Help! Fostered cat suffering from severe anxiery

Old July 7th 03, 11:34 PM
Christopher Wiederkehr

Default Help! Fostered cat suffering from severe anxiery

My family and I have moved to the UK and our cat is being looked after
by friends until she fulfills all of the requirements to not be
quarantined in the UK (it will take about six months). She is about
ten years old and has been separated from us for about two weeks. We
just received an email from our friends and apparently our kitty hides
under the bed all day long and only ventures out to eat. The house in
which she is staying has a kitten and a two year old cat. The worst
part of it all (apart from the fact that she is petrified all day
long) is that she has started urinating and pooping all over our
friends' apartment.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old July 8th 03, 12:03 AM
Gail

The cat should be secluded in a room of her own with a bed, litter, food,
and water. Your friend can sit with her, etc. She may or may not be able to
integrate her into her home with the rest of the cats. A move for a 10 year
old cat is traumatic. If the pooping and urinating inappropriately continue,
she should be seen by a vet to rule out a medical problem.
Gail
m...

Old July 8th 03, 03:17 AM
Chris

Are you sure its 6 months... about 4-5months ago I read that it was changed
to 1 month with proper vaccinations, certificates, etc.

Old July 9th 03, 11:40 PM
piggypot

(Christopher Wiederkehr) wrote in message om...
My family and I have moved to the UK and our cat is being looked after
by friends until she fulfills all of the requirements to not be
quarantined in the UK (it will take about six months). She is about
ten years old and has been separated from us for about two weeks. We
just received an email from our friends and apparently our kitty hides
under the bed all day long and only ventures out to eat. The house in
which she is staying has a kitten and a two year old cat. The worst
part of it all (apart from the fact that she is petrified all day
long) is that she has started urinating and pooping all over our
friends' apartment.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Chris! Also try sending your friend an article of clothing with your
smell on it (maybe a t-shirt you've slept in). When trying to
integrate a cat into a new household, it's always helpful for the new
cat to have familiar smells around. And I completely agree that your
cat needs to have a "private place" for at least a little while. Your
friend can let your cat and her other two slowly get used to each
other's smells in the house - they can sniff each other under the door
and on her clothes. She can also try giving your cat a few toys -
let your cat play with them for a few days, then start putting one or
two out with the new cats, at the same time putting one or two of the
existing cats' toys in with your cat. Your cat should also
(obviously) have her own litter box at the beginning. Like the toys
idea, your friend can start putting little bits of used litter in each
other's boxes. The pooping and peeing are definitely signs of a very
unhappy kitty! I hope this helps you!