Cat Psychology

Old February 6th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

Default Cat Psychology

Who knows what a purr is really all about?

If my cat is purring and I leave her alone, I feel
a bit guilty.

If your cat is purring, and you fail to pet her,
does it hurt her feelings?

Old February 6th 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (2/6/2010 6:12 PM):
Who knows what a purr is really all about?

If my cat is purring and I leave her alone, I feel
a bit guilty.

If your cat is purring, and you fail to pet her,
does it hurt her feelings?

Pretty much, if I fail to pet my cat when an opportunity presents
itself, it hurts her feelings. She can give such a LOOK - grandmas have
nothing on her!

Actually, I'm pretty sure in her world, I am only here to pet her,
provide a lap, feed her, and clean the litterbox. Pretty much in that
order

I love my cat. I think she loves me too, but who can tell?

jmc
Old February 7th 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (2/6/2010 6:12 PM):
Who knows what a purr is really all about?

If my cat is purring and I leave her alone, I feel
a bit guilty.

If your cat is purring, and you fail to pet her,
does it hurt her feelings?

Pretty much, if I fail to pet my cat when an opportunity presents itself,
it hurts her feelings. She can give such a LOOK - grandmas have nothing
on her!

Actually, I'm pretty sure in her world, I am only here to pet her, provide
a lap, feed her, and clean the litterbox. Pretty much in that order

I love my cat. I think she loves me too, but who can tell?

Sure cats are hurt whenever they purr and you don't love them back.
Anyone that doesn't know cats can love don't know what love is
to begin with.

Old February 7th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sat, 6 Feb 2010 22:38:52 -0600 from Mark Earnest
:
Sure cats are hurt whenever they purr and you don't love them back.
Anyone that doesn't know cats can love don't know what love is
to begin with.

Sentimental twaddle.

Cats are out for themselves. Through the luck of the evolutionary
draw, their natural behavior (snuggling, purring) mimics affection in
the eyes of us, their humans, but it's not love.

It's really an excellent example of symbiosis. They have managed to
fill a niche in our houses without being expected to do tricks, like
dogs.

Don't get me wrong -- I love cats in general and mine in particular.
But I have no illusion that he has similar feelings for me.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old February 7th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 22:38:52 -0600 from Mark Earnest
:
Sure cats are hurt whenever they purr and you don't love them back.
Anyone that doesn't know cats can love don't know what love is
to begin with.

Sentimental twaddle.

Wouldn't a proper forum on cats be all about sentiments?

Cats are out for themselves. Through the luck of the evolutionary
draw, their natural behavior (snuggling, purring) mimics affection in
the eyes of us, their humans, but it's not love.

It's really an excellent example of symbiosis. They have managed to
fill a niche in our houses without being expected to do tricks, like
dogs.

Don't get me wrong -- I love cats in general and mine in particular.
But I have no illusion that he has similar feelings for me.

Then I guess you never had your tomcat bring you a bird or lizard
it killed especially for you.

Old February 8th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:33:54 -0600 from Mark Earnest
:

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 22:38:52 -0600 from Mark Earnest
:
Sure cats are hurt whenever they purr and you don't love them back.
Anyone that doesn't know cats can love don't know what love is
to begin with.

Sentimental twaddle.

Wouldn't a proper forum on cats be all about sentiments?

Not "all" about, but sentiment is certainly a large part. It's not
the sentiment I object to, but the twaddle.

Don't get me wrong -- I love cats in general and mine in
particular. But I have no illusion that he has similar feelings
for me.

Then I guess you never had your tomcat bring you a bird or lizard
it killed especially for you.

A mouse, actually, but what has that to do with love?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old February 6th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
Who knows what a purr is really all about?

If my cat is purring and I leave her alone, I feel
a bit guilty.

If your cat is purring, and you fail to pet her,
does it hurt her feelings?

I doubt it. My cats purr when contented. When they want something, they
"meow" and pester me.

Old February 7th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
T[_4_]

In article , weg9
@comcast.net says...

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
Who knows what a purr is really all about?

If my cat is purring and I leave her alone, I feel
a bit guilty.

If your cat is purring, and you fail to pet her,
does it hurt her feelings?

I doubt it. My cats purr when contented. When they want something, they
"meow" and pester me.

Same thing here. Angie is a very vocal cat. When she wants something
(For example, she's a milk hound!) she meows very loudly, it's a very
plaintive cry.

But when she's curled up on my lap or belly, the purring commences.

Old February 7th 10, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"T" wrote in message
In article , weg9
@comcast.net says...

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
Who knows what a purr is really all about?

If my cat is purring and I leave her alone, I feel
a bit guilty.

If your cat is purring, and you fail to pet her,
does it hurt her feelings?

I doubt it. My cats purr when contented. When they want something, they
"meow" and pester me.

Same thing here. Angie is a very vocal cat. When she wants something
(For example, she's a milk hound!) she meows very loudly, it's a very
plaintive cry.

But when she's curled up on my lap or belly, the purring commences.

Cats purr when giving birth.