Our Alarming Night

Old October 24th 15, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Our Alarming Night

3:45AM - I was awakened from a sound sleep (which doesn't happen every
night) to the sound of howling. Buffy?! I turned on the bedside lamp,
grabbed my glasses and my robe and went looking for her.

I have never, ever, heard Buffy howl before. I found her staring out
one of the the glass panels that flank my front door. She was very
upset. Rrrrrrrrrrow!

I flipped the switch for the light above the front door. Nothing doing.
Guess that bulb burned out even though I never use it. So I went and
got my big flashlight. Meanwhile Buffy was growling, low in her throat.

I shined the flashlight out but it is impossible to see much through
those tall narrow glass panes.

I moved to the dining room window where the pet steps are and shined the
light. I still couldn't see right by the front door.

Buffy had sort of reluctantly followed me. For a minute she went back
and forth. Then she got on the steps. She was staring out and
growling, low in her throat. She hissed and puffed up like the
proverbial Halloween cat. I still couldn't see anything.

So, feeling a tad foolish, I called Security. They sent someone over to
look around. He spotted a couple of raccoons. I've had an alligator in
my yard before so I wasn't about to open that door.

Buffy seems to be a great guard cat. Never thought she'd do that.

She also was the first one to go, okay, the guy was here, there's
nothing out there. Let's go back to bed. Let me roll around and get
scritches and praises. Don't I look cute?

Methinks this was a BCT.

Jill
Old October 25th 15, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe so. Maybe not. I think she saw something that was dangerous. do
you have bears or mountain lions where you live? (sorry, I'm not good with
USA geography, I don't know where they are in the country, I'm a Brit) but
I think she saw something nasty.
If I had security people, I would have have called them too in your
position.

Old October 25th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I was actually joking about the BCT. She definitely saw something and
it made her feel territorial. American raccoons look sort of like
striped tailed cats.

I'm ignorant of UK geography. But, no, where I live in the US there
aren't any bears or mountain lions. The USA is a huge country with all
sorts of different wildlife.

I live in an island area where there are alligators and snakes. And
raccoons and opossums. The occasional white-tail deer wanders up and
eats the flowers that grow in my back yard. So yes, lots of animals but
not bears or cougars.

It was as if she Buffy was alerting me, though. I think it was probably
a raccoon she saw.

Jill
Old October 25th 15, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 10/24/2015 3:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I have had Nikki do that when raccoons are in the back yard--it is
frequent, but it is unusual for Nikki to growl at them. Usually, Nikki
and Selina simply to to the windows and "track" the raccoons. My first
warning that raccoons are on the prowl is usually when my security
lights turn on.

MaryL

Old October 26th 15, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_5_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Obviously she thought the raccoons were burglars, after all they were
wearing masks. šŸ˜œ

--
Adrian

Old October 27th 15, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

I know that you are in Texas and Jill is in South Carolina. I'm trying to
learn about the USA. so where are the cougars and bears? I'm guessing more
northerly.
Texas is bigger than England. allegedly we once had bears and wolves
centuries ago. There are some people that are in favour of reintroducing
wolves to the UK. Oh, please let's not. Everything died out for a reason.
Fortunately no-one has suggested bears should come back. Phew. Next thing
what? Mammoths? A mammoth skeleton was found just a few miles away from my
house.

Old October 27th 15, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

Bears are more in the northeast towards Canada. Cougars/mountain lions
are more common in the southwest. There are some wolves in the southern
states but they aren't around like they used to be.

Jill

Old October 27th 15, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 22:03:23 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Bears are more in the northeast towards Canada.

Bears are common in Los Angeles, at least the suburbs near the mountains.

Cougars/mountain lions are more common in the southwest.

Very common here, usually far from humans, but seen in yards and school
grounds at times. Public and news media goes ballistic then.

There are some wolves in the southern
states but they aren't around like they used to be.

Wolves have been reintroduced in the north central states,
around Yellowstone and central Idaho, as well as New Mexico and Arizona,
AND the Carolinas.

Old October 27th 15, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 00:05:33 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Texas is bigger than England. allegedly we once had bears and wolves
centuries ago. There are some people that are in favour of reintroducing
wolves to the UK. Oh, please let's not. Everything died out for a reason.
Fortunately no-one has suggested bears should come back. Phew. Next thing
what? Mammoths? A mammoth skeleton was found just a few miles away from my
house.

England is about 50,000 square miles in area, and has a population of
about 53 million people.

Texas is 268,000 SM, with 28 million people.

So more than 5 times the area, with just over half the population.
But Texas IS generally flatter and more universally habitable.

California is 163,000 SM, and has over 39 million inhabitants.
But much of it is mountains and desert, partly habitable for a
few hardy souls.

San Diego County, California, where I am, is over 4500 SM,
with something over 3 million people.

Boyfriend had an alarming day Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 7 October 28th 15 10:19 AM
Until last night Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 2 April 30th 15 08:06 PM
Last night Joy Cat anecdotes 19 September 7th 14 05:23 PM
The night before night before Christmas fun GaDragonfly Cat anecdotes 8 January 8th 08 12:00 AM
Sunday night was biff night Helen Wheels Cat anecdotes 8 July 8th 05 04:37 AM