Cat restless with apparent discomfort & clear vaginal discharge

Old November 25th 04, 10:46 AM
Randy W. Sims

Default Cat restless with apparent discomfort & clear vaginal discharge

I have a Tonkinese kitten of about ~6 months. She was fine yesterday,
but I noticed this morning (4am Eastern Time) that she seems to have
some abdominal discomfort from the way she keeps rolling around and
trying to reposition herself constantly. There also appears to be a
minute discharge of clear liquid/gel-like substance from the vagina.

I'm still new to cats and don't know what might be going on. After I
send this I plan to do some googling, and if nothing else calling an
animal hospital within the next hour.

If anyone is online with ideas, I would be gratefull. Even suggestions
of a good cat vet in Atlanta, GA that would be open.

Thanks,
Randy.
Old November 25th 04, 12:44 PM
Mary

"Randy W. Sims" wrote in message
I have a Tonkinese kitten of about ~6 months. She was fine yesterday,
but I noticed this morning (4am Eastern Time) that she seems to have
some abdominal discomfort from the way she keeps rolling around and
trying to reposition herself constantly. There also appears to be a
minute discharge of clear liquid/gel-like substance from the vagina.

I'm still new to cats and don't know what might be going on. After I
send this I plan to do some googling, and if nothing else calling an
animal hospital within the next hour.

If anyone is online with ideas, I would be gratefull. Even suggestions
of a good cat vet in Atlanta, GA that would be open.

Randy, do get her in to the vet. It sounds serious.

Old November 25th 04, 01:10 PM
Randy W. Sims

Mary wrote:
"Randy W. Sims" wrote in message

I have a Tonkinese kitten of about ~6 months. She was fine yesterday,
but I noticed this morning (4am Eastern Time) that she seems to have
some abdominal discomfort from the way she keeps rolling around and
trying to reposition herself constantly. There also appears to be a
minute discharge of clear liquid/gel-like substance from the vagina.

I'm still new to cats and don't know what might be going on. After I
send this I plan to do some googling, and if nothing else calling an
animal hospital within the next hour.

If anyone is online with ideas, I would be gratefull. Even suggestions
of a good cat vet in Atlanta, GA that would be open.

Randy, do get her in to the vet. It sounds serious.

I started to. I called a local emergency vet and was going to take her
in. But as I was on the phone she had a bowel movement-a normal healthy
movement, which was a relief to me. At least it wasn't an obstruction. I
decide to wait a while and watch her close. She seemed to improve some,
but I was still worried. I put her in the car (without a carrier as she
was fairly inactive and I wanted to watch her). Less than a mile and she
was all over the car exploring acting normal, so I turned around. I've
still been watching her close. She's improved but something still seems
to be wrong. I noticed several times one of her eyes is staying partly
closed, sometimes twitching, and just a few moments ago was teared up. I
don't know if her eye is causing all the other discomfort or the
discomfort is causing her eye to tear up. But the latter seems less
likely since it is just the one eye.

I have no idea what is going on. But I'm watching very closely. If it
weren't for noticeable improvement over the last hour, I'd be at the vet
now. I'm still hoping it's just a tummy ache or that she got into
something that's caused some irritation... I did find a can of Glade
deodorizing spray with the top missing behind a cabinet, but that was
probably the work of my ferrets when they were out of the cage. I don't
see how any of them could discharge it. Likely the top broke off when
they pushed it off the cabinet. Of course, an irritant like that would
probably cause the same symptoms wouldn't it?

Randy.

Old November 25th 04, 01:55 PM
Randy W. Sims

Alison wrote:
Hi Randy , Has she been spayed, is it likely she is coming into
season?
Alison

She hasn't been spayed yet. I'm supposed to have that done this month,
~6 months old.

Randy.
Old November 25th 04, 03:15 PM
~*Connie*~

Alison wrote:
Hi Randy , Has she been spayed, is it likely she is coming into
season?
Alison

She hasn't been spayed yet. I'm supposed to have that done this month,
~6 months old.

Randy.

Yup. She is in heat.

Old November 25th 04, 06:21 PM
MacCandace

That was actually the first thought that popped into my mind too. Just the
right age as well.

Me, too. I don't know about the eye thing but constantly rolling around and
trying to reposition herself and the clear discharge are signs of heat. Is she
meowing a lot, too?

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)
Old November 25th 04, 11:04 PM
Randy W. Sims

MacCandace wrote:
That was actually the first thought that popped into my mind too. Just the
right age as well.

Me, too. I don't know about the eye thing but constantly rolling around and
trying to reposition herself and the clear discharge are signs of heat. Is she
meowing a lot, too?

Ok, now I feel like an idiot. Maybe this is why she seems to
particularly like it right now when I scratch her flanks, and why she
sticks her rear end up in the air while scratching there also. This is
something I hadn't read up on as I didn't expect it to come up. I think
the first thing I'll do tomorrow (everythings closed for Thanksgiving
now) is find some good books. When I got my ferrets, I did all kinds of
research: books, magazines, newsgroups. But I didn't really read up on
cats when I got my Tonk. I guess I was thinking things would be a little
common sense & obvious.

Meanwhile, is there any online reference or can anyone give me any
pointers. Is there anything I should or should not do? She's an indoor
cat and will obviously be remaining indoors for the moment. How long
does it last? I was planning on getting her spayed within the next two
weeks, do I have to wait. With ferrets it's a bit more dangerous when
they're in heat. I've even read that it can be life threatening unless
they couple or are "treated", but I don't seem to recall hearing such
things about cats.

Thanks,
Randy.
Old November 25th 04, 11:53 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Randy W. Sims at
wrote on 11/25/04 4:04 PM:

MacCandace wrote:
[...]

You don't really have to do anything (except of course, get her spayed as
soon as you can). The length of it and how often it happens is individual
to the cat. It can try your patience, because they can be very vocal,
incredibly obnoxiously needy and some may even urinate in a "marking" manner
(not a problem I encountered but it can happen.) Mostly, just be patient
with her and get her fixed as soon as is convenient. They will not want to
do it when she is in heat, so you need to catch her off cycle. Good luck.