 20 lb. cat. At that
time the vet said he needed to lose some weight. I didn't think that 20 lbs.
for a Maine Coon male was overweight, but maybe being an inactive house cat,
maybe so. At any rate I would like to see him at 16.5 lbs. myself at least.
He feels to bony to me after knowing him at 20 lbs.

Old December 15th 04, 06:46 AM
Tracy

Don't ask me. I've got two females at 9 lbs and 11lbs respectively.
I'm not sure any cat should weigh 20lbs and 15lbs sounds like a
reasonable enough weight to me. Have you varied the food? Sometimes my
cats just go off a particular flavor for a while that they gobbled
consistently forever. Who knows? Maybe he's just on strike for a change

Old December 15th 04, 07:52 PM
dgk

On 14 Dec 2004 21:46:54 -0800, "Tracy" wrote:

Don't ask me. I've got two females at 9 lbs and 11lbs respectively.
I'm not sure any cat should weigh 20lbs and 15lbs sounds like a
reasonable enough weight to me. Have you varied the food? Sometimes my
cats just go off a particular flavor for a while that they gobbled
consistently forever. Who knows? Maybe he's just on strike for a change

20 is large but not especially so for a Maine Coon. They are big cats.