Cat tip

Old April 24th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jimi

Default Cat tip

Hi ,

I'm new to this group, perhaps this has already been mentioned but
thought I would give this tip I have discovered by myself.

I have a very agressive 1-1/2 year old spoiled male cat. We play
constantly and on most occasions, I walk away bleeding and all sctatched to
hell.. What I do after the big play is take a tissue and soak it down with
Hydrogen Peroxide. I wipe down both arms and hands that have been hit with
the scratches and it imediately takes away the sting. Kitty is happy with
his kill and I'm happy it's all over and now painless...LOL Jim

Old April 24th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hi ,

I'm new to this group, perhaps this has already been mentioned but
thought I would give this tip I have discovered by myself.

I have a very agressive 1-1/2 year old spoiled male cat. We play
constantly and on most occasions, I walk away bleeding and all sctatched
to hell.. What I do after the big play is take a tissue and soak it down
with Hydrogen Peroxide. I wipe down both arms and hands that have been hit
with the scratches and it imediately takes away the sting. Kitty is happy
with his kill and I'm happy it's all over and now painless...LOL Jim

You really shouldn't allow your cat to do this - he can be trained to play
with toys instead of your hand. What may not bother you might be considered
an animal attack if he does this to someone else - especially a child - and
in some states cats who attack people must be held in an animal pound until
it's determined that they are disease-free (and sometimes the court will
rule that an animal who has attacked someone to be put down).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 24th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:54:48 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

"Jimi" wrote in message
[...]

And the owner can be sued to the point where he will suffer in poverty for
many, many years. MLB

Old April 25th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jimi

news

"Jimi" wrote in message
[...]

Oh Good Lord,

This kitty is absolutely terrified of the outdoors so he does not go
outside. We have no children, nor are exposing the cat to any children... No
worries... he's a very happy cat that has the run of a 3,350 sq ft home with
all the toys a cat could ever want...I was just giving you a tip on the use
of Hydrogen Peroxide after a heavy play...Regards...Jim

Old April 25th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:17:42 -0600, Jimi wrote:

news

"Jimi" wrote in message
[...]

My tip: You cannot play with a cat the way you play with a dog. If you
do they can get mean. Cats need GENTLE love -- Give him belled balls
to play with and things to climb on, Peroxide is good for an initial
application, but too much can destroy tissue. Use an antibacterial
medication. Good luck. MLB

Old April 25th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 02:59:13 +0000, mlbriggs
wrote:

My tip: You cannot play with a cat the way you play with a dog. If you
do they can get mean. Cats need GENTLE love -- Give him belled balls
to play with and things to climb on, Peroxide is good for an initial
application, but too much can destroy tissue. Use an antibacterial
medication. Good luck. MLB

I let my cats play rough sometimes, but we have a few rules, and they
seem to understand them. For example, they know they can play really
rough if I am wearing my heavy duty gloves. They might occasionally
get me on the arm by accident, but for them it is an interactive toy
to attack the glove. Full teeth and kicker attack. My hands are
relatively safe, and they know they can't play the game when my hands
are bare.

I actually get hurt more when they are in the happy mood where they
decide to give a love bite. Jay Jay doesn't cut me when he bites, but
he bruised me a few times.

Maynard used to chew on me for fun which never hurt. If I had a jean
jacket or heavy sleeve on, then he would bite harder. He seemed pretty
good at knowing what would hurt and what wouldn't.

And they also know that I will not punish them for injuries. I may
stop the game or pull back, but I will never hit or punish them. I
don't mind an occasional scratch.

Maynard never played rough with anybody else. He knew I was safe but
didn't trust anybody else to follow the same rules. Jay Jay will kick
hard with anybody who plays, but he won't bite or scratch. He is still
very cautious when playing with other people.

I did have one cat who was a biter, so I did not initiate this game
with her. She would bite for any reason - playing, angry, even very
happy. We all knew she could be dangerous especially when purring and
appearing very happy. Fortunately, she didn't like new people, so they
were never in a position to get bitten.

Old April 26th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
me

Jimi wrote:
Hi ,

I'm new to this group, perhaps this has already been mentioned but
thought I would give this tip I have discovered by myself.

I have a very agressive 1-1/2 year old spoiled male cat. We play
constantly and on most occasions, I walk away bleeding and all sctatched to
hell.. What I do after the big play is take a tissue and soak it down with
Hydrogen Peroxide. I wipe down both arms and hands that have been hit with
the scratches and it imediately takes away the sting. Kitty is happy with
his kill and I'm happy it's all over and now painless...LOL Jim

Hello Jimi.

When a kitten plays with his littermates he learns from them to
retract his claws and not to bite hard -- so as not to cause pain when
playing.

When a kitten is taken too soon from his litter mates or is an only
kitten -- he never has a chance to learn that.

He does not realize he is causing pain.

Crying out in pain is an universal language.

When he gets too rough with you -- cry out -- *au au* and move
away. His litter mates would have done that.

After a while he will realize he hurt you and he will try to be more
gentle.

Do not expect immediate results - but be patients and give it time.

Old April 29th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:17:42 -0600, Jimi wrote:

news

"Jimi" wrote in message
[...]

That depends completely on the cat. Seriously - I had one cat that used
to love being swung around while in a bag big enough to hold him. I'd
swing it around, put the bag down and the cat would come out a little
shaky but then go right back into the bag and meow until I swung it
around some more.