Preparing cats for the big move

Old February 9th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Preparing cats for the big move

Please come up with a different alternative. If there is any possibility
that a cat could come into contact with an electric fence (which is your
reason for installing one), it could be dangerous and painful. Yes, I am
familiar with electric fences. However, they are intended for larger
animals. I was once riding a horse which touched an electric fence with his
nose. The moisture on his nose probably intensified the sensation, and he
literally went crazy (with me on his back!). An enclosure such as what
Sherry described could work very well.

Actually, small animal fence chargers wouldn't present a risk of harm. And
getting a sting on the paw *is* the whole idea. Once a kitty gets bitten
by touching the "magic wire", said kitty will avoid touching it again.

Old February 9th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Please come up with a different alternative. If there is any possibility
that a cat could come into contact with an electric fence (which is your
reason for installing one), it could be dangerous and painful. Yes, I am
familiar with electric fences. However, they are intended for larger
animals. I was once riding a horse which touched an electric fence with his
nose. The moisture on his nose probably intensified the sensation, and he
literally went crazy (with me on his back!). An enclosure such as what
Sherry described could work very well.

Actually, with a small animal fence charger there would not a risk of
harm. They do sting when you touch them, but that's the idea. Once a kitty
touches the "magic wire" and learns that it bites, said kitty remember
that and avoid the wire in the future.
Old February 9th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

Yes, I am familiar with electric fences. However, they are intended for
larger animals.

Electric fences are in fact used to contain all kinds and sizes of
animals. I wish I could afford the type shown on this page:
http://www.sureguard.com.au/cat_electric_fence.html

The neighbor across from us has an electric fence. It is just there to keep
his dogs from attacking the fence every time they see anyone. There is no
way he would risk hurting those dogs or his cats or his grandchildren.

Since he wired it the dogs still charge the fence but come to a screeching
halt and shut up just before they hit it.

Jo

Old February 9th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:

Actually, with a small animal fence charger there would not a risk of
harm. They do sting when you touch them, but that's the idea. Once a kitty
touches the "magic wire" and learns that it bites, said kitty remember
that and avoid the wire in the future.

I may be wrong, but I got the impression this is a fence charger rated
for livestock. Fence chargers aren't created equal; and a charger
designed to keep in a half-ton bull is going to deliver a hell of a
bite to an 8-pound cat. The chargers marketed for small animals
delivery a very low charge. Not to mention what is going to happen if
the thing gets wet and malfunctions.
I can see we are becoming divided on this issue; and first I want to
make clear I don't think Pat would deliberately harm her cats in a
million years. But I don't think she has thought this through.
A cat who is accustomed to free roaming, who is displaced into a
strange, new, unfamiliar territory is going to be upset already. Then
to receive an electric shock every time they try to do what's been
coming naturally to them all their lives is going to make them
downright neurotic, and manifest behavioral problems. Cats just don't
respond the same way dogs/cattle/horses do. They're such a different
critter.
It's not that hard to re-train most cats to stay in an enclosure. I
have free-roaming cats, too. They've been indoors for the last month or
so since the skunk incident, and quite honestly, after the first week,
they adjusted very well.

Sherry

Old February 9th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote

I may be wrong, but I got the impression this is a fence charger rated
for livestock. Fence chargers aren't created equal; and a charger
designed to keep in a half-ton bull is going to deliver a hell of a
bite to an 8-pound cat. The chargers marketed for small animals
delivery a very low charge. Not to mention what is going to happen if
the thing gets wet and malfunctions.

My charger is very small ($20 at the feed store). The charge it delivers
depends to some extent on the length of wire being charged. It has been
adequate to charge a wire about 20' long to keep horses back. After I move,
it will be charging about 400'. It hasn't gotten wet in five years because
it's kept inside! I use insulated wire going through the wall.

I can see we are becoming divided on this issue; and first I want to
make clear I don't think Pat would deliberately harm her cats in a
million years. But I don't think she has thought this through.
A cat who is accustomed to free roaming, who is displaced into a
strange, new, unfamiliar territory is going to be upset already. Then
to receive an electric shock every time they try to do what's been
coming naturally to them all their lives is going to make them
downright neurotic, and manifest behavioral problems. Cats just don't
respond the same way dogs/cattle/horses do. They're such a different
critter.

I've weighed the options carefully. The cost of building an enclosure would
be higher than what I have planned. I am sure the cats will be much happier
having the whole yard available rather than just a small area. Although they
have roamed free, they mostly stick very close to the house except on rare
occasions Abelard wanders off, or one of the others goes down to Gloria's
barn. If I was staying here I would also be doing something to keep them in
the yard because it's too upsetting when Abelard stays out too long.

It's not that hard to re-train most cats to stay in an enclosure. I
have free-roaming cats, too. They've been indoors for the last month or
so since the skunk incident, and quite honestly, after the first week,
they adjusted very well.

I wouldn't want to force them to live indoors permanently unless it was the
only option available (like if I lived in a high-rise apartment or
something - which I will NEVER do). Cats who get outside to run around are
healthier and happier, so as long as they are safe out there, so I want them
to go out and stay out as much as they want.

Old February 9th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
Dan M wrote:

[...]

I hate to say this but I think Pat is equivocating cats in the wild with
cats in town. It's definitely not the same thing. Build an enclosure;
forget about electric fences.

Jill

Old February 11th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:50:23 -0600, "Pat"
wrote:

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

Yes, I am familiar with electric fences. However, they are intended for
larger animals.

Electric fences are in fact used to contain all kinds and sizes of animals.
I wish I could afford the type shown on this page:
http://www.sureguard.com.au/cat_electric_fence.html

I was concerned when I read about your proposed electric fence, like
other posters, but I assumed that you knew to check that the output
was safe for smaller animals - like out furry ones. Actually, I
goggled electric cat fences, and saw the one you posted the link to.

If I were to get an electrical system, I would lean toward those
wireless fences which come with a collar which sounds a beep to warn
the cat away from the fence, but doesn't actually produce a shock
unless they get closer. Of coure, looks like they're more expensive,
and it would require all your cats to actually wear the collar. This
type sounds a lot like clicker training, but it's still negactive feed
back, and I've always heard that cats learn faster through positive
feedback. I guess that would mean you stay by the fence line 24/7 and
hand out treats whenever they turn back from the fence.

The best option I saw (other than an roofed enclosure) would be some
of the flexible cat fencing. The problem with all the cat fences would
be that cats seemed to have trained with houdini, and if there's any
way possible to get out they'll find it.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old February 12th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

My charger is very small ($20 at the feed store). The charge it delivers
depends to some extent on the length of wire being charged. It has been
adequate to charge a wire about 20' long to keep horses back. After I move,
it will be charging about 400'. It hasn't gotten wet in five years because
it's kept inside! I use insulated wire going through the wall.

Ok, if it is adequate to charge a 20' wire it is going to be adequate to
charge 400' feet of wire and still provide a useful charge so that it
remains to be an incentive to not touch it or escape your yard?
Old February 12th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"rrb" wrote

Ok, if it is adequate to charge a 20' wire it is going to be adequate to
charge 400' feet of wire and still provide a useful charge so that it
remains to be an incentive to not touch it or escape your yard?

I think so. I tested it with a 200' length of wire and it still gave me a
pretty good "bite", and that was 10x the distance of the original wire used
to keep the horses off my driveway on the farm. So, doubling it one more
time it should still work for the kitties. If not, there are other chargers
I can check into.